ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
ADVRiders Plan for the WABDR 2011

Over in the other thread about the WABDR, there was interest expressed in doing this ride as a group. Those with URALS wanted to tag along as the carriers of official beverage of choice and ice, and the rest of the group on 2 wheels wanted to just tool along and possibly help tip the URALS back on 3 wheels.

The pace of this group is intended to allow for lots of picture taking and fun. We're also looking to camp each night during the 5 or 6 days it takes us. We'll run the route from South to North. Details about the daily legs will be developed during the spring and posted here.

I'm doing the MT1000 the week of 7/17 and another rally the following few days so the dates below are the ones that I have available.

Since the SoundRider dual sport event is being held in the area of our starting point and some of us will be at that rally, let's just focus on doing our event the week of 7/31/2011.

Who's in? I'll update this first post with those who want to join us.

IN:

Timmer
StoneAgeMan
Mr. Cob
PNW ULY
WU7X
mtbdemon
roostar (for part of it)
darkshadow
brianjonesphoto (?)
StudentOfTheGame
Catamountrdr
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100

Timmer screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 10:22 PM Reason: Added riders
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
StoneAgeMan
Wanderer

Oddometer: 699
I'm in - either date
StoneAgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

The SoundRider Dual Sport Rally is 7/27-31 located right near the start. Let's have our event start on 7/31.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 02-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,163
Howdy Tim,

Count me "IN" unless some unforeseen circumstance prevents my attending.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
PNW ULY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
In ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
The SoundRider Dual Sport Rally is 7/27-31 located right near the start. Let's have our event start on 7/31.
Looks great - - Count me in!

Paul
'08 Buell Ulysses
PNW ULY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,904
Got it on the calendar!

Anyone else enjoy Laphroaig and cigars? Lesser, non-peaty single malts also invited!

Going through the Chain Gaing DVDs and getting the Dakar ready for a summer of fun!

If this is a first annual event, will there be a nOObie night?
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Everyone will be a Noob on this one. Since we're all in the same boat we don't need to do anything unless the URAL's bring it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
Anyone else enjoy Laphroaig and cigars? Lesser, non-peaty single malts also invited!

Going through the Chain Gaing DVDs and getting the Dakar ready for a summer of fun!

If this is a first annual event, will there be a nOObie night?
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 02-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
I would very much like to attend! This would be my first multiple day ride and camp off this bike but I think I have everything I need.perhaps I should camp a night or two to be sure. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks!!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
I would very much like to attend! This would be my first multiple day ride and camp off this bike but I think I have everything I need.perhaps I should camp a night or two to be sure. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks!!
You're most welcome to come with us. This is intended to be a fun ride and we can help each other. A way to warm up might be to do like I'm doing: attend the Dual Sport Northwest event in Stevenson for a few days before we start WABDR. See www.soundrider.com for details.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 02-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
PNW ULY
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
The best technique is to put a pile of "absolutely-essential-must-have-gear" on the floor of the garage, then promptly divide the pile in half. . .

Seriously though, taking a few 1-2 day trips is the best way to shake out what is really required...

Paul

PNW ULY screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 08:48 AM
Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,229
I have the 17th off, but I work the weekend of the 31st...
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
PNW ULY
Adventurer

Camping. . .

Not my intention to "double-tap" the subject, but seems this topic might be better in this thread than the other one...

I like the idea of the Timber Lake Campground for Day 0, with maybe a dinner at the Walking Man Brewery. Also interested in where Timmer is staying, not sure which one makes more sense. . .

Looked at the Youtube "teasers" and haven't done enough research yet, but hopefully we'll have the opportunty to "primitive camp" along the route - - realizing we'll need to replenish fuel, fluids, foodstuffs etc., in the larger population centers, but personally I'd rather tent camp under the stars than in a RV campground.

Lots more to discuss, but never too early to get started. . .

Paul
Old 02-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW ULY View Post
Not my intention to "double-tap" the subject, but seems this topic might be better in this thread than the other one...

I like the idea of the Timber Lake Campground for Day 0, with maybe a dinner at the Walking Man Brewery. Also interested in where Timmer is staying, not sure which one makes more sense. . .

Looked at the Youtube "teasers" and haven't done enough research yet, but hopefully we'll have the opportunty to "primitive camp" along the route - - realizing we'll need to replenish fuel, fluids, foodstuffs etc., in the larger population centers, but personally I'd rather tent camp under the stars than in a RV campground.

Lots more to discuss, but never too early to get started. . .

Paul
Howdy Paul,

As I am "notoriously CHEAP" I too prefer to "primitive camp" when possible. Stock up in town and head for the hills, that way when I howl at the moon I don't have some guy in a 300K RV yellin at me to shut up so he can hear his TV.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm planning to primitive camp once we're under way. I have no pre-conceived notion of where we'll stop each day, but I'm certain we'll find a place. Last year on the MT1000, that approach worked super well. We'll definitely have chances to re-fuel and replentish supplies on a daily basis (remember we have the URAL mules to carry stuff for us).
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 02-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
I'm planning to primitive camp once we're under way. I have no pre-conceived notion of where we'll stop each day, but I'm certain we'll find a place. Last year on the MT1000, that approach worked super well. We'll definitely have chances to re-fuel and replentish supplies on a daily basis (remember we have the URAL mules to carry stuff for us).
Howdy Tim,

This is the critter I plan on doing the ride on, not much room to carry stuff as it has been purposely cut down for better off road performance, that being the case we can load all the extra gear and beverages in and on Steve's rig, he has a full size sidecar and rack over the spare tire.