ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #2236
CurbTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Abbot Road access

Hey Estamuhcada riders, how is acces to Abbot Road from the north? I guess that's the Fanton Road area. The west access is via the RV campground right off 224? Is that Silver Fox campground or something like that? Make that North Fork Road.
Squishy, it looks like you got nearly to Squaw Lakes area?
I've not ridden out there yet, just dorkin' on topo maps and such. Hoping to get out tomorrow or Tuesday if the weather doesn't get to wet.

NE

CurbTiger screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 01:00 PM
CurbTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #2237
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbTiger View Post
Hey Estamuhcada riders, how is acces to Abbot Road from the north? I guess that's the Fanton Road area. The west access is via the RV campground right off 224? Is that Silver Fox campground or something like that? Make that North Fork Road.
Squishy, it looks like you got nearly to Squaw Lakes area?
I've not ridden out there yet, just dorkin' on topo maps and such. Hoping to get out tomorrow or Tuesday if the weather doesn't get to wet.

NE
Yes to all questions...apart from the Nth/east access, don't know, i imagine it's pretty limited, being higher than where i was for a big part of it.
Go do it!! Great just riding the forest roads under the tree canopy.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #2238
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
Nice ride photos Craig & Crash.

Tidy church...what's with that stove stack, they couldn't get up in rafters & tie into the original? Must of been a new county by-law about distances in the attic? Real classy.

What is the GPS you have in your last photo, Garmin or Megellan? How do you like it?
That little stove stack trick is so that you get the most heat out of your stove and it puts it out on the ridge line so that it does not get taken out by the snow. And the GPS is the Garmin Montana. It's good but you need to be able to power it off the bike, it burns thourgh batteries fast if you don't!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #2239
Squishy
Positively charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
That little stove stack trick is so that you get the most heat out of your stove and it puts it out on the ridge line so that it does not get taken out by the snow. And the GPS is the Garmin Montana. It's good but you need to be able to power it off the bike, it burns thourgh batteries fast if you don't!
Can't they put it through the ceiling, & then run it on an angle up to the ridge...jeeesh, that'd interupt my Sunday service, i'd have to hop up on the ladder to rectify it before things could continue , nice wee church all the same.

Outdoor services would be so much more...well open, & liberating .
Us guys with adventure bikes do it a little different i spose!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #2240
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,173
Mustangshelly and I took the two hooligan hounds up the North side of Lolo Pass in the pickup Sunday to play in the sun and to see how far we could make it up to the summit.

On the main Lolo road we saw no snow anywhere at all until the gravel section, but then it got too deep very quickly, maybe just 1/4 mile further. Mile marker sign said 2 miles.

On the old gravel Lolo under the powerlines, we were likely within a mile or less of the top when we hit first snow, and again, it gets deep fast.

Besides that, we enjoyed the beautiful big West Fork Hood River valley, and had it all to ourselves. LOTS of water running down the hills right now. Maybe just a couple more weeks from breaking over the top.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #2241
Squishy
Positively charged

Lolo Pass (south side)

Cops are patrolling at the Storey block blockade, & ticketing bikes & cars from going around. It must be because of the washout area there (& possible ongoing work), & the fact that it is easy for them to get to from 26.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #2242
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Faraday Lake

Over in the PDX Off Pavement Ride thread a link was posted to a map of Oregon Ghost Towns and a couple of them were close to my location so I decided instead of sitting around the house I would go check them out.

Link to map of Oregon Ghost Towns
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...4da08ccc3a4f24

Getting out and exploring turned out to be a much better choice

So I headed up river from Estacada to look for the ghost towns of Faraday and Cazadero. Funny thing is I've ridden past the Faraday parking lot many times and never bothered to stop because I figured it was all private PGE property. And it sure did not look like a ghost town.

It turns out the towns of Faraday and Cazadero have been taken over by PGE. But I decided to stop anyway and realized the area was open to the public.

So Faraday has a lake that allows fishing from the bank and the road to get to Cazadero is closed off (unless you have a PGE vehicle). Since there were surveillance cameras in the area I decided it was better to be on foot than getting busted for riding the bike on private roads.

I don't know what type of fish are in the lake but if you like to fish it might be worth checking out.

I talked to a local and was informed that sections of the rail line were sink into the river a long time ago.

Anyway, from the parking lot you take this bridge to the lake.

A few shots from the bridge overlooking the Clackamas River.

Looking back at the parking lot.

The lake

This looked like a good place to sit down.

The view

I spent about 30 min's just hanging out and enjoying the view before heading out. I thought about walking down the road to see if I could find any signs of the old town but decided I would leave that for another day.

I then rode up river a few miles and found this location to relax before heading back home.

So no ghost town this time but it turned out to be a pretty good day.

Much better than doing yard work

Jon...

Jon_PDX screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 03:24 PM Reason: fix image
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #2243
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Hey guys, I'm thinking about riding the section of the WABDR from Carson to Trout Lake tomorrow afternoon, new to me, have not been there before. Does anyone know if I'm likely to run into snow still? Thought, comments, concerns? I will probably be headed out on my own, but am open to company.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #2244
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardforever View Post
Hey guys, I'm thinking about riding the section of the WABDR from Carson to Trout Lake tomorrow afternoon, new to me, have not been there before. Does anyone know if I'm likely to run into snow still? Thought, comments, concerns? I will probably be headed out on my own, but am open to company.
We tried to ride to the Ice Caves the other day from Trout Lake and did not even make it to the caves! You'll be able to make it up part of Trail Peak but I don't think you'll make it over the top.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #2245
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
We tried to ride to the Ice Caves the other day from Trout Lake and did not even make it to the caves! You'll be able to make it up part of Trail Peak but I don't think you'll make it over the top.
Thanks for the heads up, just looking for a good loop to ride this afternoon.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #2246
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

I was told I would run into snow somewhere around 3500 ft if I tried to do the WABDR route I wanted to. So I followed AJ's route up the Kilickitat, it was amazing today. If anyone would have been behind me on the dirt section today they would not have had so much fun, pretty dusty.

Right on the Klickitat off of Hwy 142

Viewpoint off the Glenwood Hwy

Found AJ's crossing

I didn't quite follow his route the whole way, left something to discover another day as time constraints brought me home. No better way to clear your head though.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #2247
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Question Clackamas River to Hwy 26?

Does anyone know if you can make it up the Clackamas River to Timothy lake and over to Hwy 26 yet????
Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #2248
Squishy
Positively charged

Quote:
Does anyone know if you can make it up the Clackamas River to Timothy lake and over to Hwy 26 yet????
I wouldn't think so Craig, i hit snow at 3600 last wkd on Abbot.
Although rockyroad said the 26 entrances are looking clear at Clear lake & Timothy.
On the larger road, more traffic etc though...you maybe good.

Bugger all help that was really ahh!

Just go, it'll be great on a beaut day like this anyway.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #2249
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
I wouldn't think so Craig, i hit snow at 3600 last wkd on Abbot.
Although rockyroad said the 26 entrances are looking clear at Clear lake & Timothy.
On the larger road, more traffic etc though...you maybe good.

Bugger all help that was really ahh!

Just go, it'll be great on a beaut day like this anyway.

Well, if I was trying from this side would be one thing but I will be coming from the West late after a U of O lacrosse game so I don't want to go up the Clackamas River just to get snowed out! might just have to go 26 to 35 or burn up 84...
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #2250
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,737
I rode up 46 Road about Wednesday, and at that time the barricade was still blocking 57 Road at the intersection.

Also, 46 is still marked as closed for travel to Detroit, and I did find snow at about 3500 ft. It had tracks showing pavement, but I assumed it would get worse, and it was getting late, so I turned around.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962

MortimerSickle screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 08:53 AM
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote