ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
KenR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
So tell me about Medford

Looks like a relocation could be in the cards. What's the best thing about Medford? What's the worst? And most importantly, ya got any gnarly single track nearby?

KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,765
Hey Ken! I have been traveling there (Portland, Eugene, Corvallis, Seattle areas) for this last year. Have been there about 15 times now, I have never seen the mountains except for from the plane and I have only seen 1/2 of a day that was sunny. Damp, cold, busy roads......beautiful area, lots to explore I imagine, but I could never leave my mountains and dry air for that weather 24x7 for 365 days.

Your work relo or the Mrs? Still miss the EXC450, maybe have another one someday. That was an awesome bike. You still riding KTMs?

Old 05-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 4,206
Hi Ken, I started a thread last summer about that part of the state, maybe it will offer some insight.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1008037

We chose Prineville/Redmond. Moving out there next month.

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,627
The guys above need to look at a map, Medford is NOT in the Willamette Valley. It's a totally different climate, and economy in the Rogue Valley where Medford is. It is a whole climate level warmer down there. Much more, "Mediterranean".

Best thing: Once you get out of the valley, some of the most beautiful parts of the country are very close. They are blessed with their geography.

Worse thing: "Methford". The economy has seen some tuff times in the past few decades. Last time I was there it was looking up though. Unfortunately I think that a lot of that is due to an injection of Californians.

Plenty of good riding, including Single Track.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,679
The worst thing about Medford is the winter temperature inversion (look it up). White City, Jacksonville, Gold hill all beautifully sunny and Medford itself Frozen Fog. That said look just outside of Medford itself. That is a great area with awesome riding. The summers there are plenty hot for my tastes, but I whine at anything over about 78 degrees.

The Ski Hill is a bit backwards but can be a good time during a "normal" year.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,445
My sister and mother live in the area. I visit once or twice a year. I considered moving there but I think the main trail side vegetation is poison oak and I'm deathly allergic. scratch scratch scratch
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
KenR OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's interesting that you can get out of the inversion and still be pretty close to Medford.

My wife was in Jacksonville and Grants Pass last week and really liked it. We're headed to the area next week to spend a little time and scope things out. She accepted the job so I guess we're going either way.

I hear property taxes vary widely depending on what town you live in. Gotta figure that part out.

Thanks all!

Old 05-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #8
KenR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
Hey Ken! I have been traveling there (Portland, Eugene, Corvallis, Seattle areas) for this last year. Have been there about 15 times now, I have never seen the mountains except for from the plane and I have only seen 1/2 of a day that was sunny. Damp, cold, busy roads......beautiful area, lots to explore I imagine, but I could never leave my mountains and dry air for that weather 24x7 for 365 days.

Your work relo or the Mrs? Still miss the EXC450, maybe have another one someday. That was an awesome bike. You still riding KTMs?
Hey man! I understand that Medford is in a rain shadow and doesn't get the moisture the rest of the state is known for. Still on KTM's - currently on a 300XC that I love but also have an XR650R set up for Baja trips.

Just read a thread about plating dirt bikes in Oregon - guess that 650 will go back to desert dirt duty only or get sold. :-(

Old 05-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 4,023
Medford is the largest city in Jackson County (Rogue Valley), but there are a number of other cities that are close enough to commute into Medford for work. Medford tends to have the professional jobs and most people will commute into Medford for them.

We are drier than Portlandia, warmer and probably colder. It's not uncommon to have a week at 18-degrees in the winter (very dry and cold) and over 100-degrees in the summer, but it usually doesn't last long and for the most part seems to be a pretty even climate year-round; still with a true four seasons.

The economy is picking up, so is real estate, the job market, etc. The Rogue Valley offers city living or country living, wineries, farmers markets, theaters (plays and shows, not just movies) all within the region. You can live in an apartment above a bar or you can live far enough from town to shoot deer or piss off the front porch, but still be close enough to town to have a nice dinner or see a show 20 minutes from the house.

Property taxes do vary here, but mostly because every city and county is different (property taxes are (sort of) permanent and fixed for each city), and there are multiple districts one may live in (i.e., fire districts in cities without their own fire department, school districts, etc. that add to the total amount paid on the property tax bill). Property taxes are different in Oregon than some other places, but they don't typically vary so much as to make one city unlivable compared to another.

Politically, Medford (Jackson County, Rogue Valley, Southern Oregon) tends to be much more conservative than the northern part of the state, both in voting trends and mindset. On any given day you might see folks open carrying firearms (Medford) and on another day see a couple of half naked people in a parade (Ashland). Although there are areas of the region that are very liberal and artistic (Ashland) and those that are very conservative (smaller cities, Shady Cove, Rogue River). There isn't a lot of racial diversity, not a lot of a gay/lesbian crowd either (but enough so as not to seem out of place).

As far as recreation, there is a lot of outdoor recreational opportunities. The Rogue River flows through the area, so if you like salmon/steel head, this is the place to be. If you like rafting, camping, hiking, mtn biking, or powersports (motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiling) this is a great place to be.

Yes, there is single track.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #10
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 2,292
I know a state cop who describes Josephine and Jackson County as the wild west- they tend to just transit the whole place, if they respond to a call it's guaranteed to be one after another after another etc...

Research the Jefferson State secessionist movement there for a taste of the local mindset.

choose your neighborhood wisely though and I bet you're fine.

$0.02 worth.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #11
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 4,023
State of Jefferson XX

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #12
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
State of Jefferson XX
That's the one, my dyslexia. ..
Old 05-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #13
KenR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Great info - thank you.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:51 PM   #14
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,596
You can own machine guns.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #15
froger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
In the past, Deadford probably considered themselves more northern Cal than southern Oregon.

Stay outa that fog belt, it's colder than hell in the winter.
froger is offline   Reply With Quote