Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #31
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Andi!

Haha, you really did it!

I almost missed the report. Doing the Tauerntreffen alone is hard core enough, riding there from Ankara on an old smoker is beyond stupid. I was freezing just when you told me about the plan a few months back.

Can't wait for the rest!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #32
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
A gutsy ride with just heated grips. I lived in Germany for two years and understand the miserable winter weather. You guys are tough!
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #33
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,460
Cool trip!

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #34
asphaltmueller OP
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,006
from Zagreb to the Meeting

We left Zagreb in some sort of anticipation - today we would or should arrive in my parents house, tomorrow we
would be at the Tauern meeting.

Riding went smoothly, not even the treaded Slovenian Borderguards - the Schengen Border - gave any problem.

We had decided to take the highway again and make miles, instead of veering of south of Graz and take the scenic mountain route - which would have lead us to arriving well into the night again.
We were both not feeling very well in the tunnels, the Blabutsch-Tunnel in Graz beeing 12 kms long, the Bosruck-Tunnel 11 kms. Some mechanical failure in there could swiftly lead to a catastrophe, like being overrun by a truck.

At the exit of the Kleinalm-Tunnel

Özge was afraid for his clutch, me for the gearbox.

A bad surprise was the moment entering the Bosruck-Tunnel near my parents home village :
suddenly I saw exactly nothing.
The tunnel is warm and moist, and so my glasses fogged up immidiately. Ad that the self-colouring glasses were at theyr darkest and would need time to get clearer, I was blind.
I felt that I might die, running frontaly into a truck. And grabbed the brakes, yanking off my glasses with the left.
What to do with the glasses, where to put, and f....k, speed 35, we might get overrun if the truck driver behind Özge is more asleep than aware.
Two years ago a friend of mine had been rear ended in the same situation, luckily only with bike damage.
I opened the throttle and had the idea to stuff the glasses in the handlebar-sleeve, where they would not drop if I payed attention.
Outside the tunnel the banquets were not cleared of snow and I had to ride a few kilometers without glasses, until I found a place safe to stop.
Wasn't in to good a mood.
We hurried to finish the last 30 kms to my parents house, passing through a row of shorter tunnels.

Özge fiddling with his clutch cable

When we left the highway, Özge had a complete electrical failure on his bike, in a long bend.
Just there I had to veere off the federal road on to the state road, and in my mirrors - it was already dark - thought seeing that he was still behind me, being tromped by some other vehicles lights.
After a short ride I arrived at the crossing to our village and waited for Özge to show up. When he didn't arrive, I went back to the crossing with the federal road but wouldn't find him - he was 500 mts into the federal road, trying with WD 40 to get the Jawa going again - which in the end he did.
In the meantime I was trying to call him on the mobile and thought, that he would have overshot the crossing to my village due to too many cars on the road - there had been a few trailing me at this point, not beeing able to overtake - but didn't dare to ride out and search for him, as he could be anywhere.
But then the Navi worked, he had found the crossing and I went out of the parking lot to stop him. We bought some beer and went to my parents house.

Dads Garage - Mom forced him to build a house, too

Mom and Dad were happy to see me after some month again, my old room was cosily warm, and there was a nice piece of pork in the oven. Perfect.
Also awaiting me was a 15 and a 17 tooth sprocket, which Motorang, the AiA -President had mailed me on my request.
We started immidiately to work on the bikes. I wanted to put the 15 tooth sprocket in front, having even brought
an already shortenend chain for that.I also wanted to mount the second wheel I had brought, with the new german winter tyre. The turkish winter tyre on the cast wheel was basically done - as expected after nealy 2.500 km on largely asphalt - surprise, the drum brakes on cast and spoke wheel are not the same. F.....
So we basically left the disasembled bike and had dinner, a shower and then went to my brother Josie's place 300 ms in the village center.
We surfed a bit in the net, skyped with our families, gossiped over a few beers and Josy gave Özge a kidney belt and a slightly torn professional crane-driver jacket. Josy was driving a truck with a crane, delivering
construction material for the farmers cooperative, but now he became assistant to the chief dispatcher.
Josy, from my "Baltic May" report Papa and his Horex, late 50s

Anyway, we slept well this night.
In the morning I dug into the bike with the assistance of my father, lifelong mechanic, former Horex-Rider and collector of ancient tractors.

We had to go to the local mechanic, to mount the Heidenau-Silica tyre on the cast wheel - to hard, no change with normal means. Luckily we didn't have a flat on the further ride.
Then we had the sprocket mounted, and, well, it didn't work. The new chain didn't run well over the rear sprocket, it even blocked. It was immidiately clear, that the rear sprocket, encased in the chain cover of the MZ and difficult to acces, was faulty.
I hadn't controlled it in Ankara. Pure Laziness. We took it out and ---- see yourself.

I had put a 19 instead of the original solo 22 sprocket in Ankara, but left the old chain, just shortened it. Bad Mistake. And I had left the spare rear sprocket from the parts bike at home - it was an incasted one, with the half wheel hub; I had considered it to big.
I called a shift working friend of mine, he was home, and went there to post a cry for help on the AiA - Forum - maybe some MZ - Rider not yet on the way to the meeting would read it and bring a spare. Or any other help.
After having placed my posting I drank a coffee with Reinhart and his wife and than checked the answers.
Not to encouraging - Koarl would bring a Jawa part, maybe it could be worked on, Uwe a Puch sprocket, maybe HiHa could be reached, I could look for a XT 350 Sprocket, we would see.
One maybe has to explain, that here we are talking about folks (not us - I mean the hardcore AiA-guys) who had fitted a Dnepr drive train on an Ural in a severe snowstorm or would overhaul a Suzuki gearbox in a snowfield.

Now back at home Dad had grinded the shark tooth down to something resembling a sprocket and had fitted the drivetrain together. She would run - for sometime.

Özge in the meantime had done some work to protect his ignition coils from spray water and had built some wind protectors for his feet out of an old oil canister.

For us it was now a timing question.
The road up to the meeting would be closed from 4 pm to 6 pm for the sledge riders - we wouldn't make it till 4 now - and I had no snow chains, because the turkish chain I had brought for the rear would not fit - not enough place on the right side of the wheel, the snow chain would shred the chain cover. Front chain was OK.
Should we postpone for tomorrow, the official beginning of the meeting anyway ?
I decided to call the President. Surprise, he was drinking the famous coffee of Hubert Staudacher, the legendary chain maker; an MZ chain would quickly be made and being left for me at the toll house. - Anyway - we should come, "tow and rescue" would stand by anyway.

Village of Molln

So we set of, this time taking the glasses of before riding in the tunnel, and being overtaken by the first participants we would see.
At the supermarket in Trieben we would meet a french couple with a ZEUS, buying beer and wood pellets for heating, like us. We also bought quite a lot of other foodstuff - Özge and me are not into starving.
Then we set out for Hohentauern, the night already having fallen.

I had hoped to get much further today, including the meeting itself, but my family kept me busy.

Thanks to everybody who comments here, and hi, Flood - happy to hear from you
asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #35
beys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thank you for the story mate.
As you told me about your rear sprocket on the TTsite, i didn't think it was this bad...

Grysse Bernhard
beys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #36
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Sometimes one comes across a ride report that stirs faintly the embers of envy, a desire to be out on the road with the author. Not this one. I thank all the gods I have a job, a wife, ties to the community and obligations that do not permit me to undertake under any circumstances a journey like this one. I am cold just reading it. Amazing stuff. Great pictures. A reminder that anything is possible.
very well put
i fully agree
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #37
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
what an awesome ride report
i appreciate all the stories behind the pictures

thanks for sharing
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #38
moderen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thank You Josy,
kidney belt and crane-driver jacket saved my life
how silly i am. i forgat my own kidney belt at home

And Andi,
didnt we take a pics of your Mom's delicious foods?
what a shame. we should.

moderen screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 10:05 AM
moderen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #39
asphaltmueller OP
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

no, unfortunately no pics from the Schweinsbrotn mit Semmelködl (roasted porc with bread dumblings).

I think it's a sort of mindset that has to develop, that you take photos with a backthougt of documentation.
Otherwise who would make a photo of Mamas Food on the table ?

I remark that now, writing the report even if at the time I tried to think of the report, a lot of things I would have wanted to document have not been photographed - even if it would have been no problem at all to make a photo - like for example Johann in Zagreb - I could have i.E. made a photo of us after dinner, no problem at all.

I also regret that I didn't trust my camera mount - I thought it would vibrate, while it works perfectly - so I didn't make a Video untill last day.

and - some things develop with time. At the end, I rode with a bike winter glove on the right hand, because it assisted my hand on the throttle, and a thin jogger glove on the left, because with heated grips and the handle bar sleeve it was enough and more comfortable - and it enabled me to make photos whilst riding much, much better than with the winter glove

BTW - Josy sent me some photos now Mom has made with her old 35mm

Dad and me
in the sidecar : kitchencase in the rear, opened not even once on the whole trip (Coleman and Espresso maker were in a "ready-bag"), Equipment Box in Front, field-bed to the left). On Top of that some more stuff - explained later)

leaving home base in a cloud of smoke

asphaltmueller screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 12:31 PM
Old 02-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #40
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,565
if you had just turned that sprocket over, it would have been ok for another 2500km.

I've been thru that 12km tunnel, its scary in the summer. I cant imagine it with glasses fogged up!

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #41
asphaltmueller OP
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

you cant really turn it around; it's a sort of stamped piece (technical english missing out completly), the middle is some mm deeper than the tooth and the inner ring fits into some cavities in the Hub for extra stability or something like that ("Mitnehmer" in German).

Dad says a normal sprocket would likely not stay in place long, the screws are not strong enough to hold it and would loosen.

He was travelling the European Motocross Championship as mechanic for an amateur rider friend in the 70s and knows a few things about older bikes.

He also sabotaged me effectively for getting my bike license when I took the tests; delayed me riding untill India.

asphaltmueller screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 09:33 PM
Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #42
aegeanrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Amazing , keep going good luck
aegeanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #43
asphaltmueller OP
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

we made it - The Tauernmeeting

So it was the Tauern-Meeting we had set out to participate. What kind of meeting is this ?

I call this Photo "Spirit of TT"; made by Richard NL in 2009, Achim and Thoeny on "Mrs Lehmann"

The Tauern are a mountain chain of the Austrian Alps; the meeting is at the eastern edge of the Alps. After the Norvegian "Kristall Rally" it's maybe the 2nd toughest winter meeting in Europe.

Here from the webside of the organisator :

Quality
For taking part, you technically have to do the following:
In January, drive to the middle of the Austrian province Styria.
Then handle a mountain pass with a 16% maximum uphill grade, plus the following private toll road up to 1725 m
above sea level - this is another 5 km mountain road, being a popular sledging track for local people. In our
experience, snow chains or a powered side car will help. Some people did it with good winter tires only - but they
definitely knew how to drive :)

Justus on his 1942 Harley; Photo by Richard NL (?), 2009

Philosophy
It is all about winter driving, talking motorbike stuff, and enjoying the great landscape around. There is no extra
entertainment, music, fireworks or such. But there will be nice round trips on Friday and Saturday.
All participants are required to behave as guests (we are, really) in a civilized way.

Our Hosts
The inkeeper and his wife are nice people and great hosts. They like having us there, as a change to avalanche
training courses, snowshoeing people and ski tourists. We can even use their private tools and workshop, if
necessary! The rooms are cosy, the catering excellent (including the beer). There are some rooms available, plus
about 70 dorm places.
The Spot
Our meeting place is right in the Austrian Central Alps region, close to the tree line. There is a fair chance of
having snowy conditions - some years ago there was a ski lift there, but it was destroyed by avalanches two times,
and the never rebuilt …
Camping
It is possible to camp a few minutes from the inn, if you do choose not to sleep indoors.
Round Trips
There are trips on Friday and Saturday. Details are provided in your invitation.

Liability
This is a private meeting, and we assume no liability for whatsoever. Participation is at one's own risk. No drunk
driving
More
The Organization Team wants to have fun too. So we will take part in our own meeting, and try to reduce additional
duties as much as possible.
Curious?
On top of the page, earlier Tauerntreffen rallyes are linked by their year.
Invitation

The inn has only limited space. This is true for rooms, for meals, for our day trips etc. So we have to pick our
participants wisely.

My first contact with AiA was in 2007, when I googled for help on the net, needing urgently a petrol cock for my Royal Enfield, the technical inspection for the import in the frame of my relocation from India to Austria just days away.
Some guy mailed me to ask for more specifics, and next Day "Bulletwallah" Albert, one of the niecest guys I met on this earth up to now just came into my office with the piece, not even asking for a cent.

Albert, in Germany, October 2010

I liked the philosophy and later took part in the autumn ride, even if it was on my Dominator and not an "eligible" piece of scrap; but AiA ain't dogmatic, they take it as it comes. A loose grouping of incredibly nice people, bound by theyr love for mechanics and old or curious motorcycles, which should actually be ridden, not gaining dust as collectors pieces.

In autumn 2008 we sat in a "Wirtshaus" at our moreless monthly meeting of the Vienna members, discussing the upcoming Tauernmeeting, and I regreted that I couldn't participate; bike not equipped and no money left to do so, and as a Winter Newbi with a solo anyway...
Than Robert had the idea that I could be a sidecar passenger and some potential riders were named. I teamed up with Klaus and it was a super experience.

"Ragman" Klaus in 2009

So around the meeting in January 2010 I must have shown Özge the pictures and reports, and the idea for this ride was born.

And now we were in the parking in the Village of Hohentauern, mounting the chains.
I couldn't get our lift (?) free, no chance, the bottom screw was turning and no tool would slip on it. A couple in a Yamaha 4 cyl. borrowed us theyrs - it was vital for Özges rear chain.

As both of our bikes still had center-stands, we used those for mounting the front chains. Özge using the turkish method with rubber stripes and cable binders, me the austrian method with tying cable.

We went the first kilometers to the toll house, which was deserted, but the barrier open; there I found the Staudacher chain for my rear wheel left for me by the president.
It was to long on purpose, which is normaly good. It wasn't that good at night in the snow, as I had an iron saw blade, but wasn't able to cut the hardened parts of the chain with it.

But I was able to cut the connection parts, so the overall length was fine, fitted it with turkish rubber bands, and tied the superfluos hardened middle parts also with rubber bands to the side. Effects to be seen a little
later.
We started climbing the toll-road, both inexperienced in such snowy conditions. I let the MZ climb slowly in first, the 15 sprocket doing it's job nicely. at some steeper parts I ranout of steam and had to use the clutch - in the beginning with near disastrous results when I applied to much and the hack jumped wildly to the left, followed by a hard right turn after throttle was shut, then again clutch to be applied....
But I got the hang of it and mounted calmly, the front end swimming a bit, as it turned out, that the turkish chains are good on the rear for traction, but suboptimal on the front for direction.

On the toll road during the day, my photo from 2009

I also saw Özges headlight in the mirrors, him sometimes coming quite near. It was a strange atmhosphere in this moonlit night, awaiting trouble which wouldn't come, the MZ calmly puttering along in first, the mirror telling me my mate was still rolling, too, and the incredible came nearer and nearer - we might make it , would make it, and then had made it.

We rolled onto the deserted parking at something like 20:30, just some tents beeing already put up, only in the far corner signs of activity.

Seemingly everybody was up in the "Hüttn", the cabin or shelter, which in effect is a sort of Hotel nowadays, but the Name of this institution dates from days when roads were few and cars unknown and the mountaineers would come by train and spent days in areas then away from civilisation. But some of this tradition is left, including mass dorms, where some of the participants would stay.

strange enough we didn't make more photos on the Hüttn

We unloaded the tent and other stuff and then decided to go up to the Hüttn with the bikes, in some years not an easy adventure, but that day just rode up, for some lunch, warmth and beer.
We met friends, were offered the first "Zielschluck" by Justus (Arrival sip ? - english doesn't convey the mytical meaning) and yes, live was good.
We were greated quite enthusiasticly by the president, Richard NL and Jules, Uwe, whose "KNEPTA" didn't have to do rescue work this night, and other friends I hadn't seen in a while.

We had to get back and somehow build up the tent - honestly, I don't know exactly how we did it, I think we put the
lines on the tentnails of our neighbours and just did the very necesarry things, like putting up the field beds.

The tent itself is a turkish construction site tent, made of PVC or so, customs made for us. It's very easy to build up and will stand with just a few lines.

We had a gas heater, also construction site type, a bit dangerous maybe, but would not let it burn unsupervised. As a heater we had actually brought a wood or rather charcoal fired Samowar, this was to be tested next day.
Özge had some problems of adjusting, having never camped in such circumstances, but for me it was the second meeting and I had made the winter alpine training in the army - I was fine and fell asleep soon. It's problematic if you have to get up to pee, otherwise with a fine sleeping bag and maybe a liner and/or a blanket, it's quite OK,
- at least for me.

I have to leave on family business, maybe I can write some more today.

Thanks for all your comments

andreas
Old 02-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #44
asilindean
Adrian

Oddometer: 132
Epic ride! thanks for sharing
asilindean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #45
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,565
I REALLY hate that I couldnt make it this year, but I will.... one of these days!

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote