User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #31
granratfisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Group Buy why pay $800 for a wheel

Thats a good idea. I don't know how many want a tire but I will bet it beats the $800 for a wheel.
granratfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #32
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Wayward View Post
If you are interested, I am happy to supply these from the UK.

Obviously the shipping will be charged at cost, whatever that might be, but if a group of you come up with a larger order, that might keep the price down on shipping, just a thought.
We were just talking about that kind of thing here at the shop. If someone was willing to import a quantity of these tires it would be great. I don't know what kind of quantity would be required or whatever though. If You could get a price on one at a time costs maybe that woudl be okay also.
You are to be commended for the offer Agent. Yes, it is better than buying a pricey wheel not doubt. Yes, we do wheels but this sidecar deal is about a lot more than trying to make a living.. Great folks in the sidecar world.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #33
Agent Wayward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
We were just talking about that kind of thing here at the shop. If someone was willing to import a quantity of these tires it would be great. I don't know what kind of quantity would be required or whatever though. If You could get a price on one at a time costs maybe that woudl be okay also.
You are to be commended for the offer Agent. Yes, it is better than buying a pricey wheel not doubt. Yes, we do wheels but this sidecar deal is about a lot more than trying to make a living.. Great folks in the sidecar world.
Claude,

I'll do anything to promote the use of and help sidecar riders.

I've had numerous PM's about this already, so it looks like there is interest.

Let me sort out a cost and shipping for singles and bulk and I'll be in touch.

AW (Rod)

www.motopodd.com
Agent Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #34
Boondox OP
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by granratfisher View Post
Thats a good idea. I don't know how many want a tire but I will bet it beats the $800 for a wheel.
After weighing both options I'm going with the car wheel. I need to know I can find a replacement tire quickly if I'm on the road 1000 miles from home. But that Potenza sure does look sexy!
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #35
moist
Thaumaturgist

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
After weighing both options I'm going with the car wheel. I need to know I can find a replacement tire quickly if I'm on the road 1000 miles from home. But that Potenza sure does look sexy!
So stock isn't a replacement?
I guess I am confused.
I am going for the group buy. I couldn't be more excited. I know every stinking dealer will have stock tires which will fit well. so Why worry?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #36
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Quote:
The 165 x 15 tires are usually avaiable although a tire dealer may hav eto order them in. They were originally on VW Beetles and there is a large following of those cars so th emanufacture of them will probably go on forever. They are also popular as front tires on some drag cars.
A while back there was a short term shortage of them natiowide (for the most part). I think that maybe it was somewhat of a fluke. Manufacturers may not do constan truns on this size tire due to economic reasons. I usually suggest for our customers to order two of them just in case but so far have had no reports back to us wher eit was necessary.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #37
Boondox OP
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by moist View Post
So stock isn't a replacement?
I guess I am confused.
I am going for the group buy. I couldn't be more excited. I know every stinking dealer will have stock tires which will fit well. so Why worry?
None of the car tire dealers in my area will mount motorcycle tires. And none of the motorcycle dealers will mount car tires on a bike rim for "liability issues." Is that a regional thing or is it that way all over?

And the bead on bike vs car tires looks different to me. I'd like hearing if folks who spoon them on have any trouble with setting the bead.
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #38
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Quote:
None of the car tire dealers in my area will mount motorcycle tires. And none of the motorcycle dealers will mount car tires on a bike rim for "liability issues." Is that a regional thing or is it that way all over?

And the bead on bike vs car tires looks different to me. I'd like hearing if folks who spoon them on have any trouble with setting the bead.
One good thing about having a car wheel on the bike with an adaptor is that it is still a car wheel and not a hybrid. Auto shops have no issue mounting the tire in this case.
As far as MOTORCYCLE shops mounting car tires on bike rims some will and some (probably most) will not do it. Here in the land of lawyers , The good ol' USA', liability concerns are a real issue today. Shop around or learn to do it your self which is not a bad idea.
Technically the rim bea ddesigns are different ion most case although this seems not to create an issue. The exception may be if running low air pressure.
ALL disclamers apply, close cover before striking, do not take internally, harmful or fatal if swallowed, may cause rash, irregular heart beat, fever, loss of eyesite, breathing difficulties, and in the state of California all kinds of other bad things. To take any advice or perceived advice given within the confines of this and/or other forums similar to this it is to be understood that it is your decsision to do so and you and you and or your heirs will take sole responsibility for the final outcome whether living or deceased ..amen

Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #39
moist
Thaumaturgist

Quote:

OK if they (motorcycle shop) can't order one for you and they don't know the source or the intended use,,,,,,,,,,,,?

I have never had an issue with tire swaps since there is always some back door guy willing to help and do it cheaply.
I planned on telling the bike shop it is a "new experimental motorcycle tire from Europe." They aren't out to shaft you, they just don't want the insane liability laws to eat their lunch for them.
LIE....it has worked for government for hundreds of year.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #40
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,371
Here in Washington,there alot of Lotus's,they even use them here for the racing school.SO where are they getting the tire's?????>
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #41
granratfisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Agent in UK

I need two , price please. Thanks Joe
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #42
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
I'm interested if it looks like it will fit the rear V Strom wheel.

But is there an advantage of this tire over the General Exclaim which I believe is available on this side of the pond?
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #43
moist
Thaumaturgist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxertwin View Post
I'm interested if it looks like it will fit the rear V Strom wheel.

But is there an advantage of this tire over the General Exclaim which I believe is available on this side of the pond?
Your strom uses the same rear sized tire as the GS bunch, doesn't it? I always believed it did and we went to Zook shops for tires if Beemer shops didn't exist.

The only issue might be sidewall clearance for the chain or height clearance for frame or fender.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #44
granratfisher
Gnarly Adventurer

GS and Storm

It fits the Strom 1000. If we can get them from England Joe
Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #45
Agent Wayward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
I'm waiting to hear back from suppliers guys, I'll post up as soon as I have a good price for you.

:)

www.motopodd.com
Agent Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote