User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
asfault OP
Non-normative

Oddometer: 109
Horatio's Drive

With thoughts of riding season frozen under the fallen snow, we were driving to VT today to spend the weekend doing some snowshoeing. On the way, we listened to an audio book "Horatio's Drive," the story of the first transcontinental road trip by Horatio Jackson and Sewall Crocker in 1903.

I found the story to be compelling and I wanted to mention it here, in a ride report thread, because it is really a fine ride report. Yes, it was a trip made in a car (with no roof or windshield), but their story can be especially appreciated by the ADVrider audience... difficult trail conditions, serious mechanical failures, physical discomforts, and also natural beauty, kind folks, sense of achievement.

Seems to me, the spirit of their trip lives on inside us motorcyclists today. Not sure that's as true with other forms of transportation. To a considerable degree, the thrill of their experience can still be lived on motorcycle today. That's very cool.

If you want to listen, you might find the CD set at your public library, as we did. It can also be purchased. There is also the Ken Burns documentary film. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,102
The Ken Burns documentary is available on Netflix, and it's typical Burns quality stuff (which is to say, good). I think the story may be better enjoyed in print or audiobook form as you found though.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Extraordinary documentary. Now that I've seen it twice I guess I'll go get the book.

Quote:
Seems to me, the spirit of their trip lives on inside us motorcyclists today. Not sure that's as true with other forms of transportation. To a considerable degree, the thrill of their experience can still be lived on motorcycle today. That's very cool.
Yes, yes and yes. Many of my friends enjoyed this documentary too, but were a little uncertain why I was so fascinated with the story.

One of the best characters involved was 'Bud'.

Similarly.. for a non motorcycle, but very much in the ADVrider spirit, documentary look for this one...

One of the best adventure documentaries I've ever seen. From the NG site....

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/vimy/index.html

Quote:
This story interweaves the 1919 and the 1994 adventures of the Vickers Vimy biplane bomber with open cockpit and cotton-covered wings, as it journeys from England to Australia. The flights are separated by 75 years but united in a common spirit of daring.
I'm often less than impressed by "adventures" involving off-camera support teams in vans, rolling kitchens, camera crews, helicopter medevacs standing by.... but throughout this doc you're reminded of the 1919 flight wherein there were no safety nets whatsoever. Those guys flew England to Aus in 100percent unrestricted airspace with no boundaries whatsoever. The first human beings to witness and photgraph, from above, the Great Pyramids, the Taj Mahal, and others, as well as Cairo, Bombay, and other great cities. Had to have been almost as amazing to them as stepping on the moon.

svejkovat screwed with this post 03-12-2011 at 10:52 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote