Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #226
dirtdadx
Noob ad Infinitum

Oddometer: 480
I just confirmed with an on line retailer that the Fly Racing version of this helmet (Trekker DS) uses a "regular" D ring retention strap. I need to get my hands on an AFX to see if there is some kind of hole in the straps to stick a helmet lock through.
dirtdadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #227
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,957
I will have the Flys tomorrow. I plan on comparing and posting up here.

Particularly interested in the fit.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #228
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,911
Got mine two weeks ago, I love it. The only negative observation I have is that air gets under the front by your chin. Not an issue in the summer, in the winter I wear a balaclava anyway. Great helmet.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #229
Eggman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
got mine today. ordered it from atomic moto, and I have a super fat head. I always, I mean always have to have at least a xxl helmet. the guys at atomic moto called me up and talked me into ordering a xl, and it fits perfect!

cant say enough about how these guys went the extra mile to make sure the helmet I ordered came right the first time.

Thanks guys!

about the fly helmet, from looking at pictures online of this lid it looks exactally like the AFX helmet....

anyone else notice this?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #230
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Hiviz yellow

FINALLY after months of waiting, the hi-viz yellows have arrived to the distributors warehouse and will be shipping to us today or Monday. We should have them in 3 business days.

Thanks to those that have patiently waited an absurdly long time.

For anyone interested, availability is LIMITED, and it is advised to jump on them ASAP.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #231
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,875
I am looking for the mirrored visor for the 39, does anyone stock them?
thanks.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #232
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Bbasso, neither Fly nor AFX had them as of Friday, but they should be arriving any day now. I presume they will be interchangeable.

Fly says they will have colored mirror versions, FWIW.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 06-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #233
twolane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
I am looking for the mirrored visor for the 39, does anyone stock them?
thanks.
When I picked up a 39 at Motostrano in the bay area they told me the mirrored and tinted shields were due in about June 22nd.. hope that helps!
twolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #234
Bagataway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I ordered my XXL Urban Camo from Atomic and can't say enough good things about Brian and his customer service. I pm'd him a question and he called me at home within an hour. I'm right between the XL and XXL and after trying on a AFX MX helmet in XXL at a local shop and ordered an XXL FX-39. I probably should have gone with the XL; it fits fine now, but will be a little loose when the padding starts to pack out. I've got a few fit-kits from ski helmets which I'll use when the time comes...

Overall, I think it's a great helmet for the money. I've got about 400 miles (on and off-road) on it so far with no complaints.

For those of you looking for a way to lock it up with the quick release, check this out:

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/helmet-lock-extension

I bought one on Friday and it works like a charm.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #235
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,875
good info guys, thanks
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #236
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Thumb

After a few months now I'm still happy with mine. I've been on two trips with it and I like it even on the road only runs. I still wish the shield would stay put, mine won't stay cracked open. Its open or closed...

Liner is still soft etc.. I'll be heading to the mountains tomorrow for a 90% pavement ride with some gravel mixed in, the AFX will be going as well. It's much better in this hot weather than my street only lids. The visor is great and works well. It cuts through the wind pretty good for being such a large bulky helmet. The best part is the fit, my long oval head is right at home.

sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #237
Tirespin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Got mine today, white Large. Thanks for the quick shipping. My experience mirrors most others here.

Previous helmet, HJC CL-14. Not the quietest helmet made, I picked it for the good fit on me and the large eyeport that gave me wide periferal vision (previous to that, I had a Shoei RF-700 which really constricted side view).

The 39 has even better periferal vision, and the sheild is crystal clear and distortion free. My test ride tonight, in 55(F) temps, my sheild stayed mostly clear. It's very well ventilated compared to the HJC, it will be too cold in the winter, I may try to add a chin barrier. That said, the adjustable vents on top are tiny and not oriented into the airflow, I don't think they'll provide much cooling in warm weather. It's noisier than the CL-14, even with ear plugs. I'll try a few things to reduce noise and report back. Strap is quite long but an easy fix. The quick latch/release is really nice. Fit is good. The cheekpads are a bit thick for me (most helmets are on me), but I kept them compressed for the afternoon before my ride, and that helped a lot, I think they'll be just right. I didn't notice any lift, nor any side drag when checking over my shoulder.

All I'd change if I could is to make it quieter. Otherwise a great helmet for me.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #238
GlockPointer
NachosRiflesAlchohol

Oddometer: 378
I just ordered the Fly hi-viz tonite from Atomic and then I caught this thread. I feel better already about an online helmet purchase. Are the Hi-viz popular? It may be a touch too much but you can't beat the visibility.
GlockPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #239
robotsthrowingrocks
pray for snow

Oddometer: 105
Well, that didn't take long. Dropped my helmet in the garage I think it's scientifically proven that the more new or expensive a helmet is, the more likely it is to fall off what seems like a secure place.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #240
Rattletrap
When in doubt-Gas it

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Got mine two weeks ago, I love it. The only negative observation I have is that air gets under the front by your chin. Not an issue in the summer, in the winter I wear a balaclava anyway. Great helmet.

Its also a great bug collector. Anything that hits your chest winds up in the helmet, bees, moths, grasshoppers. I'm really liking the quick release chin strap. I still like the helmet because of wearing prescription glasses, no goggles.
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote