Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #856
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I'd definitely chip in a little cash or some gear to keep you on the road. I've spent many hours AVOIDING "real life" on this thread. Let us know when you feel right about asking for donations and they will be inbound.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #857
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 629
Adv=avoidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
I'd definitely chip in a little cash or some gear to keep you on the road. I've spent many hours AVOIDING "real life" on this thread. Let us know when you feel right about asking for donations and they will be inbound.
ADV=AVOIDANCE+ALEX+JANIS

Yes, let's get this young man on the road again so we can avoid more of our lives and save him from going insane in NY this winter!

Cheers!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #858
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,660
Wink

If you two think he's EVER gonna feel right about asking............................................ .. You'll be waiting till yup... it freezes over!!!
Ya better just PM me and I'll send ya his addy and ya can paypal him...
Just offering this is gonna get an OFF with your head for me ya know.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #859
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 629
Jj

I know him all too well! He will not ever ask for a dime!
I had to make him take a few pieces of gear after he helped me move, and we hung out for a week. he has not yet offered your dead on a platter yet, give him time!
I'm just trying to let him KNOW that some of us are thinking of him as he recovers from having the metal removed his hip and leg!
I know he would be happier riding than recovering and going through PT but as we all know it takes time and patience, he has the time but I'm sure his patience flew out the window along time ago!
It's gonna take some time for Alex to get on the road,
we are waiting!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #860
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
Don't you go telling me what to do with my finances. You're not my real Dad.

I get what you're saying, though. And there's been others that have made that same point. I have a hard time making it right in my head, though. In reality, all I'm doing is fucking off and riding around, avoiding "Real Life". I can't have others pony up the cash for me to float by without something tangible to contribute. I may go this route at some point, and to be honest I almost did relatively recently, but when/if I do it will be in exchange for prints or some such. Signed, framed, all that jazz.

I've actually gotten quite a bit out of this whole experience, Not just the ride, but posting it on ADV and getting to meet so many like minded folks.
Dude, I have been living vicariously thru you and Jettn Jim, for the past while, completely absorbed in your ride reports, sending you some of my old gear is the least I can do. Peace Brutha
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #861
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,502
I will buy a signed print of this for $50.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #862
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post

I will pay $50 to have this expunged from my memory....

DaFoole screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 03:10 PM
DaFoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #863
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,568
That's one of my favorite photos....It has ADV all over it. Anyone that takes their motorcycle to the shower with them must have a real connection with the machine.

Alex I hope you are out riding again soon . . . .
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #864
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,086
I'm never going to live that down, am I?
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #865
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,519
Quote:
its your 15 minutes

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #866
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post
I will buy a signed print of this for $50.

What'll you pay for his video from my shower cam?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #867
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
.................... NOPE!

It's your... Forever. Hell man it's Historical!!!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #868
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
I hope this helps...

Quote:
Physically, I'm doing good. The crutches lasted a week, then I was using the cane for nearly another week. I've got some cramping, but very little pain. I was off any sort of hard core pain meds, short of Ibuprofen, by the second week. My sleep schedule is all sorts of fucked up, however.

Psychologically, I'm losing my fucking mind. An absolute train wreck. It's times like this that I realize how frail my psyche truly is. I'm not gonna unload it all here because.... well.... that's just not something that I do. Just be aware that I'm not where I want to be right now, in every meaning of the phrase.

Thanks for checkin in on me, fellas. And for keeping this thread alive. There's so much I've been meaning to get down and post. I've got plans, lots of plans, but just as many excuses (what else is new). Now that I find myself with a fair amount of free time, I've gone in and taken a whack here and there at adding some new content, and getting my old stuff more organized. Nothing feels right. The words don't flow, and my train of thought is shot. There WILL be more. I've said it before, and you can hold me to it. I'm a man of my word, if nothing else.
Dude. I just wanted to commiserate with you about recovery and wish you all the best. I really hope shareing my story will help you in some way, maybe just so you dont feel like your going this alone. Many others have been through similar and we all feel for you.
About three years ago I broke the shit out of my right knee and lower leg in a moto accident. I had a tibular plateau fracture as well as another break lower down. I had an external fixator for three weeks (basically drill four good sized pins into my leg bones at different locations then clamped them all to a rod, holding my leg straight while we waited for the swelling to dissipate). After the surgery to fix the breaks and install all the lovely titanium hard ware, as I was being wheeled to the recovery ward, I suddenly started to experience extreme pain. I tried to communicate with the nurse that something was wrong but I couldn't move or speak. I saw with startling clarity that my field of vision was shrinking with each heart beat, the pain was worse than anything I had ever felt. This was it. I was dying. My vision thumped shut with my last heart beat and I died. There was nothing. I was revived nearly two minutes later with electric stimulation. Let me tell you, a thing like that can really fuck with you. I literally did not sleep for a week after for fear that I would stop breathing again. I was a mess.
I was ordered to be non weight bearing for three months and it was a year before I was back to work. This is the hardest part, going from working or playing or just DOING stuff all the time to nothing. It tears at you psyche, your sense of self worth, everything. Looking back now I can see that this was a huge shifting point in my life. It was terrible at the time but I came out the other side a more humble and grateful person. My appreciation for all the good things in my life was focused by the lens of this accident.
The whole experience really showed me who I was and how much my self esteem was tied to my work and activities. I determined to separate my sense of self from my work and play (ie selfish focus) and try to base it more on my actions, my integrity and compassion for others, all things I needed to work on. Being laid up for weeks on end gives you a lot of time for self analysis.
The three years since my accident have been the best of my life. I have worked hard to become a better person, and although it is a work in progress, at least I'm working on it and that makes me feel good. As an bonus, tho I have tried to put family and enjoying life higher on my priority list, my attitude has made me a much better carpenter than I had been before. I have always been proud of my work but now I take pride in my craft, my interactions with customers, my communication with my boss and my responsibility to uphold our company image. Know what I mean? The whole package. Have you ever read The Four Agreements? If you haven't, now is a good time. Don't worry, its short and to the point. Anyway, I know that this is a long bunch of blab about me on your ride report but I hoped you could get something out of my similar experience.
One thing I would recommend that really helped me was to make stuff while you are laid up. I got a cheap Harbor Freight wood lathe and started making shit. Hair sticks, chop sticks, gauge ear ring/plugs, wooden spoon etc. I had high hopes of selling this stuff at the local saturday market but it didn't really sell so I ended up giving it all away as gifts, even better! My point is it gave me focus and something to keep me from getting too far into my own head.
I hope some of my chatter helps you in some way, keep your chin up, don't worry, it does get better.

jessepitt screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 09:07 PM
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #869
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Ps

As a Brief P.S to my ramble above I have another word of caution.
I am sitting here at home writing this on a sunny Thursday when I should be at work. I did not choose to stay home, I am suffering two bulged disks in my neck and the pinched nerves that accompany them. This is a result of my accident but it has taken this long to manifest. My damaged right leg is nearly a half inch shorter than my left I just found out, and this caused my hips to cock at an angle to compensate. That led to my lower back tweaking the other way and then my neck the other way again to keep my head straight! Now I have lower back problems as well as the newly bulged disks. This is all a result of me ignoreing the whole mess for too long because I was sick of it.
Moral of the story: pay attention to your body, a niggling pain somewhere could be an indication of bigger problems elsewhere. Stay on the PT and communicate any oddities to your Doc and P-therapist.

End Hi-jack.

jessepitt screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 04:54 PM
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #870
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blagadán View Post
Excellent thread. This is one of the best RR's on adv in my opinion. No fancy equipment, livin it real and tellin it like it is, and all backed up with some excellent photos!! Well done and please.... keep going, we're all hooked!

I especially like that last campsite you found.
Your right,there is only one other thread that competes with it,and that is Jettn Jims.
And now they have teamed up,so everyone elses threads are pretty much screwed !!! LOL
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote