User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #31
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,304
yet another amazing thread....

I have spend pretty much the last two years of my life getting into racing and trying to encourage others to race as a result.

As a rider I have been transformed and I think anyone that rides with me will tell you that. I also believe that I have become a better person; more patient and hard working.

There's something about racing that you cant put your finger on. There's something about it that gets in you and you cant get it out. There's something about barreling through the desert at 90 mph with a bunch of other lunatics that will do almost anything to stay in front of you..... and the feeling you get when you're in the front - the feeling of being the fastest, even for just a moment....even if its in your head or just in your class, you will NEVER forget.

Its indescribable.... and that line from Le Mans that Steve Mcqueen delivers, "Racing is life. Everything else before and after is just, waiting." I used to think it was cool - but now I really am starting to understand in a far more profound way than I would ever dream.

The feeling of sitting on the start line in the dead silence - with a freight train barreling in your chest. The rush of the wind as the gears click up and the bumps begin to put you in the air..... fighting for position in the first single track, the first hill climb.... battling on the flats...questionable passes of slower riders....

....crap im giving myself goosebumps.

Life begins when that banner drops.

this video below isnt about off road racing, its about club roadracing but it enmbodies racing so perfectly..... I have an emotional reaction every time I watch it.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #32
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

oh and I Just wanted to add one more thing.
As I start to get older, and my hair starts to fall out I realize that I dont care.
I see younger, better looking "cooler" guys in the grocery store and they catch me squinting my eyes at them because Im thinking.... "Ill bet I could smoke that guy to the end of the bomb..."

racers' sickness.
Quote:
Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #33
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,718
I freaking LOVE that video ^^^

I have been busting my ass all winter long and this Sunday is my first race back and my first race on a real bike (525 vs the 650). Its all ive been able to think about lately.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #34
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
I freaking LOVE that video ^^^

I have been busting my ass all winter long and this Sunday is my first race back and my first race on a real bike (525 vs the 650). Its all ive been able to think about lately.

have you raced the 525 yet?

my first real ride on my 525 was a revelation.... Ive never gone 60 mph, railing down single track before.

Now i get why KTM is so popular.
Quote:
Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #35
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 7,919
bump
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #36
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Shrineclown mentioned Blackwater, and it made me think of the first Wilseyville, CA. events. They called them 'The Blackwater of the West' those first few years.

I rode year one, and was maybe over my head but I was too young to realize it. I rode well in the 'B' class, but on my 4th lap I was gassed. Just nothing left. As I entered the big water crossing I hit a small rock under water and made a 5' detour left of the main line. Just as I was about to exit the water, the bike dropped out from under me and in a second we were both under water. I took me and 2 others to pull the bike up to dry(ish) ground. I turned the bike over, pulled the plug, and started pumping the water out of the top end. Once I had the bike back on its' wheels, I just had no energy left to kick the bike. I sat there with my head on the cross bar, just trying to catch my breath.

Finally a spectator pushed me off my bike, told me to get my gear back on while he got the bike running because as he said "You haven't finished this journey yet. It doesn't end out here in the woods. Put your helmet on and finish this thing."

So I did. As I was getting ready to ride away, I tried to ask him who he was because he had seemed so familiar. He told me not to worry about it, I just needed to ride. As I clicked the bike into gear, he turned his back to walk away and I saw that he was wearing a jersey that said 'Carr' on the back.

As I rode away I realized that a then 3 or 4 time GNC champ had spent the last 5 minutes kicking my bike back to life. Just for the love of the sport. Just to see me continue my journey.

I rode the rest of the lap, and finished it 5 minutes before the time limit of the event. It was ride a lap 5, or quit. With the inspiration and renewed energy provided by Chris, I had to ride the lap. As I crossed the big river crossing again (using the right line!) I saw him again and was invigorated. I rode with all I had that lap, with a sense of pride, with a goal of finishing the journey. It ended about 5 miles later when I ran out of fuel (which I apparently lost while the bike was upside down!), but for that lap I was a champion in my own world and no one could take that away from me.

I didn't win a trophy, but I won the sensation of accomplishing what so many would never have dared try. I never rode Wilseyville again, but I'll always have the memory. Chris Carr kicked my bike and got me back in the race. For the love of the sport.

Brent

That's a great story! I'll be racing with Chris Carr next weekend at a 3hr endurance ice race, I'll ask him if he remembers it
Old 01-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #37
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
That's a great story! I'll be racing with Chris Carr next weekend at a 3hr endurance ice race, I'll ask him if he remembers it
Yep, true story and I'd be amazed and thrilled if he remembered it! Isn't he a California kid? I'm thinking Salinas, but I'm not sure why... if so how did he get into endurance ice racing?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #38
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
how did he get into endurance ice racing?

By entering A dirt tracker buddy of mine asked me if I wanted to go and race....... sure, why not I've been play riding on the ice for a few years with some friends and we mix it up pretty good....

2012 is the year I do as many different types of racing as I can possibly do. Endurance ice race this weekend, then Feb 4th I'm doing the Sandblast rally on my SE and then an Enduro in March and a Harescramble soon after that and with luck, a bigger rally event or a desert race. It's fun even though I'm slow, the adrenaline rush is worth it!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #39
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
One skill of an advanced racer is knowing how to play mind games. A sign of a real professional is when he can play mind games against his competition and they don't even know it. Ned, you've done a great job of convincing everyone you're not a racer, while quietly advancing your riding skills to a very high level. The moment one makes any effort at all to get ahead of someone, they become a racer. Ned, you are a racer of the highest order!
That was quite a prophetic post!
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote