Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
What happens when a KTM 950SM meets 3,000 lycra loonies...

Every Australia Day weekend since 1986, up to 3,000 lycra clad loonies invade Bright for the annual Audax Alpine Classic (www.alpineclassic.com.au). The touring club I ride with has provided motorcycle marshalling services for the event since the late 90s. A whisper that there was a free bed at the lodge, a cheeky email from me to the co-ordinator and I was designated the official freeloader for 2011.
Attached Images

Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

Careful planning meant I was able to skive off work in preparation of a late afternoon departure. I was delayed by a puncture in the new front tyre I’d fitted the week before to my recently acquired KTM kazi twiga (translation: speed giraffe). A call for help to Brett at Madbiker (www.madbiker.com.au) and I was leaving Boronia just before the Friday evening peak hour rush. Looking to make up lost time, I followed the highway to Yarra Glen, Yea and Mansfield.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

I shared the Mansfield-Whitfield Road with two other vehicles – both despatched on the long straight out of Mansfield. I thought I was riding well. I must admit I was somewhat proud of myself in that I did not squeal in fright as I entered the tighter corners at double plus the recommended speeds but the big KTM simply mocked me. I could hear its taunts “is that the best you can do? I mean really, if you are not going to make the effort, why should I bother…”.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

Complete with idiot grin, I stopped at the Whitfield pub for a counter meal. It has gone all posh and gourmet since my last visit. I had a taste for fish n chips but discovered it has been replaced on the menu by market fresh fish fillets lightly encrusted in a Hargreaves Hill pale ale beer batter served with rough cut chat wedges and country style tartare sauce. No complaints from me. It was fantastic. (www.hargreaveshill.com.au)
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

I turned right towards Chestnut and arrived at the dirt section of the Lake Buffalo Road on dusk. The roadside was lined with squadrons of bonsai! rabbits waiting their chance to attack but the random horses mid-road attracted more of my attention. It was on the loose gravel dirt that I encountered a handling issue with my bike. The back wheel kept sliding sideways out of the corners. A few km along and it started happening on the way into the corners as well. Nutty. I arrived at the lodge in Bright just on beer o’clock.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

Heading over to Mt Beauty for second breakfast with some of the motorcycle marshals on Saturday, I stopped at a lookout. Whilst taking in the scenery, a lycra encased glamazon cycled in looking more like she had just stepped from a photoshoot than pedalling to the top of Tawonga Gap. She was friendly and said nice things about my giraffe and how she was wanting to get her bike licence. I thought it best I made a hasty retreat before I pledged my love, proposed marriage and handed over a kidney and all my worldly wealth.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #7
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

At a forgettable café in Mt Beauty, the lead marshal outlined the need for someone to ride over Falls Creek to Omeo and then down Mt Hotham to inspect the road for potential hazards in preparation of Sunday’s cycling event. Not wanting to be a complete freeloader for the weekend, I selflessly volunteered for this task. A couple of goat brain moments led to some interesting corner lines on the road into Anglers Rest. A silver SS-V Commodore had organised a roadside disco complete with blinking and flashing coloured lights for some cruiser riders. It was a party I was happy to not be invited to.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #8
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

I was on the road and retracing my Friday evening route by 7am Sunday morning. I was not surprised to find that the handling problem returned when I hit the dirt. I again had the Mansfield-Whitfield Road to myself. Bliss. At Mansfield I took a left and rode towards Jamieson. The sight and sound of the ski boats churning the water at Howqua brought back memories of misspent study weeks when I was at uni. I set a new PB on the Jamieson-Eildon raceway, err sorry road.

As it was getting on for scone time, I cruised the main road to try the recently opened Giddy Goat café at Yark. Sadly they did not offer scones so I made do with a monster sized choc muffin and watched the parade of Harleys as they potato-potatoed past. A familiar commute through Yea, Kinglake and Yarra Glen back to the Gully.

Distance approx. 1,100km in 45 hours.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2011, 03:55 AM   #9
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Love it
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 882
Great report, BUT where is the photo of the lovely lass?? After that build up I was saddened you hadn't given us a snap shot of what you were there to protect

BTW, congrats on the Katey Em, a real treat of a bike.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
me too

Great RR.
boy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Great report, BUT where is the photo of the lovely lass?? After that build up I was saddened you hadn't given us a snap shot of what you were there to protect

BTW, congrats on the Katey Em, a real treat of a bike.

Cheers
Hiya Bob,

I've just bought a better, faster working camera in preparation for the next lass
Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 AM   #13
wi11iamson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post
.... the handling problem returned ....
And, what was the source of the handling problem?

Motorcycling - the best time I've had with my clothes on.
wi11iamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi11iamson View Post
And, what was the source of the handling problem?
completely, absolutely and unequivalently the big nut behind the handlebars

I guess I could have slowed down and used less throttle coming out of the corners, but where's the fun in that? I must admit, I didn't buy a KTM 950SM to play Captain Sensible
Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #15
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,944
The bit about he girl made me giggle, you boys are funny.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote