ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #451
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,659
pretty sure I won't spend the money on TKC's again. While they're pretty nice offroad and do ok on the street I'll probably only end up with 4500 miles on the rear. And for me I spend a lot of time riding pavement getting to and from dirt. I cringe every time I hit the freeway on the TKC's, I feel like I might as well be throwing money out of my pocket every mile. Back when we did the Continental Divide ride I used the Shinko 705's and for the price I thought they did a great job. I didn't experience any of the tread problems that I've read others have had. I have a new Metzler rear sitting in wait for this Spring and Summer riding. Just haven't got around to changing it yet.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #452
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Have you run the front Mefo in the past also? I'm thinking it has to be good in dirt and gravel?
I see that you've ordered anyway, here's my history with them

I thought that i had got the frt as well, but it was only the rear, i used the knobbies, on the KLR (back when they used to cost $160/pair) I got approx. 5k out of it, could have kept going, but switched for D606's for an enduro, which worked great...really noisey on the road tho.
When i switch these out, i'll get the MEFO explorers frt & rr, seen the KLR is going to be the bike i use more for street & gravel.

AJ's probably the one to ask about MEFO's...seems he likes to use the entire tire, tread, walls...& the rim!!!!
Squishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #453
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
I see that you've ordered anyway, here's my history with them

I thought that i had got the frt as well, but it was only the rear, i used the knobbies, on the KLR (back when they used to cost $160/pair) I got approx. 5k out of it, could have kept going, but switched for D606's for an enduro, which worked great...really noisey on the road tho.
When i switch these out, i'll get the MEFO explorers frt & rr, seen the KLR is going to be the bike i use more for street & gravel.

AJ's probably the one to ask about MEFO's...seems he likes to use the entire tire, tread, walls...& the rim!!!!
Thanks,
Well, we all know how much traction you have on the rims, about the same as you get off luggage!

Anyway, got the Mefo rear for $154.95 so we'll wear it out and have fun leaving little bits of Mefo scattered over 5 to 6 thousand miles!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #454
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Apple Jam, I'll start posting my rides here. I'm the one that did the Old Dalles road and The Dalles Mountain road report here.
http://pnwriders.com/dalles/146850-w...ay-coffee.html

Also, thanks for pointing out the Freebridge road. I'll have to make that soon. I also live in The Dalles (on Scenic), I hope to see you at the Saturday coffeee meet.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #455
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
I really like the tkc's off tarmac but man that rear wears down fast! Explorers weren't available in my size or I would have gone with them. D606s lasted a lot longer than the tkc on my airhead but not sure how they'd do on the F800gs.

I'm definitely going with mefos when I replace.
soyanarchisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #456
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
I really like the tkc's off tarmac but man that rear wears down fast! Explorers weren't available in my size or I would have gone with them. D606s lasted a lot longer than the tkc on my airhead but not sure how they'd do on the F800gs.

I'm definitely going with mefos when I replace.
A little bird told me the front Mefo is a "no" but the front TKC "good"? We'll see how many times I have to pick it up on corners and let ya know! I do like the 606's have them on the 640...
Old 04-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #457
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
Apple Jam, I'll start posting my rides here. I'm the one that did the Old Dalles road and The Dalles Mountain road report here.
http://pnwriders.com/dalles/146850-w...ay-coffee.html

Also, thanks for pointing out the Freebridge road. I'll have to make that soon. I also live in The Dalles (on Scenic), I hope to see you at the Saturday coffeee meet.
I know who you are......Zillah man
You can't hide from me under a Beemer banner, Mr. Buell
.......I finally used the last of those rolls of your Dad's old electrical tape you gave me at WetFest.

Saturday coffee meets will be hard for me to make;
I live 16 miles South of HR, and hate to waste 1/2 a Saturday for going to "town", where I really don't want to be, anyway

Welcome to the ADV local thread !!
Post those rides, show us shit we need to see!!
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #458
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Saturday coffee meets will be hard for me to make;
I live 16 miles South of HR, and hate to waste 1/2 a Saturday for going to "town", where I really don't want to be, anyway
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #459
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Thanks,
Well, we all know how much traction you have on the rims, about the same as you get off luggage!
HEY, now......

Quote:
A little bird told me the front Mefo is a "no" but the front TKC "good"? We'll see how many times I have to pick it up on corners and let ya know! I do like the 606's have them on the 640...
I'm open minded to any knobby front, it's just that I've experienced the TKCs, and they work so much better than the two DS tires, the Scorpion and Mefo front tires I've tried.

I've read on the Orange Crush to try the Michelin T-63??, as well as the Dunlap D606s up front also.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #460
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #461
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 730
looking to be an almost perfect ride weekend

mid 70's may actually be too warm on sun

aj, camp fire will be warm late sat and sun at my place in mosier if you're out and about. Plan is to ride sunday, thinking john mills rd to snow level then perhaps poking around the deschutes or powerlines.

Is Freebridge a deadend down at the river/tracks, or can you loop back up going south?
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #462
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
looking to be an almost perfect ride weekend

mid 70's may actually be too warm on sun

aj, camp fire will be warm late sat and sun at my place in mosier if you're out and about. Plan is to ride sunday, thinking john mills rd to snow level then perhaps poking around the deschutes or powerlines.

Is Freebridge a deadend down at the river/tracks, or can you loop back up going south?
Campfire Sat Nite sounds like the ticket . I can make that!
Applewife works the late 12hr shift, starting at 6pm and all night long.

Freebridge is deadend there & back, with a slightly longer dirt leg for the way back that Ys off to the North and goes back to pavement.

Freebridge is a great DS road, a bit rough for pickups on the way into/out of the canyon, smooth dirt-only but with mud ruts on the top flat part.
It's not very long, and the pavement to there and back may be boring for mid-size DSers,
but I think Freebridge Rd is one of those roads that everyone nearby should visit, at least once. It's pretty cool.

I'll still be on Shadow, so I won't be able to follow you out John's Mill/Ketchum Sunday, but I'm curious where the snow level is now, too.
We just got a thin layer of fresh snow in the low hills yesterday morning, but it was thin and looked like it melted fast.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #463
dvwalker
Working to ride

Good to hear AJ, drop me a PM if you need any info. Beer will be ice cold and fire will be ripping. Hopefully that thin layer of snow melts away on Sat.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #464
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Lolo Pass from the North

Well, we thought we would give Lolo Pass a try and just see how far we could go today. 2600' is about it for now, with a couple hot days ya might be able to get in another mile maybe! The old road under the power lines might melt a little faster but as you hit 2600' it gets deeper fast right now.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #465
dvwalker
Working to ride

too much cold weather this past week, that thin layer is lower than I thought.