User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #211
StonedMotion
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Your mama

Have really enjoyed you writing Alex. Looks LIKE A GREAT TALE. kEEP IT UP. Looking good on pics.

Juuust kidd'n They are perfect, ya don't haveta drag the bar across the screen to read the entire sentence it's all right there....Way gooder [/QUOTE]
StonedMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #212
Mike92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Are you waiting on that beer and doobie before you continue?
Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #213
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,742
Wink Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike92 View Post
Are you waiting on that beer and doobie before you continue?
He's sslleeeeep'n
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #214
AJxr

Oddometer: 930
all that adventure maybe tired him out? OR maybe he went on another ADVENTURE.

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #215
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
He's sslleeeeep'n
So true, so true

Been workin my ass off trying to get some funds together and get my bike ready for the next great adventure. Not that that's a good excuse...
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #216
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Up early the next morning, I broke camp and had coffee with the group. They were all apparently part of a church group and this was their yearly get together, known as Christmas in July. We chatted for a good portion of the morning. I scoped out their various camping arrangements, including a nifty tear drop trailer that I pondered over towing behind the KLR. I packed up in the late morning and prepared to head out when I was approached by the couple from the day before. They asked if it would be a bother if we got together for a group prayer before I left. This wasn't really my thing, but what's the harm? So we circled up and held hands and a prayer was said for my safety along the journey. I really loved seeing people being so caring to complete strangers. I'd grown up with the attitude thrust upon me that “People suck”, in an environment full of truly unhappy people. This was refreshing, and in a way what this whole adventure was about. I don't enjoy being cynical and expecting the worst from every situation and every person. So with that and a smile on my face I headed west, stopping just up the road to have my fill of a beef pasty and A&W.

Back on the highway, I didn't make it much further before I was stopped in my tracks by what appeared to be a full sized dinosaur made entirely of scrap metal. I pulled in to find an entire park filled with scrap metal art. Apparently this was one man's love, his hobby, and he wanted to share it with the world but the local government seemed to be giving him a lot of hassle. I think the pictures can tell the rest of the story. Some rather impressive work.

A local band practiced on a stage towards the back of the junkyard. The guy also had a snowmobile camp set up along one of the trails. It was odd. I thought I had a picture, but I can't find it. There was a giant steel elephant that you could climb into towards the back. There was a table inside with a bench on either side, and a food stash, Doritos and such, in the head of the elephant. Weird stuff. Cool weird, though. I left a few dollars in the donation box and headed out on my way.... after clam-baking a pachyderm.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #217
Mike92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
So......I wonder how the owner REALLY feels about that township guy.....LOL
Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #218
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Curiosity and Google led me to the conclusion that neither Mr. Lakenen not the Township are innocent in the battle for "LakenenLand"-the Township made some permitting errors and Mr. Lakenen seemed to be enjoying the "martyr" position too much to get up offa his ass and comply with the regulations, but I didn't follow it through to find out if there's been a resolution.

Either way, there's a bunch more cool sculptures there (80+, according to the website).

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #219
Nickywind
CurbJumper

Oddometer: 67
Camera

What kind of camera are you using? Great photos, especially the panoramics.
BMW G650GS Sertao
Nickywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #220
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickywind View Post
What kind of camera are you using? Great photos, especially the panoramics.
Just some POS point and shoot I bought off a buddy. I think I paid twenty bucks.

It's all in the technique... apparently. As far as the panos go, I use Autopano Giga and just be careful to leave lots of overlap between frames. The camera I was using at the time was cool because it had this continuous shot feature that was handy as hell to have. I just lined up the horizon, fired away and slowly rotated in place, then ran them through that program and fine tuned it a bit. It's just something to tinker with. I've gotten some cool results.

Parepin screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 11:00 PM
Old 05-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #221
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

North from here led me to Copper Harbor. Quite an epic ride. There are some great roads up here, and a lot of history. I took the opportunity to check out a few long abandoned copper mines and even managed to fit in a tour at a privately owned Copper mine, whose name I have completely forgotten. Camped out on some gnarly back woods road towards the tip of the peninsula after failing to reach the beach. It's here that I blew my rear shock, but wouldn't notice until many miles later. With side boxes as big as they were, I was just filling them right up and loading down the KLR with entirely too much weight. And so, I paid the price.

Leaving the woods the next morning, I came across what looked to be a vintage military jeep of some sort. I stopped alongside the owner and we chatted a bit. I was fully impressed with his ride, and he quite enjoyed taking a look at mine. He invited me back to his campsite to check out his buddies' rigs and I wasted no time accepting his offer. These were some impressive rigs, and I could see why these guys were out here with them. I forgot where they were from originally, but they all towed these 4X4s up here just to hit up the trails. Loads of fun. One of the jeeps was apparently cut in half, sold as scrap, and re-assembled by it's current owner. Had something to do with getting around the registering of ex military vehicles or some such nonsense. From there, I had a quite enjoyable ride south, up and over some mountainous terrain and back to the main land. I spent that night in a state run campground in the Porcupine Mountains, taking the time to do some creative 'rolling'. Skipped out before the collector could make his rounds in the morning. Come late, leave early, right?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #222
Mat Sub Zero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Nice Cross joint!! I never rolled one of those but I've rolled Turkey Claws & Rockets & of coarse Big Bamboo Cheech & Chong joints.
Mat Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #223
Tigerstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Journy On

Started at the beginning of your journey this morning. Love your WTF Gotta Check It Out agenda! You are also a damn fine Photographer.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #224
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Either way, there's a bunch more cool sculptures there (80+, according to the website).
I guessed the same.

Here is his website. More cool pics.
http://www.lakenenland.com/gallery.html

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #225
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

From here I cruised on through Wisconsin and into Minnesota. It's here that I realized something was up with the shock. The go go pogo action that I had been dealing with for the past several hundred miles just got tiresome after a while and at the next gas fill up I took the opportunity to do an inspection. Sure enough the entire back side of the bike was covered in oil. At my next meal I poured over my map and just kind of picked a city that looked to be a lazy week's ride away. Calling home, I had my mother pull my spare shock, with spring compressor all boxed up, and had it shipped out to Watford City, SD, to be held at the local post office for my pick up. That done, I had some time to kill and just kind of tooled around. I had two offers to hang out and one dinner invite in Northern Minnesota that night, but chose to continue on. Did some laundry and moved on west. I wish I could remember more details about the encounters. One guy I met in a BK who wanted to hang out after work, and a girl with her kids pulled in on me while I was having my regular toke break. We chatted a bit and smoke up before the dinner offer hit the table. I politely declined and chose to continue west.

I drifted on into South Dakota where I scoped out the worlds tallest TV antennae just outside of Mayville. Good stuff. I don't really know anything about it, but it's in red on my map. That's gotta mean something, right? This place really was the middle of nowhere. The daily temperature sky rocketed into the 90's easily and I took plenty of opportunities to soak up some shade whenever I could. At one point I even stumbled upon some long decomissioned missile silo. No shit. Try as I might, however, I could not find an entry point. Who knows what nonsense would have gone down had I found an unlocked hatch, and believe me, I was lookin for one.

I continued west along Lake Sakakawea. At one point, something on the horizon caught my eye. That's one HELL of a piece of machinery. I must have been a mile or more away from this thing and it just towered over everything around it, constantly chewing it's wormhole into the earth. At the next town, I asked around while I filled up for a place to camp. Several people gave me some suggestions, so I headed back towards the lake where I was able to snag a covered picnic area in a community camp ground. Nothing big happened, just took the opportunity to look over my bike and do some maintenance. Hung my hammock and just chilled for the evening.