Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #196
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZDon View Post
That's rather interesting, as I have yet to see an AFX helmet in any dealer in Canada, and AFX's website, although it shows head office in London, Ontario, lists only US retailers in its "where to buy" section.

In any event, BP, you seem to be the only dealer that actually has this helmet in stock, so take all the sales from the other guys and retire early. And tell AFX to add you to their list of preferred retailers ;)

To be clear, many dealers have them by now, but not all sizes / colors. Most are in, but a few remaining colorways are trickling in over the next 1-2 weeks.

We like this helmet, spent a lot of time studying it, and hope you work with us. But many other good shops have them too.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #197
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,448
I solved my problem with the cheek pads... I took them out

Not sure the XXL pads would be much better than the XLs but may be willing to try them when they become available.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #198
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
I have found this to be a great helmet and in a slow speed lay down it did it's job very well. My head hit the pavement quite hard and I lifted the Strom up and rode home.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #199
bharath316
Madbull

Oddometer: 85
Question which color???

Now totally confused on which color to order. I've got a Blue/Silver KLR.
Marpat is cool n new. Silver looks very nice.

so many choices..... :-(
06 Royal Enfield Thunderbird

bharath316 screwed with this post 04-29-2011 at 01:43 PM
bharath316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #200
nonamehorse
Concrete Jungle

Oddometer: 120
BP,
My silver M arrived today. Perfect fit! Many thanks to you and the BOMBERS for the great service and all the sizing assistance.
nonamehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #201
alfabc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Tried the AFX FX-39 today

I tried out my medium AFX FX-39 helmet today. The fit, once the chin strap was adjusted (had to really pull the tag through the d rings) it fit fine. The panoramic view was truly clear and undistorted. The helmet is very cool, and I had to close all the vents (57 degrees and sunny). Once up past 30mph the noise started to get a little loud. Then at around 55mph, the visor started to vibrate and make a heck of a noise. Once I adjusted visor, the noise went away. This helmet is noisier than my Shoei RF1000 for sure. Even with custom molded ear plugs, the noise was higher than I like. I use a Cee Bailey screen on the BMW to help keep air flow noise to a minimum. I'll continue to use the helmet on short jaunts to the dirt, and in the dirt at speeds under 30mph, but will most likely look for a less noisy helmet for long hauls on pavement to get to dirt. Or, I might just carry two helmets. The amazing thing is, for the price, the build quality is really good. I like the fact that there's enough room in the front to use a Camel Back water tube while wearing the helmet.

Cheers,

Bill
2001 BMW F650GS
alfabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #202
fattires
Wandering aimlessly...

Oddometer: 312
Any idea when the Hi viz in XL might be in. I ordered a long time ago and am trying to patiently wait
Old 05-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #203
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,328
Got my FX-39 from Revzilla today. Took it out of the box and the fit was good but the first thing I usually look at on helmets is how the shield fits against the seal when it's closed. This helmet, like most cheap ones, has a shield that does not press snugly on the seal when in closed position. Not only that but the small extended ridge of the seal that is supposed to press against the shield isn't even positioned to come in contact with it in some areas, like by the nose. So, the shield does not seal at all. The rest of the helmet was fairly nice and I might have kept it but for the shield sealing issue which is a show stopper for me, indicates poor engineering IMO. As it is, the helmet's going back.

However I agree that for the price it's probably a good helmet.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #204
Abomb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
Got my FX-39 from Revzilla today. Took it out of the box and the fit was good but the first thing I usually look at on helmets is how the shield fits against the seal when it's closed. This helmet, like most cheap ones, has a shield that does not press snugly on the seal when in closed position. Not only that but the small extended ridge of the seal that is supposed to press against the shield isn't even positioned to come in contact with it in some areas, like by the nose. So, the shield does not seal at all. The rest of the helmet was fairly nice and I might have kept it but for the shield sealing issue which is a show stopper for me, indicates poor engineering IMO. As it is, the helmet's going back.

That is strange. Mine seals just fine. Shield makes contact all the way around the gasket. No air or water leakage what so ever. Maybe notify Revzilla and they will replace it for you. Have not heard of any others having that issue.
Abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #205
indykwak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
My shield doesn't seal closed as easily as some other helmets, it takes some intentional effort to close. But nothing that would deter me from buying the helmet or cause me to send it back. Just something to make sure is done, before you take off down the road.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #206
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,930
Shipment #5 arrived to the vendor today. Most all Strike graphics except some XXLs. Most all SKUs except hi viz yellow, shields, and liner parts are now in.

Black S
Black M
Black L
Black XL
Black 2XL

Pearl White S

Pearl White M
Pearl White L
Pearl White XL

Matte Black S

Matte Black M

Matte Black L

Matte Black XL
Matte Black XXL

Silver S
Silver M
Silver L
Silver XL
Silver XXL

Red Strike S
Red Strike M
Red Strike L
Red Strike XL

Blue Strike L

White Strike XS
White Strike S
White Strike M
White Strike L
White Strike XL
White Strike XXL

Silver Strike XS
Silver Strike S
Silver Strike M
Silver Strike L
Silver Strike XL

Black Strike S
Black Strike M
Black Strike L
Black Strike XL

Urban Camo S
Urban Camo M
Urban Camo L
Urban Camo XL
Urban Camo XXL

For people looking for Hi viz yellow, they have been delayed a fair amount. Originally scheduled for 1st/2nd week of May, they are now arriving 1st / 2nd week of JUNE. Shields and parts also.

Thanks.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #207
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post

My shield does not seal squeaky tight, BUT...that leakage does not contribute noise...and helps reduce fogging..in factthis helmet is amazing in that there is plenty of air flow, and stays reasonably quiet...amazingly nice for the price...if I were to complain, it would be about the quick release buckle...not use to it yet...and no....this is not a cold weather helmet
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #208
Bagataway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath316 View Post
Now totally confused on which color to order. I've got a Blue/Silver KLR.
Marpat is cool n new. Silver looks very nice.

so many choices..... :-(
I've got a 2009 Blue KLR (not as much silver) and went with Urban Camo...
Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #209
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,399
Thumb Me likie

Mine is still doing fine, no rattles no issues at all. Seals good and the shield is clear and doesn't fog much closed since there is enough air flow when moving. Its no wind tunnel though, I ride most of the time with the shield up with sun glasses till the speeds are over 60 or so. Then I flip it closed and it even closes with goggles for rain or quick high speed jaunts with bugs nailing the shield not your skin/face...

Fits my oval head well. I like it better than my more expensive lids, finally a low priced DS lid for actual DS riding. I would buy a lighter version of the helmet for a higher price... they need a carbon version or something.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #210
robotsthrowingrocks
pray for snow

Oddometer: 103
Got mine today. White L.

Initial impressions are good. The helmet seems very high quality. The fit seems pretty good. I normally straddle a L and an XL for helmet sizes.

The outside dimensions of the helmet are quite big. I can't tell if it's an optical illusion of the color (white vs my old black helmet) or visor, of it's because I'm in the smallest size of the larger shell. This shouldn't be a problem, just an observation.

Next to an XL Gmax, which is a pretty big helmet.

My visor doesn't snap shut like many helmets do, but rather slides past the gaskets when you apply pressure. Again, not a problem, an observation.

I can't tell if it seals 100% until I go for a ride. It seems to have a pretty good seal though.

I can't seem to get it to fog my breathing heavily, which is a good sign.

Not as much ear space as I'd hoped for. No way speakers are going in there. I don't know if I have giant ears, or if this particular size has less room than others. In the ear space it goes outer shell>foam>flat plastic covering. I'm guessing this helps keep the noise down and the structural integrity up. Some of my other helmets have no had foam and such over the ear "hole" area, leaving more room for speakers.

AFX ear space:

gmax ear space

No man on earth has a chin big enough to require the full length of the strap. Initial adjustment shows that I will probably cut it just about in half.

Stock visor seems pretty distortion free, and I am very picky about this. I'll have to get it out in the sun to make sure, but I'd give it a thumbs up.

Interior quality seems very good.

Can't wait for a tinted visor and ride. I'm excited about this helmet, and think it will perform well.