ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #646
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer
 
MortimerSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
Oddometer: 11,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMag View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.
Disclaimer: I probably should have said that it was paved last time I rode it.

Barring natural disaster, or poor maintenance, it should still be street-bike friendly.
__________________


I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #647
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Disclaimer: I probably should have said that it was paved last time I rode it.

Barring natural disaster, or poor maintenance, it should still be street-bike friendly.
Nice, two lane, empty, Forest Road.
Rode it last Sunday. Friendly for any bike, even Hardleys
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #648
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer
 
XB12R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Zillah WA, The Dalles OR
Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Sure then, where should we meet in The Dalles?
How about Holstein's Coffee Parking lot?
Is 10am good?

XB12XR, you in?
98.6% sure I can make it. I plan on taking the XB12XT, it's on sport bike tires. I'm not sure of your route so I hope it's OK.
__________________
2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2011 WR250R, 1985 Beta TR32
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #649
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
98.6% sure I can make it. I plan on taking the XB12XT, it's on sport bike tires. I'm not sure of your route so I hope it's OK.
So just how did you come up with 98.6%????
Either way, it hasn't rained in a while, so you should be good to go.
The WA part is dirt & gravel. but we won't be in nooooo hurry.

See you at Holstein's @ 10am.....
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #650
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC
 
Craig McCurdy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Hood River, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,384
Wicked AJ's cell phone photo made me do it!

Okay Jeff! You started this the other day with your cell phone pic from the top of Mt. Defiance. So I got on the old 950 and took off. Ride report to follow, too many photo's to sort out right now... I did add over 500 miles to bike though.
I bet you know where this photo was taken!

Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #651
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Okay Jeff! You started this the other day with your cell phone pic from the top of Mt. Defiance. So I got on the old 950 and took off. Ride report to follow, too many photo's to sort out right now... I did add over 500 miles to bike though.
Fuggin' cool.
I'm a bad influence
I knew I'd grow up someday to be a bad influence,
despite what my wife says......

As for the pic,
I'm going with the old mining slag piles at Horse Heaven?
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #652
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer
 
smilin jack's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Lebanon Oregon
Oddometer: 1,222
Rusty Pile o' garbage

Found a big pile of rusty tin cans similar to yours, a few years back north of hwy 20 (Lost lake near Santiam Pass). It was a mile or two into the wilderness area. Researched and discovered it was the work camp for all the migrant workers while building the Hill and Hill railroad over Santiam Pass.

Any news on Crash Clay with the broken wing. Just checking...

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #653
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC
 
Craig McCurdy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Hood River, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Fuggin' cool.
I'm a bad influence
I knew I'd grow up someday to be a bad influence,
despite what my wife says......

As for the pic,
I'm going with the old mining slag piles at Horse Heaven?
You got it! that's one big pile O cans and the road is in great shape right now also.
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #654
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC
 
Craig McCurdy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Hood River, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
Found a big pile of rusty tin cans similar to yours, a few years back north of hwy 20 (Lost lake near Santiam Pass). It was a mile or two into the wilderness area. Researched and discovered it was the work camp for all the migrant workers while building the Hill and Hill railroad over Santiam Pass.

Any news on Crash Clay with the broken wing. Just checking...

Dave
The broken wing is going slow but better. No riding yet!!! And the photo was just one of the piles, it's kind of cool but at the same time ya just have to wonder what was in all those cans?

Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #655
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MadChap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Out of Prison
Oddometer: 407
Glad to see someone riding in my neck of the woods. Horse Haven is about 25 miles from my back door!

Here a link to my ride today. Hope no one minds me linking it here. It's not "Around the Hood" but just south of that "Around the Jefferson"

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706086


Tim
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #656
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,121
Absolutely THANKS for linking it here,
That area needs some exploration from me,
But one forest at a time, maybe September, before the snows fly
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #657
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC
 
Craig McCurdy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Hood River, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
Glad to see someone riding in my neck of the woods. Horse Haven is about 25 miles from my back door!

Here a link to my ride today. Hope no one minds me linking it here. It's not "Around the Hood" but just south of that "Around the Jefferson"

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706086


Tim
It's been a few years since the last time I was in the Horse Haven area and spent time there, it seems just a little harder to find your way around now. A few more gates and signs (and not the road type)!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #658
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer
 
XB12R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Zillah WA, The Dalles OR
Oddometer: 1,099
El guano, AJ

We must conquer Suicide Grade!! I at least need to find it. I have a built 4X4 Ranger (33's, Detroit Lockers, Warn Winch, etc) that I could check it out with. Let's get serious about this. I'm up for a challenge "Suicide Grade" sounds interesting. Also, it was nice riding with you guys today, I ended up on Lolo pass.
__________________
2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2011 WR250R, 1985 Beta TR32
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #659
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer
 
MortimerSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
Oddometer: 11,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
We must conquer Suicide Grade!! I at least need to find it.
...
Never heard of it, but....

http://oregon.hometownlocator.com/ma...de%20grade.cfm

http://itouchmap.com/?d=1156999&s=OR&f=slope

http://oregon.hometownlocator.com/ma...4,-121.3209065
__________________


I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #660
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer
 
XB12R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Zillah WA, The Dalles OR
Oddometer: 1,099
Lolo pass

I went to Lolo pass yesterday. Last time I was there was 28 years ago. It was rugged back then, I was on my R100S with my GF. Ruined a tire at the halfway point, got home at 3:00 the next morning. Now the thing is all paved except for about 5 miles in the middle. This would be a great ride on a sport bike. There is a power line road that parallels the main rd but it's pretty easy. I kinda miss the old rd.
__________________
2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2011 WR250R, 1985 Beta TR32
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014