Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #181
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
HE NEEDS TO CHILL MAN.... tHIS NEEDED TO BE DONE.
Glad ya made it back safe!
Glad to be back, man.

Well, it looks like I was able to save my photos and journal entries. After a quick re-install of the OS we should be back to our semi-regularly scheduled updates. Who's ready for another ride?
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #182
heffa
Canyon Hillbilly

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
Glad to be back, man.

Well, it looks like I was able to save my photos and journal entries. After a quick re-install of the OS we should be back to our semi-regularly scheduled updates. Who's ready for another ride?

Ready when you are...

Well, Strip my gears and call me Shiftless...

She said, " Your a Flippin' Moron!"
heffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #183
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
You mean there's been a schedule?

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #184
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
You mean there's been a schedule?

Hahahahaha....... bite me
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #185
Mike92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Where ya been? This RR is down to page 4 already!

Bring us some more!
Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #186
AJxr

Oddometer: 930
Im still subscribed

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #187
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Chasing the Sun – 24, 504 miles

Same as before, my initial goal for the first stint of this trip was to simply get the fuck out. I had a few targets in mind. I had friends that I wanted to visit in Michigan, as well as some recommendations from my older brother to check out Pictured Rocks in the Upper Peninsula. I headed south, then west along route 5&20, same as last year. Kinda lame, I know, but it was the quickest and simplest way to get out of town. And to be honest, it actually isn't a half bad route to take. It gets extremely rural in some spots. So I cruised into Buffalo, then followed the southern shore of the great lakes through Erie and Cleveland, into Sandusky. I stopped here at Tony's Hots for a quick snack. It's here that the owner and his wife wander over and strike up a conversation. They're fascinated by the bike and my intentions. Before long, the owner had brought over a large strawberry shake and tossed me twenty bucks of gas money in exchange for a post card from Alaska. I hadn't made up my decision yet as to whether or not that ride was even on the table, but I hadn't ruled it out. I had made the trip once, but failed to ride back south. Mulligan, right?

I headed back out of town and made camp for the night in some random field. It's funny, my brother had been watching my progress using the Spot GPS locator website and sent me a text that night. “Are you camping out in the middle of a field? There's a better spot up the road.” I didn't know it was that accurate. Good stuff.

From there I moved on, heading for Detroit. I had always heard about the old abandoned Packard Plant in the city and thought it was worth a look. It was more or less on my way, anyway, so why not? Cruising into town, I catch a glimpse of a hulking monstrosity along the skyline. I b-line it for the structure. It looked to be some sort of train terminal. I scoot around the fence through an open gate and wander up to a landscaping truck, the owner sitting in the front seat downing a bagged lunch. I strike up a conversation with him, I believe his name was Chris. This was, indeed, some sort of central railroad terminal way back when. A sister structure to the Buffalo Central Terminal I knew all too well. Chris was the groundskeeper and kept an eye on the place for the owner. It had apparently been used in several films including one of the Transformers movies. I asked for permission to poke around and he said he was cool with it, as long as I made it quick.

So I wandered around the back side and checked the place out. First thing's first, get to the roof. 16 flights of stairs between me and a partually collapsing rooftop. Along the way I stumbled on a lone golf ball and pocketed it, sure it would prove to be useful at some point. And indeed, it was. Out in the open sun of the roof, I sparked one up and wandered to the edge, golf ball in hand. With a heave-ho, I launched it off the side and kept an eye as it sailed into the urban forest below. It hit the concrete with a solid CRACK and bounced high. Really fucking high. I mean, this thing cleared the goddamn freeway. Awesome. With a chuckle I doubled back and made laps of the building as I moved back down a few floors at a time. Made some quality panoramas while I was at it. I stumbled on another pair of explorers as I wandered through the darkness. “Uh-oh” I said loudly, my voice echoing through the main chamber. From a distance they seemed spooked as I approached, I'm sure they thought they had been busted. I sparked one up as I wandered nearer and laughed “Relax, I'm here for the same reason you are.” We shot the shit a bit, commenting on the history of this place before we split ways.

Back outside, I approached my bike just as Chris was packing up. We chatted a bit and I thanked him for giving me the opportunity to wander about. I tossed him a little baggy of some home grown and he, in exchange, gave me half a reefer brownie. Awesome. With that I mounted my steed and pulled back out onto the highway, quickly getting loss. I knew where I wanted to go, but how to get there was clearly behind me. Weaving through traffic down the lowered highway, I was suddenly enveloped in a cloud of smoke that seemed to billow from the surface streets and roll down the walls onto the highway. I take the next exit and followed the smoke to a house fire. I parked amongst the urban dwellers and picked their brains a bit as to where I could find the Packard plant. With vague directions in hand, I headed out.

It really wasn't that hard to find the place when it came down to it. The building took up a goos three or four city blocks and could be seen miles down the road. I pulled up with a shit-eating grin on my face and did a few laps. Shipping docks were closed off, entire wings of the plant collapsed into a mishmash of stone, steel, and garbage. Abandoned boats, cars, Rvs, you name it, this place had it. Piles of molten tires, still reeking of burning rubber were surrounded by concrete walls blackened with soot. I found a ramp leading into the building and decided to do a little off-roading, resulting in one hell of a video. This place was massive and quite a fun playground to tinker around in, but with day light fading fast I had to head out. I gave my buddy Brian a call and got directions to his place before heading out at warp speed. I just wanted out of the city at this point.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #188
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike92 View Post
Where ya been? This RR is down to page 4 already!

Bring us some more!
I know, I know.

I'm workin on it, dammit.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #189
Mike92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
LOL ! Glad you're back!
Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #190
Blagadán
Kevin

Oddometer: 168
That video clip of your tour around the packard plant was awsome!

When I saw all those loose floorboards you were riding across, all I could think of was "i hope he doesnt pick up any nails or splinters in his tyres"!!! lol.

thanks for sharing that, excellent stuff.
Blagadán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #191
AJxr

Oddometer: 930
i was thinking the same about the tires! that video was sweet. alright i gotta get the fuck out of here.

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #192
trevhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
trevhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #193
heffa
Canyon Hillbilly

Oddometer: 1,008
Great video... love the pics of the terminal...

Well, Strip my gears and call me Shiftless...

She said, " Your a Flippin' Moron!"
heffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #194
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike92 View Post
LOL ! Glad you're back!
Never really left.

Just got sidetracked...

I blame the herb.....
Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #195
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
"I just wanted to get out of the city."-----no shit!

The ride through the Packard Plant was incredible. I kept waiting for
the droids and gangs to jump out. Too much "Escape from New York"
stuff I guess. What a crime. Perhaps the fall of Rome.

Bring it on, show us more. Good to see you're out and about.