Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #661
James1217
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I might have to read the whole thing again. Without a doubt, this is the best RR on the site. Can't wait for more!
James1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #662
SkeeFoo
DAV Life Member.

Oddometer: 5
Rootbeer run

Parepin,DUDE!
You got up in the piercing,relentless bitter coldness freezing your Cajones off,,gather wood,saw the wood,build a fire,and have hot coffee on,for the rest of the tribe,and they load out,and ride off?after your hospitality?Thats Bullshit,

T_Total BS!!!
SkeeFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #663
thorzite
Ok, Hold my beer ...

Oddometer: 95
good to see your still getting around ...

How's the steed runnin these days man ... ? good to see some updates from you !!! Have you talked to Ian lately ... guess I could f-book him ... be safe my man ... and have fun!
thorzite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #664
thorzite
Ok, Hold my beer ...

Slc

Salt Lake City - Utah my friend!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #665
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeFoo View Post
Parepin,DUDE!
You got up in the piercing,relentless bitter coldness freezing your Cajones off,,gather wood,saw the wood,build a fire,and have hot coffee on,for the rest of the tribe,and they load out,and ride off?after your hospitality?Thats Bullshit,

T_Total BS!!!
Hey now, it's all good, man. Like I said, different strokes for different folks. I guess I was dragging my feet a bit on that morning, as I've been known to do. By packing up, I think they were trying to get Adrian and I motivated. But after I lost my cool that morning, I told myself not to get all worked up and just kinda stopped caring about trying to keep the group together. Even when I picked up the pace the bad juju continued to flow, so I just stopped contributing bad vibes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorzite View Post
How's the steed runnin these days man ... ? good to see some updates from you !!! Have you talked to Ian lately ... guess I could f-book him ... be safe my man ... and have fun!
Hey man. I've been meaning to give you a holler, to check up on you guys and to see how the wife's doin.

The bike is... in a sorry state, indeed. It's in a perpetual state of repair, it would seem. I'm about to head out to the garage and wrench, probably well into the night.

Lets see... the valves need adjusting, there is a mystery rattle and associated power loss in the top end, a blown right fork, two shot and leaky radiator hoses, missing suspension hardware, loose subframe and shock hardware, a touchy electrical system, my luggage rack is jacked, the sideboxes need to be re-adjusted, and my carb needs to be cleaned up and re-seated. And that's just what's at the top of my list.

The truth of the matter is that the bike isn't going to last much longer. I'm retiring it from any remote touring, and am currently brain storming on my next rig. I'm leaning towards an older Tiger 800, but who's to say. All of that is so far down the line that I'm only daydreaming. My gear is toast, as a select few have already witnessed. My wallet's getting thinner by the day, and the hardware in my hip has been giving me some problems, leaving me to wake up unable to walk several times over the past few weeks. On top of it all, I'm in a battle with the state of California over a bogus speeding ticket I got, but have only recently discovered that they won't even talk to me unless they have cash in hand. Cash that I do not have. So I'm (realistically) looking at possibly doing some time just to have it all taken care of simply because... I don't have the cash. Can't get blood from a stone, right? And considering I've been living off of gas station burritos and sleeping on picnic benches, some time under the care of a foreign state might not be that bad.

So, things have been... interesting. Not bad, nor good, and I'm coming to a stage in THIS trip that I saw coming a long way off. The reality is just now starting to sink in and I find myself scouring for employment opportunities in the pacific northwest. I'm looking at picking up a cheap truck or van and living out of the back of it for a bit, but more than likely I'll be living in my tent in the woods until I can get my feet firmly planted somewhere along the way.

I have not forgotten about this, and have been writing here and there as I go along the way. There's a lot to write, but seeing as I haven't been doing it in any chronological order, it makes it time consuming to have any sort of finish work to throw up on here as of late. And I'm still trying to figure out what, and how, I'm going to say what needs to be said. My path has merged and diverged from so many others' along the way that sometimes I have trouble figuring out how exactly to stay true to myself, and to the story, without incriminating or offending anyone else that gets involved.

Rest assured, I'm still around. Still wandering, meeting people, and partying. Still spreading the word, and very much learning. These past few years have been amazing, and it makes for a damn good story. Who knows where this all might lead me, but for now I'm trying to stay patient and see how the path before me unfolds.

Also, did anyone happen to notice the new front page slideshow?

Parepin screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 10:28 PM
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #666
thorzite
Ok, Hold my beer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
Hey man. I've been meaning to give you a holler, to check up on you guys and to see how the wife's doin.
Great chattin with you tonight man ... interesting shit ... PM with Dan's info sent ... give him a call .. he'd love to hear from you! ... not that you'll have a choice, but be sure to say hi to Cindy as well ... she loves you ... be safe brother ... talk soon
Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #667
High Desert Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Naked on the front page, huh? That picture is sure getting around, isn' it?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #668
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 725
Good stuff this.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #669
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert Rider View Post
Naked on the front page, huh? That picture is sure getting around, isn' it?

I really don't know how these things happen...
Old 08-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #670
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Broke down and stranded - A habit in the making.

A direct copy and paste from the regionals forum. Because I'm lazy and stuff...

----------------------------------

Hey all. I'm gonna toss this up here because, well, I've no better ideas.

While crossing Schofield Pass on my way to Wyoming, Janis (my KLR) had a bit of a hiccup. While careening through a stream bed, something kicked loose and all sorts of vibrations were going on. She still ran and idled well, just a funny vibration. So I kept the RPMs low and tractored on. Well, as I was making my descent of on of the gnarlier hill climbs, alongside a beautiful waterfall and down through a narrow canyon, she stalled out. I pulled in the clutch, coasted to a stop, and tried to get her going again. Nothing.

Along comes a guy in a large pickup, Zack is his name, and he offers up his services. We load up Janis and all my gear and I get dropped off in the little town of Marble, the next closest "town of any size". Not much more than a BBQ joint and a few homes, most of the roads appear to be made of dirt and crushed stone. I speak with a few locals and I get hooked up with a shop for the night. And so I spend the better part of the evening tearing into Janis and find what I expected to find, my balancer chain all wadded up. Yes I've done the doo. It appears that a screw from my stator kicked loose and found its way into the gearing.

Anyway, the whole incident didn't seem that dramatic or intense, so I figured it was repairable. The next morning the owner of the shop, Matt, comes in and takes one look at the chain before getting to work. He straightened the bent link, tapped out the shattered pin, and installed a new one, peening both ends flat and making a half decent repair. I got the chain all back together, checked how it tracked my rotating the engine manually, then buttoned it all up. Hit the starter... nothing. There's air coming out of the airbox...

I pop the valve cover and see the cam chain is off by 90 degrees. Well.... fuck. I right everything and triple check it all. Still nothing when I stab the happy button. I've concluded that I've got bent valves. So I rolled Janis into the woods, piled a bunch of tires on it, and caught a ride with one of the locals to his home. Lee, his wife Melissa, and their son Zeeland, were awesome enough to invite me into their home for dinner and a place to stay. I've spent the evening going through my belongings and packing everything into a derelict back pack that I bought in Mexico for 150 pesos. I'll be catching a ride into the next town, Carbondale, or maybe Glenwood.

Anyway, this is where I'm at. I've got a couple hundred dollars to my name, and was actually on my way to the last rally I'd be attending for the season (Big Dog). I had plans on riding out to Colorado Springs in an attempt to find some work building homes or maybe just cleanup after the fires, but obviously that plan's been thrown out the window. The bike is totally repairable, I just need to get the funding together and get some kind of game plan going. This is where, I hope, the ADV community comes in. If anyone has a place where I could store the bike that is a little more secure and less remote, I'd appreciate it immensely.

In the mean time, I'm trying to get some sort of game plan together. I've a few options as I see it.

1. Fly back home to NY where I've got access to a loaner car and some temporary work at a local machine shop. I can built up the funds and fly back with a better game plan and take care of business. The thing that makes me iffy about this is that I've no idea how long it could take to get the funds together. I'd hate to fly back in October and find snow on the ground and in the mountains. I suppose I could stay in NY for the winter... but I'd REALLY rather not.

2. Take my last few pennies, rub them together with enough enthusiasm to 'get er done', and ride on towards Colorado Springs or California (where I've court to attend) with a pocket full of lint and not much more. I'm hoping to pull the head and replace the valves, but that will certainly require a machine shop. Either that, or I could just pick up a used head and bolt 'er on.

3. Abandon Janis to the elements, a sacrifice to the dirt gods, and move on. I'd be lying if I said that simply walking away hadn't occured to me. I could pack a back pack, throw my bed roll over my shoulder, and just walk down the road. Janis has been sickly lately, with numerous (dozens) of frame cracks, breaks, and failures that I've been needing to tend to nearly every week. The thing is, I've given the bike a name. A persona. I'm gonna have a hell of a time walking away.

Sorry to be long winded here. I'm in an unusual situation (for most people) and I'm having trouble formulating any kind of a plan. I'm doing my best to be patient and not jump to any drastic decisions. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears. You can get ahold of me on here or through my cell phone at 585-944-4413. The name's Alex by the way.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #671
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Damn, sounds like a big mess. If I was out there, I'd loan access to my garage, but alas, I'm on the east coast. I hope rubbing the pennies together along with the lint in your pocket does the trick and you get the answers results you need.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #672
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Man thats tuff luck. As harsh as it sounds but with the frame cracks etc would it not be better to part out the good bits to raise funds for a newer beast, would be my option if I couldnt find a cheap enough engine to drop in(as in really cheap)

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #673
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Alex, work the construction gig for a bit, make the needed engine repairs and then make a plan for the winter.

Probably be a good idea to look for a new frame and do a swap this winter, keep all the best parts and memories together. After the whole "split in half" incident, sounds like the frame is slowly trying to tell you something.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #674
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
Alex, work the construction gig for a bit, make the needed engine repairs and then make a plan for the winter.

Probably be a good idea to look for a new frame and do a swap this winter, keep all the best parts and memories together. After the whole "split in half" incident, sounds like the frame is slowly trying to tell you something.

It sounds like that's what I'll be going for. I'm at Thad's place now, just spreading my things out up in the loft of the storage barn. A bed, a roof, power, and a fridge. What more does one need? I should be starting work on Monday, and I'll tear back into Janis either tonight or tomorrow. She's parked below, and no longer hidden in the brush beneath a pile of tires.

Dude, Flashmo, where the fuck were you at the last few rallies? I kept an eye out...
Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #675
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post

Dude, Flashmo, where the fuck were you at the last few rallies? I kept an eye out...
I know. They all go on the calendar. Being self-employed, I either have the time, or the money...but never both at the same time it seems.

It's been KILLING me...
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote