User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #166
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
Thumb

Well, after 166 miles today I'm still happy with it. No rattles, no drama at all. It lives up to the Atomic Moto review with no if's and buts. Fit is good for an oval head. It fits slightly larger than my HJC MX lid in the same size.

The vents that close are ok for this price range, I wonder what they could have done for another $40? The chin strap will probably be too big for most every one and will need to be tightened up practically all they way. My face is round... ok fat... and I use most of the adjustment. I cut about 4" off the strap and shortened the webbing up till I hit a label. It could tighten more but, it was good enough for me. I wear the quick release two or three notches from full tight so it has lots of room and can tighten another 1" or so if needed for a skinny lad. So, it works fine with trimming.

It cuts through air better than my MX lids, the visor is usable and does block sun. Haven't hit a tree limb or the like but, its not just for show. Venting is good, not as much as I expected with so many vents, but good. The shield closes things up and with ear plugs it produces much less noise than my Nolan N-102 on the same bike. It does not try and rip your head off like many mx lids, just tilt your head down and even high winds are fine. Cuts right through! The wind catching ability increases over 70 mph a good bit, head checks are ok at speed. An open shield produces less pull during head turns.

The goggles worked great with it, easy to slide the strap under the visor and shield. I only saw reflections inside with my mirror sun glasses, clear goggles did not reflect behind the shield.

I wish it had a solid vent position on the shield, its either too big an opening or too weak and closes on me above 60 mph. No biggie, I will probably add a little hold open for high speed summer days or rain. So many lids have the same issue of no cracked open position that actually holds tight. Most of the time its open or closed anyway, I will have to see how it does in wet conditions, I usually need it cracked for fogging issues. It does flow more air than most others, it may be ok in wet fogging conditions if your moving...

I rode off road in 80 degree temps at it vented ok with goggles. I really like the room around my ears. I agree with the 1/3 size bigger comment but, I would like to know if the liner is thinner in the XXL verses the XL? I like the XXL cheek pads, they fit perfect. The liner is just snug up top on the sides right now, if it doesn't change much I'll be great. The front to back is really a good fit. My nose it close to the breath guard but, it doesn't touch..

Its an amazing DS helmet at any price IMO. I see no reason not to be happy with it. The fit is number one for me and it passed that with flying colors. It fits an American head right out of the box and does not need a melting credit card for purchase...

Crappy phone pics:

sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #167
Abomb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Great review sage. Cannot wait to get my L.
Abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #168
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

More pics

hi-viz shots:

Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #169
darkshadow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Just ordered a M White Strike
darkshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #170
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
concern

In reference to sagedrifter's post, I'm just a little concerned with the pull that these dual sport helmets have on my head. I just rode last night with a Fulmer ADV lid for the first time and at 45 mph I turned my head slightly and the pull was frightening. Now, my comparison is to a street full face helmet.
So, I guess my question is, will all these dual sport helmets pull to some degree? I'm interested in the AFX 39, but I don't want to buy one if it's going to pull my head around.
Can you advise? I know in the above review there was a reference to the AFX 39 not pulling and it's fairly smooth. Anyone else have anything to add about how it feels with the pulling effect?
Thanks good people!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:02 AM   #171
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
In reference to sagedrifter's post, I'm just a little concerned with the pull that these dual sport helmets have on my head. I just rode last night with a Fulmer ADV lid for the first time and at 45 mph I turned my head slightly and the pull was frightening. Now, my comparison is to a street full face helmet.
So, I guess my question is, will all these dual sport helmets pull to some degree? I'm interested in the AFX 39, but I don't want to buy one if it's going to pull my head around.
Can you advise? I know in the above review there was a reference to the AFX 39 not pulling and it's fairly smooth. Anyone else have anything to add about how it feels with the pulling effect?
Thanks good people!
Yes, they do pull more than a smaller profile street helmet. Why would they not? The Fulmer is not that great to compare with IMO though..

I you need a DS helmet you would know it already or you would feel the need to ride with a MX helmet. If you don't use MX style goggles, the dirt type helmets are really just for looks on the street. Good on you for not being a poser, buy and ride with a helmet that meets your riding style.

I hate riding in a street helmet off road, they get all hot and the shield gets dusty.. You have to open it and wear glasses off road anyway. I like goggles better, no dust in my eyes, no wind making my eyes tear up.

If you have to ask then obviously your mainly on the pavement or at higher speeds. I use my DR650 on trails and forestry roads where the speeds are lower and the MX qualities of a DS helmet shine. Then when you hit the pavement again you have the street qualities and the smaller visor, a real shield, working vents etc.for blasting along at 60 mph or more.

Ride more dirt roads and and create the need for a good DS helmet. I bought a Dual Sport to actually ride a lot off pavement... Street helmets suck when your trying to get your goggles on...
Old 04-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #172
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Thanks good people!

I agree with Sage, the context of your question should be considered for the answer.

If you have tried a DS helmet and did not like it, because of how it behaved in the wind, I have doubts that you will like any. I feel this one behaves excellent in the wind, but I did notice and comment on pulling when my head was turned. Some DS helmets will be better than others, but the simple detail is that a visor is a big long piece of plastic sticking off the top of the helmet, and is is not going to go through the wind like a street helmet. Comparing a street helmet to a DS helmet for aerodynamics, the street helmet will be better, period.

If you need or want a helmet with a visor, then your comparison is amongst DS helmets. In this context, the AFX does well for cutting through the wind. Also, 45 mph is pretty slow, and the AFX is fine at that speed. Heck, my Airoh Stelt MX helmet is fine at that speed. (BTW, my $400 AGV AX-8 is terrible for aerodynamics. Size XL, white. I'll sell it cheap.)

Conversely, a street helmet is miserable for any sort of aggressive off road riding. The proximity of the front of the helmet to the face leads to fogging, the more plush liner is hotter, and they have less aggressive venting systems. Some hearty folks do it, but they are on the fringes of a street helmet usage envelope.

It is important to remember what a DS helmet is, and what it does. Like most DS gear, it has areas of compromise. Sometimes when a product catches on, momentum starts pushing it outside its intended use (like a certain waterproof suit I sell that is NOT street gear....). In your case, from reading your post carefully, you probably would be disappointed with this (or any) DS helmet.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #173
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,058
Got my FX39 yesterday and so far so good. The fit was pretty close, a bit tight in the forehead, but almost every helmet fits me that way, a little spoon work and they fit better. It may need a bit more after i get some miles on it. The build quality and attention to details is pretty nice, especially for the price point.
My only issue is neither of my goggles fit inside the eyeport tight enough to make a good seal. This will be a problem in the Jersey dusty sand this weekend. I grabbed my girlfriends cheaper Scott's and they fit fine. I do not know the model of my two goggles one pair are from Smith and the other Scott, but one has some vents for slow speed enduro stuff, and the other has a few extra bells and whistles, which makes them a bit bigger.
RichBeBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #174
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

dual sport?

BP, I ride an 06' Tiger, which sees occasional gravel roads and creek crossings, so my interest in a DS helmet has a little validity, so is there justification for a DS helmet if there is mild usage? I guess that's the question I have to answer myself. A DS helmet not really to look cool, but for visibility, sun shielding, and it's cooler than a street helmet.
I guess I have some thinking to do...thanks for the viewpoint and thanks to other inmates as well.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #175
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
BP, I ride an 06' Tiger, which sees occasional gravel roads and creek crossings, so my interest in a DS helmet has a little validity, so is there justification for a DS helmet if there is mild usage? I guess that's the question I have to answer myself. A DS helmet not really to look cool, but for visibility, sun shielding, and it's cooler than a street helmet.
I guess I have some thinking to do...thanks for the viewpoint and thanks to other inmates as well.
There are two barometers you can use to answer that. First one is: how much top gear asphalt riding you do. Riding on the street for long periods in a DS helmet is fine, IF it is the type where you are shifting, braking, turning, more active on the bike. Conversely, any time when you are sitting mostly still, in top gear, they will drive you nuts.

That is a key thing about street gear......when you are rolling along at a steady speed, you have a lot of time to focus on every single little detail that you do not like. Off road tends to distract you from flaws in your gear.

The other barometer is aerobic activity. If you are riding on more aggressive terrain, or pushing the bike, or hiking, etc. your heart rate and breathing will be elevated...and you'll be hot. In a street helmet, this will kinda suck. In a DS helmet, they vent much, much better, which is what you want.

Based on what you describe, it will be good. But, if your ride home from those creek crossings and gravel roads is a long slab at 70, it will grab some wind.

I did overlook one thought: you can remove the visor, basically converting it into a street helmet. Someone asked me about this earlier, it is not convenient, but it is easy. Two screws on the side, one on the top. AFX includes covers for the shield with every helmet.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #176
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Useful feature

Now that thought actually might persuade me to get one. The feature of taking off the peak, so it's a street helmet is very appealing. Just knowing that you can do this, is cool. This may be a very good summer helmet option. I like the hi viz color as well, since I commute.
Let me research and see if I can find some pictures of the peak removed.
Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #177
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Got my FX39 yesterday and so far so good. The fit was pretty close, a bit tight in the forehead, but almost every helmet fits me that way, a little spoon work and they fit better. It may need a bit more after i get some miles on it. The build quality and attention to details is pretty nice, especially for the price point.
My only issue is neither of my goggles fit inside the eyeport tight enough to make a good seal. This will be a problem in the Jersey dusty sand this weekend. I grabbed my girlfriends cheaper Scott's and they fit fine. I do not know the model of my two goggles one pair are from Smith and the other Scott, but one has some vents for slow speed enduro stuff, and the other has a few extra bells and whistles, which makes them a bit bigger.
Scott Voltage X fits, my old Scott Rangers are fine too.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #178
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Now that thought actually might persuade me to get one. The feature of taking off the peak, so it's a street helmet is very appealing. Just knowing that you can do this, is cool. This may be a very good summer helmet option. I like the hi viz color as well, since I commute.
Let me research and see if I can find some pictures of the peak removed.
Thanks again.

Sheesh....kind of an ugly looking thing.....

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 04-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #179
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Once you build up your neck muscles, you won't bother removing the visor. I tried it once on my MX lid, after a while I was not bothered by it. I feel naked without the visor when I switch back to my Shark RSI..
Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #180
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

More arrivals

Another shipment arrived to the vendor today. Lots of size Mediums and Smalls, along with some Strike models. So, the below SKUs have all arrived, although a few have already sold out:

Black M
Black L
Black XL
Black 2XL

Pearl White S

Pearl White M
Pearl White L
Pearl White XL

Matte Black S

Matte Black M

Matte Black L

Matte Black XL
Matte Black XXL

Silver S
Silver M
Silver L
Silver XL
Silver XXL

Red Strike S
Red Strike XL
Silver Strike XL
White Strike M
White Strike L
White Strike XL

Urban Camo M
Urban Camo L
Urban Camo XL

For our part, we have worked really hard over the last 2 weeks to understand the correct fit of these (they run a little large). We were initially a little sideways, but we now have all customer preorders either corrected or confirmed, and have a good handle on things.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 02:15 PM