User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Spartandude OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Spartandude ride through Sam Houston National Forest

After the cold week here in normally sunny gulf coast Texas I was worried that it would be too slippery to ride:
Brrr…coating of ice.

But with only frost on the ground I asked my honey if I could go ride (she had a presentation she was working on that would tie her to the computer all day, poor thing). She said to go enjoy myself and off I went. I tried Google’ing my route, but I couldn’t get the print function on Google maps to work. Oh well such is life. Anyway I skimmed this map and memorized where I wanted to go.

Heading out for 102 miles of I-45. Passed a massive wreck and danced through traffic. Borring…
I finally got to the New Waverly exit and rode up to Sam Houston National Forest. I saw a sign for “Multi-Use Trail Parking” and decided to check it out. Hmm…motorcycle 3 mi? That sounds promising.

Oh, I’m not supposed to park here? Oops, moving on…

Just some riding through the forest.

There were many, many trail bike crossings. They looked like so much fun, but after getting about 100 yards down this one discretion (or fear?) got the best of me and I turned around. Turning my 500 pound pig around on a single track was not what I would call fun. At least I didn’t get stuck in the mud with my street tires.

More gravel, more trees. Lovely.

These palms were the greenest things I saw. The cold snap really painted the landscape with a brown swath. I will have to come back after the flowers are out.

Little bike; big trees.

Spartandude screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 11:11 AM
Spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Spartandude OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just had to stop and check this culvert out.

These once were liquid containers that were repurposed into drain pipes by cutting the ends off. I thought the iron work looked cool.

Bike on the culvert.

Downstream.

Beautiful green moss.

Back on the road. Ooh, twisties!

I took a turn down a less used road. It was quite lovely until I came to this mud hole. I walked ahead and checked the sides of that puddle ahead and decided I needed nobbies before I tried that. Turn around again. Call me chicken if you wish; I didn’t feel like explaining why I got the shadow stuck.

Gorgeous tall trees and not so gorgeous me cluttering up the picture.

Machine and nature.

Seed pods promising new life in front of a burnt out giant.

Spartandude screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 11:15 AM
Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
Spartandude OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The burnt tree.

I took a side road that had a sign stating “Hidden Mana.” I was intrigued and was disappointed when I came to this end of the road.

So I took a picture of their secluded solitude. I’m not that tall, but with my long arms I can pretend.

After popping out of the loop through the woods onto FM 1374 “Possum Walk” Road I filled up on gas and headed back on FM 1375 and into the forest. I saw a public boat launch, but the sign stating “Fee Due, All Ye Who Enter Here” just sounded ominous so I skipped it and cruised on to this bridge and snapped a few pictures of Lake Conroe and the bridge.

After the bridge I was looking for a small side road that I had seen on Google. It looked like it went straight down a peninsula and ended at the lake. I figured it might get me to the lake without having to pay for it. Finally I found it. Long straight as an arrow road surrounded by beautiful trees.
Pavement.

Gravel.

Hey there’s the end.

No dice on getting to the lake on the road, but hey, there’s a foot path. I can do it and there’s the lake.

Spartandude screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 11:20 AM
Old 02-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Spartandude OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The ground was quite squishy so I didn’t ride any further and just hoofed it to the shore.

Looking back at the bike.

Now to get this lump of iron turned around. Pant…pant…pant.

Cruising back up the road.

I made it back to FM 1375 and went west and turned left on FM 149. Soon I happened across this historical marker. Apparently I am now riding on the historical pioneer route between the Montgomery, Huntsville and Houston that eventually had a telegraph stretched along it.

Continuing on I got to ride some lovely curves.

I saw a sign for Montgomery historic down town and being hungry decided to stop in. This place looks promising. The current building is only about 15 years old, but the restaurant had moved a block over from its old location in the former post office / barber shop building (“That place was terrible to work in” – Victoria a waitress there). During the 70s there was a huge amount of interest in the old west and this town catered to it by having a fake main street where the current restaurant resides. With shootouts staged at noon on the weekends for the tourists (“It didn’t last very many years, but it sure was fun” – Hank local patron who the waitress brought over after I was asking nosey questions about the towns history). Hank told me to check out the goat statue at the well (“hugh?” – me).
Old Montgomery Steak House.

I rate it a 6 out of 10. Why does no one put spices on the meat? Oh, well. The company was excellent, talkative and friendly.

I went up to the town hall (now the community building) and found the goat statue Hank had told me about.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Spartandude OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A bit of history about Charles Stewart who designed the Texas flag and was one of this towns doctors during its heyday. Busy guy, he was the first Secretary of State in Texas.

More history. Hank had mentioned that the town of Montgomery used to be a staging point for the regions lumber and cotton trades which would be transported to Galveston’s port by way of wagon. This brought money streaming in and made Montgomery the center of commerce in the area. The county seat was there for a few years until the railroad went through the neighboring town of Conroe which made Conroe the local economic juggernaut and Montgomery dwindled into the quaint Texas town it is today.

When the county seat was here they had a prison. This cage was housed in a wooden house that no longer exists. Hey, let me out!

Fine, don’t let me out. I’ll just take a rest.

Not exactly roomy or maybe they just had shorter criminals back then. The gap under my legs is from me laying on the bed and having my feet go up the wall for room.

I didn’t exactly like how this picture turned out, but it is the best I have of down town Montgomery.

As I was heading back to I-45 on Texas 105 I saw a sign for “Historical Marker 1 mile” and had to stop.
Joseph Bennett was quite amazing. He led a company of volunteers to go to the aid of the embattled Alamo. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for their survival) he and his men were too late to help as the Alamo had already fallen to Santa Anna. Turning around he joined up with Sam Houston’s main army, was promoted to Lt. Colonel and led the 2nd regiment of volunteers at the battle of San Jacinto.

Unfortunately nothing is left of his homestead and Wally world has sunk its hooks into this area. Have I mentioned I am not a fan of Walton’s brainchild?

It was getting on in the day and I had miles to go. So I hopped on I-45 and cruised back to the safety of my home.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
Spartandude OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A question for the inmates (and mods too); are the pictures too large? I could use the other links in smug mug if it would help.

Let me know.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
preacher dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Thanks man I enjoyed rhe trip......
Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,606
Nice RR. Not a Mod, but i think the pictures are fine size-wise. I need to make a trip across the Red River to check out the NF. Looks very nice.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #9
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 753
Very nice report and photos

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #10
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,828
Nice pics and write up. Thanks.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,620
Good size on pics, good pics, next bike for you with knobs, more dirt, you have the adventure spirit.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Spartandude OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I will keep using the "XLarge photos...They make for truly impressive forum posts" link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Good size on pics, good pics, next bike for you with knobs, more dirt, you have the adventure spirit.
I have the bike to save on gas for my day job, but once I've gotten out from a bit more debt then I could totally go for something more...competent.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartandude View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I will keep using the "XLarge photos...They make for truly impressive forum posts" link.

I have the bike to save on gas for my day job, but once I've gotten out from a bit more debt then I could totally go for something more...competent.
I sense a KLR in your future.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
Elder_Rogue
Loser Gone Wild

Oddometer: 141
Thumb

Enjoyed the RR, would love to make a trip down your way.

Loved the town goat stuff.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #15
Spartandude OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
I sense a KLR in your future.

KLR, DR, WR, GS, XR, wee-strom, KTM adventure, etc. It's easy to chose a capable bike when you can't afford any of them.