User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
Doc_Busa OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Fork Springs for LC4 Adv.

I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on fork springs for the KTM Adv? I put Eibach's in the my old LC4, and it was a HUGE improvement. Just curious if you have any thoughts on a set for hauling a 270 lb rider plus some gear?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2005, 02:31 AM   #2
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
Check your WP importer, they will give the correct spring rates, I would go for linear springs rather than progressive, otherwise you lose off road ability, also upgrade the rear spring to suit.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:35 AM   #3
Jerome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I was offered the Dakar fork and rear springs to replace my originals which were shagged.

I'm afraid i cant remember the specs for the front ones but the rear (have you sorted this already?) was a 260 / 75-95 progressive one so it's way harder than the standard 260/70 and might work for you.

If it's any interest both are in Sao Paulo, Brazil at the KTM importer. Tel: +55-11-30826577. E-Mail: ktm@ktm.com.br

The owner, Waldyr, speaks fluent English and is very knowledgeable.

www.fowb.co.uk
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
I think the stock rate is .44, as far as I know there are .46 and .48 springs available through WP, and various suspension shops, etc.

http://www.factoryconnection.com/pro...orkSprings.htm
Old 01-16-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Scoot Jockey
BST Faithful

Oddometer: 73
I weigh about 250lbs and switched last fall from the stock 4.4 WP springs to the 4.8 springs. I was a bit nervous in making this decision, in thinking that this spring rate may be too stiff, but it worked out great! It no longer feels like I am going over the handlebars when I make a quick stop, and still feels great doing 80+ mph over desert roads. I believe that 4.8 is the stock spring rate for the 950 and also the 660 rallye bikes. At 270lbs I would recommend doing the switch, and also swap out the rear spring to the 75/260 or 80/260. the preload then needs to be adjusted to within the specs stated in your WP booklets that came with your bike. When adjusting the preload on my front springs, I found that WP or KTM had more shims in one side than they did in the other, so one side had about 1/8" more preload! Not a huge deal, just kinda strange. With the new springs, I was able to adjust the preload on both front and rear, so that I am still within the adjustment range, whether it is just me riding, or me and 100 lbs of luggage.

Enjoy
Scoot Jockey
Scoot Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:09 AM   #6
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,168
Couple of questions for y'all, if I am 200lbs, then standard gear should put me between there and 250; adventure gear should put me up around 300. What do I, when I have the money..., set for? It sounds like scoot jockey is fine with his springs over a 100lb range. I guess this is something that the shops will know.

Also, Buckster, what's the problem with progressive springs off-road? It almost sounded like Jerome was given a Rallye spring which he said was progressive?

Maybe there is a chart somewhere that shows what weight range would work with what shock/fork spring setups? I guess that would be bike dependant as well but we do have the front/rear weights for the LC4s around here somewhere.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote