User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
norton(kel) OP
vintage

Oddometer: 1,052
Veterans Day

Happy Veterans day to all my Brothers and Sisters who have served this great nation. Thank you all for your service. I'm on my way out into the snow for my vets day ride.

Jim
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton(kel) View Post
Happy Veterans day to all my Brothers and Sisters who have served this great nation. Thank you all for your service. I'm on my way out into the snow for my vets day ride.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I'm sorry I lost the Viet Nam conflict I was just a little drunk ! It all worked out though now they build our shoes Have a nice ride !
Old 11-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
pagomichaelh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
'Thank you for your service'.

The first time I heard that was in '03, when I went up to HI for some medical work at VA (life threatening, but not service related).

At first, I thought it was something VA told their employee's to say (which they may have), but then I heard it also from regular 'civilians', and it wasn't just being mouthed, it was sincere.

Frankly, I was shocked.

When I was traveling on leave in '72, wearing my AG44s with the infantry rope and SGT stripes, being spat on in the airport, called a baby killer, and just generally humiliated for doing what I was brought up to think was my duty by my parents (who were 1st generation Americans).

So, for all you Vets, from my heart, 'Thank you for your service'.

I've been ill the past week, but if I can pull myself together enough to tackle the twisty's into town, there's a ride on the agenda with my son (he has a library book due, and a good excuse is better than none). Where I work, we have a policy that Vet's get the day off, as one of the founders was a Guadalcanal (navy) vet.

pagomichaelh screwed with this post 11-11-2014 at 09:06 AM Reason: Had to talk about sidecars! :)
pagomichaelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

Oddometer: 359
Veterans Day 2014

Thank you for your service and enjoy your ride! I was at the Auburn, WA Veterans Day Parade over the weekend - many riders in the parade. I have few pics to share but none of riders...

kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
jaydmc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
I was at Home Depot picking up crating wood, most of the parking spots were full except for the handicap spots. Then we spotted two signs that had been changed to Veterans parking only. So as a veteran I parked. Nice of Home Depot to do this.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
ChiliPepperGarage
Spork

Oddometer: 14
When I ETS'd out in the 70's the first thing I did when I walked off Ft Dix was change out of my uniform. I was bad enough having short hair then I didn't want any additional attention. I don't even know what became of all my uniforms as well as some of the medals. It would be cool if I still had them, although I certainly wouldn't fit in them anymore!

I think it is wonderful that vets get positive recognition now (although I have to admit, I do get a slight tinge of jealousy).
ChiliPepperGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,273
Our church had a Veterans Day celebration on Sunday and all the veterans were asked to come to the front of the church to be recognized.
I am a USAF veteran and was honored to be standing next to a 93 year old WWII Army veteran.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
lytle1gw
oldguy

Oddometer: 82
I too was USAF 65-69, went thru a lot of harassment when arrived in California in 69 after 1 year over. Purple Heart and Bronze Star w/v device.
Didn't even go to VA till 2007, and VFW that was here didn't want me to join because of where I served. Still a lot of ill feelings towards the hippie crowd and a lots worse towards the guys that fled to Canada. And I won't say what I think of Carter for letting them come back.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage View Post
When I ETS'd out in the 70's the first thing I did when I walked off Ft Dix was change out of my uniform. I was bad enough having short hair then I didn't want any additional attention. I don't even know what became of all my uniforms as well as some of the medals. It would be cool if I still had them, although I certainly wouldn't fit in them anymore!

I think it is wonderful that vets get positive recognition now (although I have to admit, I do get a slight tinge of jealousy).
I walked out of FT Dix April 30th 1976. If you remember they had recycle barrels in the mens room where most changed. Spent the in the Philadelphia Airport waiting to go home.. I too didn't want the attention...Brought a fatige shirt & a Field jacket, they both shrunk....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
It wasn't just the guys that served in Southeast Asia that got spit on. I was going through the San Diego airport in '72 and got spit on and called a baby killer by a woman that had to be in her 60's then. I made the mistake of travelling into Kalifornia in uniform (Military discount). I can't describe my utter shock. On some levels it still amazes & disturbs me after all this time.

But a nice hare krishna dude came over and tried to make up for her bad behavior by selling me a book ...

I never served in 'Nam, so my hat is off to those that did. Times were not so good in the US back then. I can't imagine going so far away from home to fight for what was happening here at the time - then coming home to a very ungrateful nation.

Agreed - Carter sucked as pres.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
I spent my tour in Germany.. It didn't matter they treated anyone in uniform that way..I'm glad things have changed....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Me too. It's nice things have changed for the better.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,061
I lived in the hippie ghetto in Montreal back then and there were a lot of young American boys around. Nice kids BTW.

We had a bit of a situation in Ottawa a couple of weeks ago with a crazy shooting and killing a reservist standing guard at the war memorial then heading into our parliamant buildings till he was finallt shot. Another soldier run down by a car south of Montreal. 2 million more poppies sold this year than last so people are thinking more about it. Got me on the web yesterday searching for an ancestor who died in the Boer War. Burried in the family plot up on Mount Royal is all I know about him and info is hard to come by.

Did you see the over 888,000 ceramic poppies representing the 888,246 dead in London ...pretty cool

Old 11-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post

Did you see the over 888,000 ceramic poppies representing the 888,246 dead in London ...pretty cool
....... And that's just those that died in WW I according to one source I read ..... Makes you wonder how many others made the sacrifice in the other European conflicts over the centuries.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,958
I hope this won't offend Norton who maybe the only other sensible man of this forum
[IMG][/IMG]