User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #46
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,012
Beans

Following are some of the reasons why beans are a key ingredient in a healthy diet of all ages:
  • High in complex carbohydrates
  • High in protein
  • High in dietary fiber
  • High in folate
  • Low in fat
  • Low in sodium
  • Cholesterol-free
  • Rich in vitamins and minerals
You pay a penalty in weight but, they are always ready to eat. Drain the fluids if you want to avoid excess sodium.

And there are so many types of beans to choose from.

This message is brought to you by the "Bean Council" AKA Braapf (Beans Really Are A Perfect Food)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #47
09Prodigy
Instigator

Oddometer: 733
I always have a bottle of either Franks Red Hot or Tabasco on a ride. It can make a really bad meal at least semi palatable.

One of my favs..

Pre-trip preparations or at camp preparations

Slice & Dice:
3 large red potato's w/ skins still on
1 large yellow onion
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 diced Anaheim pepper

(you can be a lazy ass and buy the frozen O'Brien potato crap is you want)

optional: Add pre-cooked turkey bacon or bacon bits, I add sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms at times as well.

Put it all in a large bowl and mix well with either real butter or vegetable oil, season with Mrs. Dash or lemon pepper.

Split into 2-3 ziploc bags and freeze, Now you have enough for dinner, breakfast and dinner again. (tip: freeze a few bottles of water or lemonade and keep it all together so it stays cool)

Cook it up!
When you get to camp you can add a packet of diced ham, packet of pre cooked chicken , spam, or bacon and fry it all up.
Carry a few tortillas, eggs and cheese for a kick ass breakfast burrito
I prefer to catch a few brook trout and roast them on an alder stick over an open flame.

Breakfast (see above) oatmeal packets, granola bars etc Bagel & Cream Cheese. Tea (not a big coffee guy)

Lunch/Snacks: Raisins, Trail Mix, Jerky, Fruit, Protein bars, Protein Water mix packets, Quench (similar to Gatorade) Packets. Peanut Butter & Honey, Tortillas,
I also carry a dozen or so of these
http://www.kettlevalley.net/naturalchoice.htm

Dinner (see above) I also like to cook up some "taco meat" (hamburger & old el-paso taco seasoning) to take with me, tortillas, cheese. Tuna packets, Vienna Sausage and Crackers, Beanie Weenies, Raman Noodles, Flask full of Makers Mark!

Being a KLR rider I always have a supply of "free" single serve condiments such as mayo, ketchup, mustard, salsa, taco sauce, soy sauce etc..
Old 04-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #48
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
He didn't say avoid starch he said white carbs. He's right whole grains are healthy, processed white stuff isn't.
speaking of grains & fruits.
when camping i like to bring a box of instant organic oatmeal from the health food store. 1 pack per night camping.

arrowhead mills brand http://www.amazon.com/Arrowhead-Mill...utrition-facts is not loaded with sugar, which is good. i also bring an apple per night and cut some of that up for the oatmeal plus some for latter. apples travel great. i also bring a small packet of raisens. when warm in oatmeal they provide the perfect sweetness. also a small container of cinamon for flavor.

oatmeal is a great long period energy supplier and coupled with the apple plenty of fiber to keep ya happy. that morning bowl provides energy for a full day of riding (w/ mid-afternoon cliff bar and the rest of the apple) till i'm hungry again for diner. a big heavy lunch is the absolute worst for focused riding.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #49
tlong2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
I like these. $1.00-$1.25 at Kroger. No refrigeration and very light. Filling. Just add water. I survived on these across the TAT last summer. The penny tech stove fits inside the pot along with utensils and the fuel was in a MSR bottle. Denatured alcohol found at hardware stores or big box stores. Made coffee and oatmeal in the mornings. Tried to have one good restaurant meal a day but it didn't always happen. Picked up a couple bananas and energy bars or nuts to snack on at gas stops.

John
Take these and add some of the dry tuna that comes in the plastic packages because it is real lightweight and takes up little space. We eat these on hiking and bicycle touring trips for just about every meal. It adds a lot of protein to an otherwise light meal. Any flavor of these rice or pasta meals takes well to the flavor of the tuna. Also couscous is very health and gives lots of energy, really easy to cook on one of these single burner stoves and only takes minutes. A bag or two of this on a stove can fill a hungry man rather well, keeps the waist trim, and you don't feel so gross the next morning when you crawl out of the tent.
tlong2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #50
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Prodigy View Post
Split into 2-3 ziploc bags and freeze, Now you have enough for dinner, breakfast and dinner again.
This sounds like a great plan for home. I'm not groking where most of us are supposed to find freezers (or even ice chests) on the road while we're camping.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #51
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
You're right, but that is a great way to handle the start of a trip. Frozen food replaces ice for the first day or two of the trip.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #52
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
I am lovin' this thread.

For me, there are 2 rules: (1) every crumb of grains needs to be whole wheat, and (2) eating simply makes me tired, so if I ever have a large (or even moderate sized) meal it must be the last productive thing I do in the day.

Also... I may deny it, but my wife (of 9 months) will tell you I'm a health nut and I'm cheap. Actually, I admit it. :)

So like I said... this thread is great. Thanks everyone for the input.
jesse v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #53
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post
You're right, but that is a great way to handle the start of a trip. Frozen food replaces ice for the first day or two of the trip.
Without an ice chest, that frozen food might be Okay to eat the first night on the road. Beyond this, I wouldn't touch it.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #54
09Prodigy
Instigator

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Without an ice chest, that frozen food might be Okay to eat the first night on the road. Beyond this, I wouldn't touch it.

- Mark
I did preface "pretrip preparations"

I understand what you are saying and agree to a point, it depends on the climate you are riding in. This is why I suggested freezing a bottle of water or lemonade as well and keeping them together. A frozen bottle kept out of the sun will last a few days before it melts. When packing I usually wrap it up in my sleeping bag for added insulation from the ambient temperature.
I use this as a weekend kind of trip when I leave Friday after work and come back on Sunday. I have dinner on Friday night, breakfast Saturday morning and dinner Saturday evening with a cold . By Sunday I will need fuel and eat b-fast somewhere along the way or suffer through a brookie or two

May not work for a mid July Death Valley trip however I have used this for years here in the Rockies and in Alaska and it works for me. If your really concerned then take the uncut foods and prepare at camp. I like the ease of packing a few flat bags is all.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #55
Road Hound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I found an interesting item at Trader Joe's, it's available in two flavors, Yellowfin Tuna in Green Curry Sauce or Yellowfin Tuna in Red Panang Curry Sauce. It's pckaged in a foil pack which you just heat in boiling water it comes in a box which can be discarded for easy packing. It's amazing good over rice or my favorite Asian Buckweat noodles. Easy to prepare, very tasty,
provides you with 26 grams of protein and the best part $1.49 per package.
I carry a few packages for when I find a good campsite and there is no stores around, requires no refrigeration.
Road Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #56
existent80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Hound View Post
I found an interesting item at Trader Joe's
Trader Joe's FTW! Their specialty is prepared foods and easy meals: they've got a ton of foil packed Indian and rice dishes that are great for moto traveling. I did the Trans-Lab and every night made camp with a boil-in-bag rice and protein for dinner. If you stop and find a broccoli top or a sack of frozen veggies it's a stunning meal. TJ's takes it easy on the preservatives, too, which is great.

I'm also a big fan of the "Just Veggies/Just Fruit" dehydrated brand.

Throw these bad boys into a pilaf or instant soup/ramen and you've got access to decent nutrition! Get the fruits and it's a great addon to granola or johnnycakes.

existent80 screwed with this post 05-12-2011 at 05:58 PM
existent80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #57
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,209
Damn, I wish there was a Trader Joe's around here.

Great ideas so far. Keep 'em coming.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #58
existent80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
Damn, I wish there was a Trader Joe's around here.
I get the Just Veggies from a local health food store. But you can buy online:
http://www.justtomatoes.com/jtstore/pc/home.asp

The heat-n-serve Indian Meals, which TJ's sells as a store brand, are TastyBite, www.tastybite.com. They even sell camping packs of 20 and 30 meals, works out to be about $3.25 per pouch.
existent80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #59
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
Maybe I've been in the wrong thread. Does this qualify?
Like your style, itn.

What is that bag o' rice stuff? Not familiar with boil-in-bag rice...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #60
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post

What is that bag o' rice stuff?

Linky for the name brand. The larger chains usually offer their own brand.

They are light to carry, and really hard to screw up.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote