Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,482
Offroad/enduro mounting for GPSMAP 478/276c

Found a lot of mounting threads searching but not one specific to mounting on small enduro bikes. Appreciate a link to existiing threads if there are any that I missed.

I was going to be mounting my a GPSMAP 478 on my 07 450 EXC .... planning on using it for some long distance dirt trips (TAT etc). I've not had any issues with my current 60cs and ram mount (always loop lanyard around bars) but with the extra weight of the 478 I was going to get one of the Touratech mounts

I called Cycoactive and they recommended just the standard flat mount. They said they recommend the MvG mounts more for 2-stroke applications. I've talked to others who said they found that the MvG damping made the screen hard to read off-road .... p.s I'm looking for a decent condition used flat mount if anyone has one they want to sell, please PM me

The rub: I'd also like to mount on my 950.

What I'm looking for is a mounting setup thats very stable on rough offroad for the 450 but that allows quick swapping of the mount so I can put it onto the 950. Obvious solution is to use a RAM diamond base with the TT flat mount but I'm worried about how stable this will be offroad on the 450, RAM arm coming loose etc.

options I've found so far:

- Touratech recommended the Enduro Engineering crossbar, which Arch started an old thread on here. From arch's pics it's on a street bike and it seems like it raises it quite high about the bar clamps. I suppose it helps with viewing but 1/2 the height would seem more useful in keeping it all out of the way. Swapping over to the 950, looks like you just remove the brass colored crossbar clamp off the underside of the TT mount and install a RAM Diamond base in it's place. Not sure how well this works dozens of times a year?

- Other cross bar option is the Bracket Kit III that Arch added to his KTM here. Looks like this keeps the mount lower but still have the same issue about ease of swapping between 450 and 950.

- Other thing I've seen discussed is the Techmount. Does anyone have pics of the Touratech flat mount attached to the Techmount? Not sure what the removal process is, whether I could buy one for each bike and quickly switch the mount between them.

Any other options/suggestions?

crazybrit screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 10:25 AM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
I use the TT flat mount with the RAM short arm. The standard arm is the mid-length and I found it would move during off-road use. The short arm and a steep (vertical) mounting angle seemed to have solved that. I mount the RAM u-bolt ball on toward the center of the bar with the arm and mount outward.

That's what works for me on my R12GS, 950SE and DRZ400. YMMV.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:12 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,685
I wouldn't mount something as heavy as the X76/78 series on a RAM, but that is me.

My 376C has a lot of offroad/backroad miles on a TT MvG mount, and that is the only think I would recommend.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Found a lot of mounting threads searching but not one specific to mounting on small enduro bikes. Appreciate a link to existiing threads if there are any that I missed.

I was going to be mounting my a GPSMAP 478 on my 07 450 EXC .... planning on using it for some long distance dirt trips (TAT etc). I've not had any issues with my current 60cs and ram mount (always loop lanyard around bars) but with the extra weight of the 478 I was going to get one of the Touratech mounts

I called Cycoactive and they recommended just the standard flat mount. They said they recommend the MvG mounts more for 2-stroke applications. I've talked to others who said they found that the MvG damping made the screen hard to read off-road .... p.s I'm looking for a decent condition used flat mount if anyone has one they want to sell, please PM me

The rub: I'd also like to mount on my 950.

What I'm looking for is a mounting setup thats very stable on rough offroad for the 450 but that allows quick swapping of the mount so I can put it onto the 950. Obvious solution is to use a RAM diamond base with the TT flat mount but I'm worried about how stable this will be offroad on the 450, RAM arm coming loose etc.

options I've found so far:

- Touratech recommended the Enduro Engineering crossbar, which Arch started an old thread on here. From arch's pics it's on a street bike and it seems like it raises it quite high about the bar clamps. I suppose it helps with viewing but 1/2 the height would seem more useful in keeping it all out of the way. Swapping over to the 950, looks like you just remove the brass colored crossbar clamp off the underside of the TT mount and install a RAM Diamond base in it's place. Not sure how well this works dozens of times a year?

- Other cross bar option is the Bracket Kit III that Arch added to his KTM here. Looks like this keeps the mount lower but still have the same issue about ease of swapping between 450 and 950.

- Other thing I've seen discussed is the Techmount. Does anyone have pics of the Touratech flat mount attached to the Techmount? Not sure what the removal process is, whether I could buy one for each bike and quickly switch the mount between them.

Any other options/suggestions?
I've been using a TT flat mount/EE cross-bar bracket on a 276c for about 4 years with no problems. The height hasn't been an issue thru a few minor crashes....Ram mounts are OK until you hit a big hole or a G-out...requires constant re-positioning...I wouldn't use a rigid mount of any kind without some kind of shock isolation...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
I wouldn't use a rigid mount of any kind without some kind of shock isolation...
Please note, I was never suggesting using a RAM mount. Only a Touratech mount.

I was pondering attaching a RAM diamond base (see the pictures on the TT website) onto the rear of the Toutatech flat mount Their mount is designed to accept either a RAM diamond or the 1/2" clamp on the rear.

It's the only option I can think of that would allow me to quickly remount onto my 950 .... but I'm aware that using a RAM arm, even the short one has disadvantages. See original post, worried that arm may come loose offroad. I've only ever used the standard arm, so MJS's comment above about short arm is interesting.

The EE crossbar looks like a nice setup but I'm wondering how easy it will be to switch the mount, between bikes. Doubly so if each time you switched you were swapping between 1/2" clamps and RAM diamond mount on the rear of the mount.

crazybrit screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 09:50 AM
Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Please note, I was never suggesting using a RAM mount. Only a Touratech mount.

I was pondering attaching a RAM diamond base (see the pictures on the TT website) onto the rear of the Toutatech flat mount Their mount is designed to accept either a RAM diamond or the 1/2" clamp on the rear.

It's the only option I can think of that would allow me to quickly remount onto my 950 .... but I'm aware that using a RAM arm, even the short one has disadvantages. See original post, worried that arm may come loose offroad. I've only ever used the standard arm, so MJS's comment above about short arm is interesting.

The EE crossbar looks like a nice setup but I'm wondering how easy it will be to switch the mount, between bikes. Doubly so if each time you switched you were swapping between 1/2" clamps and RAM diamond mount on the rear of the mount.
I switch between the TT mount on my dirt bike and a Ram cradle on my street bike. Ram makes a snap in cradle for the 276/478 models...takes about 5 seconds to remove the GPS from the TT mount and snap it into the Ram cradle. If you're not going off-road, the cradle works just fine...

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2...176C-276C-376C
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
I switch between the TT mount on my dirt bike and a Ram cradle on my street bike. Ram makes a snap in cradle for the 276/478 models...takes about 5 seconds to remove the GPS from the TT mount and snap it into the Ram cradle. If you're not going off-road, the cradle works just fine...

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2...176C-276C-376C
I do ride off-road on the 950 (gravel roads, jeep trails etc) just not stuff thats as rough as on the 450. But the above is an option I'd not considered. Thanks!

I'd be curious if there is some neat mounting option that allows the Touratech mount to be quickly switched between bikes yet still works well for off-road use. Still kinda curious on the Techmount but not seeing how it would attach to the TT mount. I know I read that someone was using the combo.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,656
I used a techmount and disliked it greatly. It gradually worked loose on a dual-sport trip, requiring re-adjusting. It is all locked into place, so if you want to reposition your GPS temporarily (a great advantage of the RAM system), the techmount does not permit this.

Worst of all, it uses, inexplicably, all SAE sized allen bolts, of varying sizes, so you have to carry a whole other set in your toolkit just to tighten your frigging GPS mount.

The quickest swap setup would be using the round RAM ball on the back of the Touratech flat mount and using RAM balls on both the dirtbike and streetbike.

Most "rugged" solution would be a TT mount/crossbar on the dirtbike and RAM cradle/Garmin cradle on the street setup. However the RAM cradle may not be quite enough for what you need on the 950. I'd try the short RAM arm and ball mount on the back of the TT cradle, personally.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
I'd try the short RAM arm and ball mount on the back of the TT cradle, personally.
Thanks. I'll give this a go. I'll fab up a safety strap/lanyard of some kind to backup the RAM arm.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,555
I have a Ram mount and a Touratech flat mount for my 376c. After trying both, I have decided I like the Ram mount better on my dirt bike. Reason being that if you fall or a limb hits the GPS, it's going to just move the Ram arm instead of smashing it when it's on the fixed mounted Touratech mount. I've been using the Ram mount for about 3 years now on my dirt bikes and not once has the GPS come out of the mount. This includes a few GNCC races. My Tourtech only gets used on the big Adventure bikes now.

About 1 mile after this pic was taken at the SnowShoe GNCC, I had a 35mph down hill endo. The Ram was moved to the side pretty far but the GPS wasn't effected, it was still mounted. I just loosened the thumb screw, readjusted the mount and it was back to normal position. I'm certain the GPS and Touratech mount would have been flattened had I used that system.

KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,108
I use the MSR Universal computer mount and a Touratech

I have a 478 in the touratech mount and attach it to the cross bar in the MSR Universal Mount. If you had an extra base (or bases) on each bikes handlebar clamps, it would be just a matter of loosening two allen head bolts to pull it off one bike. I'll try to attach a photo from a website. I've had this on my 950SE - it survived a endo on last year's Montana 1000 much better than I did.
Attached Images

Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote