User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #31
rallen OP
"Lost with a Purpose"

Oddometer: 237
As Paul Harvey says "The rest of the Story" - Or mine anyway

I didn't post any of this originally due to the fact that I knew I did not install the damper to exact specifications.

Shortly after putting the review up, I did what I normally do during winter in Montana. Get naked, put on a sombrero and hip waders, and sit on my motorcycle in the garage turning the handlebars back and forth like a monkey, pretending that I am running Baja (Yes, I know, but the winters are pretty long up here).

Anyway, as I was playing with the steering damper, I first noticed that there was alot of play in the center position of the damper. Then the damper went to zero resistance. Sure enough, the bolt was spinning.

When I tightened the nut, I only had a 3/8 inch torque wrench, and it would only go to 85 ft/lbs. The torque value (I got it off the torque chart from http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/torque.htmlom) is 96 ft/lbs. Hopefully thats right!

I was not terribly dissapointed at the fact that I had to tear everything down again because I wanted to replace the micro incapsulated nuts (steering stem and fork tubes) anyway.

The only options I can think of that might cause this are (but I could be wrong):

A - Bad design
B - Wrong torque applied
C - Bearing wasn't seated all the way and gave a false torque reading

What holds the bolt? The bolt is basically a shoulder bolt (see page one pics). It clamps on the shoulder above the threads, which is supposed to keep it from turning. I checked the original bolt with the new bolt (by eye, not with calipers) before the initial install, and it looked like it was the same. I don't know if it has enough "hold" for this purpose, time will tell.

I tore everything back down, but before installing the new nut, I retightened the old one to spec, and thumped the bolt head with a mallet in hopes of seating the bearing. I then replaced the nut with the new one and re-torqued. I used a long 1/2 drive torque wrench this time, but to get the wrench and socket to fit (ESA), I had to sand the end off the socket to make it short enough.

The "play" in the center of the steering was due to the coupler mounted on the bottom shaft of the damper being loose. I put blue locktite on it and tightened it up.

Right now everything seems to be working. I have not put the damper to any serious use as of yet, and probably will not be able to for another month or so.

PLEASE READ THIS:

When I was playing with the damper when the bolt was turning, somehow I managed to:

Turn the damper to full lock while it was working (bolt did not spin)
Then turn it to full lock the other way (bolt did spin)
When I tried to turn it back, the bolt grabbed and did not spin (damper was still at full lock for the opposite direction)

What happened? The steering locked and I was unable to turn it back.

No big deal in the garage, but very bad when running 80mph.

I made sure I have an allen wrench to take this thing off in the event that the bolt spun while riding.

DO NOT RIDE WITH THE BOLT SPINNING

Hopefully this project has a happy ending-

rallen screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 10:42 PM
rallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #32
rallen OP
"Lost with a Purpose"

Vaughan

Vaughan, do you have any input on the bolt issue. I know your website states that the damper should be installed by a professional, but in the United States, we are ALL self deemed professionals.

Also, any word on the risers?

rallen screwed with this post 04-25-2011 at 03:14 PM
rallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #33
snsbeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Ok, I installed one of the RM-2 dampers on my standard '11 12GS last weekend and can now offer the following comments based on my experience with the installation.

I know the included instructions are lacking in a few areas and one really important area is the large 14mm nut on the end of the bearing bolt as it is critical to the operation of the damper. I used a combination of the BMW service instructions for the r&r of the bearing bolt and the instructions from Ralle-Moto.
I know there has been some trouble with the large 14mm nut slipping on the end of that bearing bolt causing the damper to beome inoperative.
According to BMW, this nut (PN 31422330996 and $7!) is supposed to be replaced once removed because it comes with the "micro-encapsulated" threadlocker, although the service manager at SSBMW says you can just clean up the old one and re-apply red Locktite. I had already bought one so I used it in my installation.
This nut has to be torqued to the required 96 ft/lb (!) or it will not hold the torque applied by the damper. I also cleaned the threads on the bearing bolt with solvent to make sure of a good bond.
I used a 22mm socket on a ratchet wrench to hold the cross cut bolt head on the other end of the bearing bolt after indexing the cross cut as per instructions. I threaded one of the handle bar hold down bolts to use as a brace to hold the ratchet wrench and torqued away on the 14mm nut.

After all of the installion was finished I set the damper up according to the instructions (which were not included with the damper) from RM's website. Because I don't ride much offroad with the GS I set it up with the street seetings and did my usual commute between Tacoma and Seattle. Right off the bat the bike feels more planted and more like a much heavier bike feels at freeway speeds, kind of like my GT did.
I do believe this will be a huge improvement when riding in loose offroad stuff like sand or gravel, I know how much it helped my KTM to have a damper on it.
Another thing, this thing once installed is absolutely trick looking and the beauty of the way it works with the stock bike shows how very well thought out it's design is.
I think this thing is most definitly on the recommended or "buy" list for anyone who may own a GS.

For those of us who are not like how "BigDave" is described, this is also a safety item helping us control the beast in the loose stuff.

Scott

2008 KTM EXC 450R (Lighter!)
snsbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #34
rallen OP
"Lost with a Purpose"

Vaughan contacted me and he said basically what is becoming apparent:

The bearing needs to be seated properly and the bolt needs to be torqued properly.

I did not originally post my nut turning experience (as mentioned in the other thread) because I knew I hadn't torqued the bolt properly. I did not want to drag Ralle Moto through the mud over my mistake.

However, I think this is good info for everybody to know. Take your time and do it right, or else have it done by the shop.

As far as the risers are concerned, for some reason Vaughan thinks his life and business are more important than catering to me, which is
bull#$%@ (just kidding). He is working on them, but unsure with his tight schedule when he can get them out.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #35
mark0ne
Ralle-Moto Adventure

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallen View Post
As far as the risers are concerned, for some reason Vaughan thinks his life and business are more important than catering to me, which is
bull#$%@ (just kidding). He is working on them, but unsure with his tight schedule when he can get them out.
Hahaha! good 1 Rallen! But you would be suprised how many people think that..... But like I said I wont forget you and I will try this weekend as we have a 5 day holiday over here this weekend it will be a good chance to get some extra work done without the phone ringing!! The first set will be on the first plane destined for Rallenville
mark0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #36
rallen OP
"Lost with a Purpose"

Here is some good info that explains a few things like the high speed damper circuit and settings for different terrians. I don't think this was up when I bought mine.

http://www.rallemoto.com/contents/en-us/d40.html
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #37
Harry Potter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
RM2 Working yet?

Rallen, Any recent rides with the RM2 or is it off the bike?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #38
rallen OP
"Lost with a Purpose"

It's on the bike and working, BUT

I am moving down to AZ next month, and have not been able to ride
because of having to get the house ready to sell, packing, ect-

Starting in June, I will be riding the crap out of it, and will be located in an area with awesome desert riding in the back yard.

I think the "El Camino del Diablo" will be a good proving track for the damper if I can get access.

After reading the info about the settings, it kind of explains a few things. I set the damper at what I thought was the lowest setting (1), but noticed the high speed was kicking in very easily making slow speed turns a pita. The "Neutral Setting" is 4/3, hopefully inbetween packing boxes next week I can get out and run some high speed gravel and give it a whirl-
Old 08-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #39
TenereTravelers
Let's go there!

Oddometer: 56
Ralle Moto RM2 fitted to Yamaha Tenere XT660Z

Here is a photo of the Ralle Moto RM2 fitted to my Yamaha Tenere XT660Z. All up, I am very happy with it and the only recommendation that I could make is that the operating instructions be included when shipping. The information is published on the Ralle-Moto website but a small instruction leaflet will be great.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #40
firestorm_au
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hi mates,
I have a question to those who also have Ralle Moto RM 2 dampener on 800gs.
It is a great product but there is something that annoys me a little bit.

Even on the stiffest settings it seems to have a little bit of the "free" play (5-10 mm if measuring the edges of the handlebars - clearly can be noticed when shaking the bars left and right with a small amplitude). It is caused most likely by a tiny gap between the pin and the edges pin slot.

Does anyone have the same issue or your handlebars give you "dead" feeling when on 8-6 setting?

Any input will be very appreciated.
firestorm_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #41
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Does anyone know if the RM2 replaces the RM? Last year when I was reading about the RM1 it was around $1200,the RM2 is almost 1/2 that price. Just wondering if I'd be comparing them as "apples to apples" or are they 2 totally different units?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #42
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Does anyone know if the RM2 replaces the RM? Last year when I was reading about the RM1 it was around $1200,the RM2 is almost 1/2 that price. Just wondering if I'd be comparing them as "apples to apples" or are they 2 totally different units?
AFAIK the RM2 supersedes the RM damper. As to why they dropped in price, dunno.

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #43
davidpetersen
BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
RM1 required a large riser block. RM2 doesn't. It's all about the cost of manufacturing.
F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

http://www.bestrestproducts.com
davidpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #44
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
1. Where on the rallemoto sight are the instructions for the RM2 for the R1200GS/A?
The only thing I saw was that a BMW shop do the install

2. Didn't BestRest drop the RM dampners so now they would have to be ordered direct from Aus. or the Canadian dealer?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #45
davidpetersen
BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
1. ???

2. Yes
F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

http://www.bestrestproducts.com
davidpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote