Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
folknride OP
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Day Trippin' Around the Coachella Valley, Ca.

We've been here for just over 3 weeks, doing lots of riding and enjoying the great weather (and feeling sad for the rest of the continent).
Here's a link to a bunch of pictures - some with Mrs. folknride, some with new friend and inmate, denny, some solo, some ride-and-hike. What a beautiful part of the world!
https://picasaweb.google.com/guitaride/2011PalmDesert#
We have almost another month - lots of day trippin' to come.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Nice! Do you have any maps of your route that you can post?
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
folknride OP
Old Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Nice! Do you have any maps of your route that you can post?
I'll try to spend some time and pull the tracks of the GPS. My SPOT trail is here
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...e1oELTvYsMHkzq but it expires (I just realized).

If anyone in the area would like to connect for a ride, drop me a PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,419
Great pics! Thanks for the link.. looks like you're having a superb vacation.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,561
Pics look fantastic. I love that area. When you went to JTNP and took Geology, did you go thru Berdoo Canyon? When in Boreggo, did you happen to continue west on 22 up the mtn? Thats a very nice ride with many options once on top of the hill. Any golfin'?
Hows Picasa working out? I don't have a place to park pictures so I can post. Still a 'newer' & trying to figure it all out.
Keep the pics coming, I can never get too much of the deserts!
Enjoy your time in Kali.
Sam

P.S. Nice bikes
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
folknride OP
Old Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Pics look fantastic. I love that area. When you went to JTNP and took Geology, did you go thru Berdoo Canyon? When in Boreggo, did you happen to continue west on 22 up the mtn? Thats a very nice ride with many options once on top of the hill. Any golfin'?
Hows Picasa working out? I don't have a place to park pictures so I can post. Still a 'newer' & trying to figure it all out.
Keep the pics coming, I can never get too much of the deserts!
Enjoy your time in Kali.
Sam

P.S. Nice bikes
Thanks Sam
I didn't get to Berdoo Canyon Road - the weather started to get pretty nasty - cold, high gusty winds, blowing sand, so I just looped around. I hope to get there though.

Yes, we did go west of Borrego Springs on S22, NW on 79, then 371 and 74 back to Palm Desert - great roads and a little bit of everything the landscape has to offer. Denny led some great twisty rides (and a bit of dirt) in the area bounded by Idyllwild in the North, Jacumba on the south, Salton Sea to the east and Mt. Palomar on the west. I'll try to post some GPS tracks.

We're not golfers, so lots of time to ride. I'm a musician (guitar picker/singer/songwriter), so have been playing some jams and such - our days and nights seem full!

Picassa works fine for me, although I'm reaching the max free space, and will have to decide to remove older pics or but some space.

We were thinking of taking advantage of the fact that everyone will be watching Superbowl today and do a nice ride, but now there are all these dire warnings about drunks on the road so we may just hang out today and watch the tube.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
folknride OP
Old Adventurer

That's gonna leave a mark...

Old 02-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
We've been here for just over 3 weeks, doing lots of riding and enjoying the great weather (and feeling sad for the rest of the continent).
Here's a link to a bunch of pictures - some with Mrs. folknride, some with new friend and inmate, denny, some solo, some ride-and-hike. What a beautiful part of the world!
https://picasaweb.google.com/guitaride/2011PalmDesert#
We have almost another month - lots of day trippin' to come.
I'm heading out by Joshua Tree and Idyllwild just next weekend. After seeing your pix I'm even more anxious to get going.....
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
I always wanted to go the the oasis out there.
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
folknride OP
Old Adventurer

Slab City and Salvation Mountain

I went for a (totally boring - just straight flat hiway) ride to a very interesting destination yesterday - south to the Salton Sea (smells bad!) and Slab City at Niland CA.
Route:

Whatever your religious/spiritual bent is or isn't, I think it would be hard not to be moved in some way by this creation. Leonard Knight has constructed his biblical opus in the southeastern corner of California (near Niland)....it is a very strange place...Leonard is a strange man. I met him and shook his hand. He works every day on his creation, but no longer climbs to the top carrying hay bales. He must be well into his eighties. He constructs the "structure" of some of his spaces with hay bales and old tires.Leonard has spent over 25 years in the the desert. He has volunteers that help him now.
Here are a bunch of pictures - the whole thing kind of defies comment.

I guess I wasn't the first two wheel visitor.

The volunteer fellow told me his first creation was a 200 ft. hot air balloon with this message on it. I probably saved his life by crashing before he could fly in it! Then he started a structure made of concrete and gravel, but an earthquake brought it down. He then switched to the current adobe mixture. which is apparently earthquake resistant!

Vehicles of all sorts don't escape Leonad's message.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
folknride OP
Old Adventurer

More Salvation

They called this part (I think) the museum. It's a more or less enclosed structure (Hobbits would be happy here).

The message is eveywhere, but somehow not in that "in your face" kind of way.

Talk about a tree house!

Some good, practical advice!

Leonard hangs out in the station wagon tent.

The view at the top is pretty impressive.

This was my favorite bit.

Took a quick tour around Slab City - this is where I'm going to retire when I need to retire from my retirement!

No rent - no rules!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post

I've read about this place but never been or even seen pictures of it. Now that I know where it is, I'm going. Thanks.
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
folknride OP
Old Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950 View Post
I've read about this place but never been or even seen pictures of it. Now that I know where it is, I'm going. Thanks.
It looked like there might be some interesting riding around Slab City, but I don't know if that is still in "closed to OHV" territory.
It'll be a long ass haul down the expressway and 111 on your new Italian mistress!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
folknride OP
Old Adventurer

KTM 950 in Palm Springs

Went for a ride (for a latte) in Palm Springs yesterday and parked beside a black '05 (I believe) 950 - ADV stickers, Illinois plate, looked like two up, on Palm Canyon.
If this is you, and you're riding locally for a while, drop me a PM, maybe we'll get a ride together.
I had a 950 exactly like it until Oct. I go the 990.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
folknride OP
Old Adventurer

Today's Ride - Lake Havasu

My wife went shopping, weather is predicted to turn chilly, so I went for a longish desert loop to see what Lake Havasu, Az. is all about.
The route - 685 km (425 mi) - left at 9:00, back at 5:00. I didn't stop much for pictures or anything except gas - just enjoyed those loooong lonely desert hiways. (America and The Eagles kept playing in my brain)

I headed east on I 10, then north up 177 to 62. I don't believe I saw more than 10 other vehicles (only 1 bike) until I got to 95 north to Needles, when the truck and RV traffic hit.
The sky and the expanse of nothingness was intoxicating.

My GPS led me astray a little - it took me to Lake Havasu in a loop from the north, so I had to deal with I 40 for a while.
I have to say I was a little disappointed with Lake Havasu in general, and Havasu City in particular - kind of looked like a giant strip mall. Couldn't find a spot to get a decent picture, the Sate Park wanted to charge me 10 bucks to circle the parking lot (no thanks), then then I watched 3 police cars chase a dirt biker around some gravel roads he was riding.
However, I'm sure it's a great place when you know where to go and what to do.

My lame shots of the lake.

More to come - gotta watch Glee