ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #1561
rockyroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by zito View Post
the concrete barricade on the zigzag side is gone, but snow still blocks the path a few miles up every road we went on yesterday. there a few power line trails that looked fun i want to play on.
I did Lolo Pass today up the south side and down the north side under the powerline. It's all clear. Not sure about #18 spur road.
rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #1562
Mustangshelly
Adventurer...hardly

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecows View Post
I did Lolo Pass today up the south side and down the north side under the powerline. It's all clear. Not sure about #18 spur road.
Damn! I shoulda ditched Jeff and gone riding today! I ran into snow last weekend up there.
Mustangshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #1563
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecows View Post
The sunny powerline route is clear !!
guess what I'm doing some early day off this week ??

...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #1564
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,660
This is great news

Jeff, if you can confirm this I may have to ride over...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #1565
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,429
I heard that lake Branch and Red Hill might now be open.... The Mt. Hood Cycling Classic folks have been out plowing snow trying to get the roads opened up for the race!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #1566
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,043
bah humbug

suckin fruckin shishkabob eaten no good junkyard parts pickin pabst beer drinkin left handed tobaccy smokin farkle buyin hooligans
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #1567
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourPros View Post
suckin fruckin shishkabob eaten no good junkyard parts pickin pabst beer drinkin left handed tobaccy smokin farkle buyin hooligans
YOUR UP EARLY!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #1568
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
I heard that lake Branch and Red Hill might now be open.... The Mt. Hood Cycling Classic folks have been out plowing snow trying to get the roads opened up for the race!
I got MOST of the way up to the Red Hill Guard Station before snow stopped me...
It was dark by then, so no pics.

I made it all of the way up to the Laurance Lake / old Bear Creek Rd overlook,
had to pass only one big snowbank in the road

The view is always worth the sweet & bumpy ride up there,

I stayed there into dusk, the moon was out...

However, earlier in the day, I found that Green Point Rd may not get us to Ottertail Lake this year:

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #1569
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
YOUR UP EARLY!
And it sounds like he's not too happy about it
GOOD MORNING...TP...

I hope that wasn't too loud for you
Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #1570
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,043
Im up Im up damn

Woke up with the quote in my head

"You get a god damn job before sundown or were sendin you off to military school with the god damn Finklestein shit kid. Son of a bitch"

Some woudl think I am up early to ride or go fishing. And well they would be

WRONG

Instead I am trying to work up the gumption to go lay in the driveway to try and get deck off of mower to sharpen blades and replace the drive belt that decided not to drive anymore.

But occasionally these last few days off in the distance I have heard a four stroke doin its thing and I daydream that there is nothing to fix and no honey do list or job that is needed or bills and debts to be paid but alas I wake up and realize well you know.

So I guess it is time to turn up the tunes around here at The Lazy Lodge and get hammered uh I mean get to work. Uh yeah thats the ticket
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #1571
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
....So I guess it is time to turn up the tunes around here at The Lazy Lodge and get hammered uh I mean get to work. Uh yeah thats the ticket
Speaking of quotes....
"You can't drink all day, unless you get started in the morning"
Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #1572
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Suicide grade, Upper Mill Creek

I just wasn't in the mood to work today so I played instead. Mill creek at the start of Suicide Grade was a little high but I tried crossing it anyway. I crashed in the deepest part. I wanted to take a picture of the submerged WR but my camera was under water. I made it all the way to the rock fence and the Chinese sign, I did not see the foundations, how much further were they? I turned around at the rock fence, everyone has been giving me shit about riding alone and I figure I was pressing my luck by being that far out buy myself. Thing is I'm 73 and I can still get it up, the bike that is!

After that I took Mill Creek to highway 35 and had a lunch at the Sawblade restaurant. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get a camera-to-iPad cable.

Here's a picture of Suicide Grade. I'm posting these pictures with my new iPad so it's taking me a while to figure out.

XB12R screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 09:54 PM Reason: New picture
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #1573
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I just wasn't in the mood to work today so I played instead. Mill creek at the start of Suicide Grade was a little high but I tried crossing it anyway. I crashed in the deepest part. I wanted to take a picture of the submerged WR but my camera was under water. I made it all the way to the rock fence and the Chinese sign, I did not see the foundations, how much further were they? I turned around at the rock fence, everyone has been giving me shit about riding alone and I figure I was pressing my luck by being that far out buy myself. Thing is I'm 73 and I can still get it up, the bike that is!

After that I took Mill Creek to highway 35 and had a lunch at the Sawblade restaurant. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get a camera-to-iPad cable.
Nice !! I'm sorry you missed the pic, I would have enjoyed that ....sorry about your camera....
Chinese sign? Does it look new?
I remember one there from when I was a little kid explaining who built the rock fences, but I thought it was long gone. On the East side of the road was another sign, way back when, explaining the "Half Way House" being half way between The Dalles and the old Johns Mill, where the log flume had come from. The sign said it had hot and cold running water, way up there, in the 1890s

The schoolhouse foundation & sign is about another 4 miles.
There was another foundation I saw while Mtn Biking up there about 18-ish years ago.
But when I came back on the 990 last October, I musta blew right past it, or it's now gone too.
Right at or just past the rock fence is the nastiest of the deep ruts,
...in a mile or two it smooths to awesome forest two-track.

Good Ride ...Suicide Grade didn't tire you enough, that you had to ride to HR County?
I just love it up there on the top of Mill Creek Lookout Rd. Fast Fun.

yer 73? ...shit, Ron, you look great for 73, a new bike every year might just keep you young forever
Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #1574
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
AJ, my neighbor swears you can't legally ride through the water shed like we do on the Upper Mill Creek rd. Is that true? I've done it 3 times and the gate is always open.

The Chinese sign sits on the rock fence, it's very old and hard to read. Do you plan on taking a group up there this year?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #1575
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
AJ, my neighbor swears you can't legally ride through the water shed like we do on the Upper Mill Creek rd. Is that true? I've done it 3 times and the gate is always open.

The Chinese sign sits on the rock fence, it's very old and hard to read. Do you plan on taking a group up there this year?
Mill Creek Lookout Rd just weaves barely in and out of the edge of the Watershed.
It is legal, but closed seasonally. The West end of it, between the last two new green gates to the West, has been left off of the new Motorized Use maps, as if it does not exist; this has me worried for it's future. But, I was assured at the Parkdale FS Office, that if the gates are open, it is legal to ride a plated, street legal bike through there.

Suicide Grade Rd. is something special for us. It goes smack into the middle of the Watershed.
It was an old community, and was grandfathered in as access, and this was just never changed.
The signs prohibit being off of the road to either side, but it is legal for street legal motorized use...ON the road only.
Wasco County was asked by The Dalles City to NOT ever repair the bridge at the bottom, apparently to limit access.