Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #136
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Well, I know yo made it out allright, but the suspense is still getting to me.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #137
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,082

Heheh...
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #138
mac inger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
hehehe indeed

freakin crashing into a truck and getting runover and not remembering anything

Cheers to you stuntman
mac inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #139
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,051
Holy shit Alex I didn't know any of this.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #140
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Yeah, what a mess.

So I was in the hospital. I got my own room with my own morphine button. The owner of the truck stopped by to check up on me. He says that he had just driven several hundred miles and pulled over on the side of the highway, along the guard rail, to take a nap. After the initial impact and the follow up run-over, he had run out into the road and dragged me off to the side by my leg. Which one, who knows. The weird thing is that he mentioned later on that he only lived ten or so miles away from the scene of the accident, so something just didn't seem right to me. That, and I have a hard time imagining that I just plowed into the back of a truck with it's 4-ways on, especially after driving without incident acrossed country. But he was the only witness, and I don't remember shit, so that's how the story goes.

A reporter for the paper stopped by my second day in. She had a photographer with her and did a brief interview, as well as snapping some photos. She informed me that the guy that ran me over was just a kid, 16 or so, and he had just gotten his license. He was apparently very shaken up by the whole incident, not that I can blame him.

I was in the hospital for a total of three days... I think. I had physical therapy to make sure I could move around alright with a bum leg and crutches. I was shown how to get into bed and climb stairs while supporting the limb. The nurses kept feeding me laxatives, which I ditched, saying that the morphine was going to stop me up. I couldn't sit on the john without feeling like I was being stabbed in the hip with a torch, but that didn't seem to concern anyone. Fuck that...

From the hospital I was moved to a local hotel for a few days. I had a lot of trouble moving around. I was barely able to climb into the back seat of the rental car, and by then had taken on a routine of two percocet every two to three hours. I was either downright loopy or in incredible pain. Again, no cast or anything, just the rod and a few bandages. The story made the paper and I had a few donations come in, which I thought was downright awesome. At one point a man called and offered up a pair of plane tickets to get me home. I wrote down his info on the side of a orange juice carton, but later discovered that in my haze, the number was less than accurate... bummer.

My mother in the mean time went back to the bike, which had then been towed to an impound lot, and took some pictures as well as grab what ever gear had survived the accident. She also stopped by the campground to grab my tent and shit. We went through it back at the hotel, I threw out alot as the helmet and jacket had been destroyed. It's during this time that a man came wandering over from acrossed the street. He asked if I was the kid from the paper, the one that had the accident. Indeed, I was. He apparently was on the scene shortly after the shit hit the fan. He said I was conscious, but less than aware. I kept asking "How's the bike? Is the bike okay?" to which he informed me that it was totalled. "I'm gonna kick his ass.... motherfucker...." was all I replied. I got a laugh out of this. I don't remember shit, but apparently I was aware enough to be pissed off.

From there, we mailed off whatever had survived back home and headed to the airport. I was ushered through security in my wheel chair and allowed to hobble onto the plane before anyone else. I sat with my back to the window and my legs up on the seat next to me, popping pills the whole way. A 9 hour flight... awesome. I tried to read, tried to stay busy or get some sleep, but neither was happening.

Flew back to the Rochester, NY airport well after dark and got picked up by my father, who was damn near in hysterics. I laughed and joked around, trying to lighten the mood the entire way back. Still wasn't feeling much pain, I grew to love the percs...
Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #141
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

The next week or so will always stick with me. I continued my pain killer routine, but had stopped eating completely. As a matter of fact, I wouldnt eat again for another two weeks. I would down a protein drink every now and again, but when it came down to it I just couldn't stomach to eat. As a result, I slowly withered away to a measly 165 lbs, which looked mighty awkward with my 6'2" frame.

Anyway, I made camp on the living room couch. I had a lot of trouble making it up the narrow stairway to the second floor of my turn of the century home. On more than one occassion, I would roll over in the middle of the night to have my leg completely dislocate from my hip, leaving me screaming in agony. I was only able to manage 45 minutes of sleep at a time as it was, but this just didn't help. I couldn't sleep on my left side, and moving the wrong way would quickly pop out my leg again. This happened while sleeping as well as hobbling around the house. It really sucked when I was up and it popped. Never once was I able to stay upright. POP, and down I went. I assumed I had fucked up the muscles in my groin or something and they just weren't getting the job done. But on my 10 day check up, the surgeon came in with my X-ray and commented "I think your hip is broken. We need to get you into surgery ASAP." Awesome.

So, what it comes down to is that the Fairbanks hospital had missed a little something. Well, a big something. The X-rays that I came home with clearly labeled an "Artifact", or anomoly in my X-ray at the hip but for some reason hadn't noticed the break. With the rod hammered in from hip to knee, there was no way the surgeon could attach a plate to the femur to mend the hip. He did what he could, but it was less than what it should have been. He seemed very nervous about the whole situation, and gave me some disheartning chances that the hip bone had died off. After all, it had been floating around my meat sack with no support and little blood supply for at least 10 days, who knows what kind of damage had resulted. We could only hope that my youth would be a factor, and that it would mend.

This trip to the hospital sucked compared to the Fairbanks run. I was stuck in a room with a guy that would not stop talking the pestering me with questions. The TV was pay-per channel, and the equipment looked older than I. The nurses were less than what I had hoped for, as well, and the simple task of inserting an IV proved an impossible task for one. "Let me try again" she commented after driving the needle into muscle. "How bout you get someone else" was all I could manage through clenched teeth.

So I went in for surgery, and came out white-knuckling the bed-rail and screaming. Some how, they had neglected to take into account that I had been on opiates for several days now, insane doses, and the morphine wasn't doing a damn thing. An surgical assistant would later come in and question me on drug abuse. It took something like 12 times the amount of morphine to calm me down, and they were convinced I was abusing something that had kicked my tolerance into overdrive.

That night sucked just as much as anything. The guy continued talking, and in my morphine-induced haze there wasn't much I could do. The blood-oxygen sensor kept faulting and resulting in the pleasant BEEEEEEEP of a flat-line. Oddly enough, no one seemed to care. No nurses, nothing. I tinkered and hit the nurse button, but no one came. I yelled, nothing. I merely kicked the machine away with my free leg and disconnected myself, drifting back to sleep. A nurse would come in some time later and lecture me about disconnecting the gizmo. "If no one is going to care when I flatline, then leave it off and let me get some damn sleep." I had to sign a wavier. Whatever.

The next morning they did the routine range of motion tests and commented that if I couldn't walk I'd hafta stay for another night. Fuck that, I'm fine, I'm going home. I've had enough of this, enough of you, and enough of the guy on the other side of the curtain. So I hobbled over to my father's car and slid into the back seat, pinning my knee against the back of the passenger seat to keep it from bouncing around. I headed home, my old man in a damn near panic the entire time.

I got home, hobbled up to the back door to be greeted by my brother. "Al, before you come in could you pull out the lawn mower. We couldn't get it running." he said with a smirk on his face. I would have beat him with the crutch right then and there were it not a critical part of my vertical stability. Into the living room I went, popped a couple percs and passed out. This is the beginning of a long ass recovery.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #142
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
damn dude....... this is a helluva story, glad your around to be tellin it....
Old 04-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #143
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Man, that is some shit treatment.....I know the NHS gets slagged off over here but its still better than that
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #144
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

I'm fuckin bionic.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #145
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,130
Good blessed Jesus!

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #146
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
I like this...we still have like a year and a half of ride report left. You'll never get it all done before it's time to leave on the next one.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #147
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
I like this...we still have like a year and a half of ride report left. You'll never get it all done before it's time to leave on the next one.
Tell me about it. 22,000 words up to this point. That's a 5 week report. The next installment lasted 6 months.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #148
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,206
Really enjoyed your RR. Sorry about your mishap.
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #149
BOHUNTR
Character and Honor Count

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post

I'm fuckin bionic.
At 22 yoa, you aren't looking too bad. There is no visible sequestra in the bone that would lead me to believe you have any avascular necrosis of the femoral head caused by your injury. Based on this x-ray, and your age, and the type of work your doctor did during the surgery, leads me to believe that you will not likely have any complications regarding bone abnormalities 2/2 your initial injury and treatment in Canada.

Drive on bro. Hope that helps.

Uhm... It's still going to be a long road to recovery, but barring unforeseen complications, you'll pull through!
BOHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 AM   #150
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHUNTR View Post
At 22 yoa, you aren't looking too bad. There is no visible sequestra in the bone that would lead me to believe you have any avascular necrosis of the femoral head caused by your injury. Based on this x-ray, and your age, and the type of work your doctor did during the surgery, leads me to believe that you will not likely have any complications regarding bone abnormalities 2/2 your initial injury and treatment in Canada.

Drive on bro. Hope that helps.

Uhm... It's still going to be a long road to recovery, but barring unforeseen complications, you'll pull through!
You aint kiddin. I'm already arthritic.