User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #871
rust
No rust in AZ.

Oddometer: 36
Welcome back Fish head?

Welcome back Fish head? (don't even know how to install a smiley,pretty fuckin sad,huh?)
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #872
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Dude. I just wanted to commiserate with you about recovery and wish you all the best. I really hope shareing my story will help you in some way, maybe just so you dont feel like your going this alone. Many others have been through similar and we all feel for you.
About there years ago I broke the shit out of my right knee and lower leg in a moto accident. I had a tibular plateau fracture as well as another break lower down. I had an external fixator for three weeks (basically drill four good sized pins into my leg bones at different locations then clamped them all to a rod, holding my leg straight while we waited for the swelling to dissipate). After the surgery to fix the breaks and install all the lovely titanium hard ware, as I was being wheeled to the recovery ward, I suddenly started to experience extreme pain. I tried to communicate with the nurse that something was wrong but I couldn't move or speak. I saw with startling clarity that my field of vision was shrinking with each heart beat, the pain was worse than anything I had ever felt. This was it. I was dying. My vision thumped shut with my last heart beat and I died. There was nothing. I was revived nearly two minutes later with electric stimulation. Let me tell you, a thing like that can really fuck with you. I literally did not sleep for a week after for fear that I would stop breathing again. I was a mess.
I was ordered to be non weight bearing for three months and it was a year before I was back to work. This is the hardest part, going from working or playing or just DOING stuff all the time to nothing. It tears at you psyche, your sense of self worth, everything. Looking back now I can see that this was a huge shifting point in my life. It was terrible at the time but I came out the other side a more humble and grateful person. My appreciation for all the good things in my life was focused by the lens of this accident.
The whole experience really showed me who I was and how much my self esteem was tied to my work and activities. I determined to separate my sense of self from my work and play (ie selfish focus) and try to base it more on my actions, my integrity and compassion for others, all things I needed to work on. Being laid up for weeks on end gives you a lot of time for self analysis.
The three years since my accident have been the best of my life. I have worked hard to become a better person, and although it is a work in progress, at least I'm working on it and that makes me feel good. As an bonus, tho I have tried to put family and enjoying life higher on my priority list, my attitude has made me a much better carpenter than I had been before. I have always been proud of my work but now I take pride in my craft, my interactions with customers, my communication with my boss and my responsibility to uphold our company image. Know what I mean? The whole package. Have you ever read The Four Agreements? If you haven't, now is a good time. Don't worry, its short and to the point. Anyway, I know that this is a long bunch of blab about me on your ride report but I hoped you could get something out of my similar experience.
One thing I would recommend that really helped me was to make stuff while you are laid up. I got a cheap Harbor Freight wood lathe and started making shit. Hair sticks, chop sticks, gauge ear ring/plugs, wooden spoon etc. I had high hopes of selling this stuff at the local saturday market but it didn't really sell so I ended up giving it all away as gifts, even better! My point is it gave me focus and something to keep me from getting too far into my own head.
I hope some of my chatter helps you in some way, keep your chin up, don't worry, it does get better.
Thanks for the feedback, JP. This is really something that I needed to hear, although what I've gone through seems to be nothing compared to your tale of bloodshed and mangled metal. I'm kinda intrigued about your death. Not many people have that story. It sounds like this is the moment that you divide your life by. There's only before this moment, and after. And no doubt they bare some striking differences.

I will agree that by far the hardest thing to overcome was the downtime. The pain can be managed, the atrophy can be numbed, and you can adapt to limited motion. But the down time, my god. Especially going from touring every day for well over a year, to not leaving the house (or this 6'X12' bedroom) for days on end, complete polar opposites. The winters around here have always put me in a funk, and this year was no different. That's one of the main reasons I bailed over the winter of 2011-2012. I've always had anxiety issues, passed down from my old man, and the winter just compounds it to the point that I'm talking to myself almost entirely in expletives, my sleep schedule is fucked, and finally night terrors that often leave a wake of no sleep for days. I've been able to self medicate and work through it by staying busy as much as I can. When I'm working, I work overtime then take on projects on my own time. Through the winter, during layoff, I did what my wallet would allow. I've rebuilt motorcycles, projects around the house, and even grew a bit of herb over one particularly long upstate winter. I use to do a bit of chain maille as well, and it's something I'd considered getting a travel kit going. Just a couple of pair of pliers and some wire. I might even be able to sell some for gas money along the way, but more than anything, it keeps my hands busy.

Unfortunately, this time around, I had virtually no funding on hand. What I did have went to bills and co-pays. I even returned a car full of soda cans to get a haircut. Sad.... BUT, I've since gotten my Tax Refund (last week) and have gotten back into a few projects around the house. My mother is trying to sell the place and there's a lot that can be done to make it a bit more appealing.

Ahh, The Four Agreements. Jettin Jim set me on that path, and I have read it. A few times, actually. I've also moved into some of Ruiz's other books. I like the thought that went into it, the guidelines, the introspective moments, but I don't take it literally. Staying positive, absolutely. Radiating energies, I see it. Having confidence in your subconscious, intuition, and instinct is something I truly find fascinating, over the domestication of modern day. But when he starts to get into beings beyond our realm of perception feeding on our energies and influencing us, I kinda get lost. But then again, maybe I'm just interpreting it a bit too literally. Jettin Jim has actually been a HUGE influence on me as far as this goes. When we hang out and socialize in public, I tend to drop back and observe. The guy has picked up on energy and emotions that I glazed right over. His observations and instinct is more often than not spot on. The guy radiates A-LOT of energy, and I've witnessed first hand how he interacts with others. I've often called him an "amplifier" because that is very much what he is. If you're positive and enthusiastic around him, he's an endless fountain of positive vibes. But you put one miserable person in the room, I've seen it bring him down to the point of having to walk away, and he then very much has that effect on others. It's truly fascinating.

This has been on my windscreen up until I broke said, "indestructable lexan", windscreen. It's directly in my line of vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust View Post
Welcome back Fish head? (don't even know how to install a smiley,pretty fuckin sad,huh?)
I've been called many things. A fish head has not been one of them. Interesting. Smiley's are overrated, anyway. I never use them.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #873
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
As a Brief P.S to my ramble above I have another word of caution.
I am sitting here at home writing this on a sunny Thursday when I should be at work. I did not choose to stay home, I am suffering two bulged disks in my neck and the pinched nerves that accompany them. This is a result of my accident but it has taken this long to manifest. My damaged right leg is nearly a half inch shorter than my left I just found out, and this caused my hips to cock at an angle to compensate. That led to my lower back tweaking the other way and then my neck the other way again to keep my head straight! Now I have lower back problems as well as the newly bulged disks. This is all a result of me ignoreing the whole mess for too long because I was sick of it.
Moral of the story: pay attention to your body, a niggling pain somewhere could be an indication of bigger problems elsewhere. Stay on the PT and communicate any oddities to your Doc and P-therapist.

End Hi-jack.
Sweet Jebus. Alright, you win. Talk to me in a few years when I've got a chrome knee and a PVC hip. And no worries about the hijack, any activity in this thread is better than none. It actually help to keep me active and working towards more stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Your right,there is only one other thread that competes with it,and that is Jettn Jims.
And now they have teamed up,so everyone elses threads are pretty much screwed !!! LOL
This helps, too. I already wear a XXL helmet, man, my head can't get much bigger without becoming a logistical issue.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #874
rust
No rust in AZ.

Sorry Alex.

Sorry Fish Head, Dickweed was taken by me & Snake Breath is
reserved for another someday. It's fucking pouring rain today &
cold, I'm glad we moved the Harley rental to next Friday. I'll bet
DaFoole is getting wet somewhere. : clap Yeah!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #875
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Dick smack and juice arse are two of my favourites names.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #876
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
I hear you when you say you aren't feeling the whole higher energies and cosmic forces thing. I try to keep up on JJ's report too and while i love his philosophy and energy, I also try to keep my pondering a little more on this planet. (no offense JJ).I am a firm believer in karma but in a real sense; in that you give what you get and if you are a nice person and treat people well they will tend to treat you the same, not like karma is a celestial fund that you add to by good deeds. Different strokes for different folks, and as long as your working on it, your all good.
I think Jim is another one who's life has a before and after.
I'm glad you are already ahead of me with the four agreements and related text, they are very helpful but not an exact guide for every-one's life. It should be taken as one among many intelligent and accurate thoughts.
You are an intelligent person and this helps you make your life happen on your terms, but sometimes being smart and thinking too much can get you in trouble emotionally. I hope you get back onto your track with as little trouble as possible.
Your chain mail is rad. You could sell that all day long at festivals. (the west coast has a million great hippie/folk festivals all summer long that are a great place to meet interesting folks. Let me know if you make it out to the wet coast and I will tell you my favorites.

On the subject of my ongoing complications: I did not bring this up to parade my injuries. They are nothing to be proud of. I just wish that someone had warned me when I was in your position how much my injuries could effect the rest of my body and what I could do to avoid that. I didn't have insurance at the time of the accident so I could not afford physical therapy. I wish now that I had made this my top priority when funding allowed. I'm doing PT now three years later but it would have been vastly more effective several years ago. You do manual labor, remember that proper lifting to avoid lower back injuries means bending your knees and lifting with your (broken) leg. The only way your going to pull this off is to strengthen your legs again with the help of a PT. Even a couple sessions to get you pointed in the right direction are worth it.
Sadly I am only 32 years old and can't run or carry a pack due to my injury. I will get better but it will take a lot longer than necessary because I didn't keep up with the PT.

Sorry, I'm not really a short post person.

jessepitt screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 09:02 PM
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #877
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,641
No offense taken jessepit... but I never saw the mountains, until I quit staring at my feet.
I hope your rehab goes well and that you integrate you mind, soul and body for full healing... it truly took me that realization to fully recover. Otherwise I just flailed.

Peace,
JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Your right,there is only one other thread that competes with it,and that is Jettn Jims.
And now they have teamed up,so everyone elses threads are pretty much screwed !!! LOL
Hahaha ooh boy... Thanx for the shot of feel goodness man!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #878
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Crap man, I just found this RR three days ago and have been glued to it ever since. You have gotten me in trouble at work, with my poker buddys on Friday night, reading it at the table and just now with my wife for being on the computer and reading this instead of phuckin around with cleaning my side of the closet. Thanks so much for sharing your travels.

If you ever make it near Boise Idaho, let me know and u can crazh in my spare room and I'll take you riding on some absolutely beautiful trails, get ya drunk as all hell and smoke my "Stop Leak" with ya. Best ride report ever, and I hope everything works out for ya and that you get back on the road soon.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #879
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
No offense taken jessepit... but I never saw the mountains, until I quit staring at my feet.
I hope your rehab goes well and that you integrate you mind, soul and body for full healing... it truly took me that realization to fully recover. Otherwise I just flailed.

Peace,
JJ

Hahaha ooh boy... Thanx for the shot of feel goodness man!

I have a beautiful view of the mountains right out my front window, I'm watching the sun rise hit them as I type this. I look at my feet regularly also, as they carry me everywhere I go. Dont worry Jim, I'm all in on this one, soul include. Forget pride, forget arrogance, the only way to learn and grow is through humbleness and experience. Travel, meet people and try to understand their perspective without judgement. That is the best way I have found and you have too obviously.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #880
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Quote:
I have a beautiful view of the mountains right out my front window, I'm watching the sun rise hit them as I type this. I look at my feet regularly also, as they carry me everywhere I go. Dont worry Jim, I'm all in on this one, soul include. Forget pride, forget arrogance, the only way to learn and grow is through humbleness and experience. Travel, meet people and try to understand their perspective without judgement. That is the best way I have found and you have too obviously.
Aum...en to that brother.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #881
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking Hmmmmm Donations to the Filthy Nomad......

Ok it has come to my attention that a few of us inmates here would like to shoot some... Money, Dineros, Greenbacks, Clams, Cabbage, Bread, Loot, Mula, Scratch, Dough... (you get my point) over to Alex aka"Parepin" to keep his MISSadventure rolling. (NOTE: The kid would never ask for a penny and sooo... some of us have decided to sing on the street corner -so to speak- for him) He can't turn down a gift.. that would be rude dude!

Rust and DaFoole as well as others via PM, have been in cohorts with me (pressuring me with threats of bodily/mental harm if I don't get something posted up... as they'd like to chip in!!!

Sooo here it is........ We have already got him a new IMS tank and a new lid to protect his... Bean? You know that thing he seems to use every once n' a while to put the camera up to and report on his adventures. I'm working with a manufacturer now (KLIM) to get him some new riding gear at a discount, also.

So I spose if ya wanna... contribute to the cause, feel good about yourself , help a kid out, keep the energy flowing ooor just offload some of that extra $$$$ that's is Nooo doubt weighing you down.
You can PM me for a PayPal addy and we'll put it in the Jar. I'll post up where it's all going and keep everyone up to speed on the sitchiation. We were gonna have Janis's engine freshened up for him while he was healing from surgery, buuut ran outta time, (thought of it too late) as he seems to be ready to ride again and the time frame/window wasn't going to line up.

Thanx for... anything!
Peace,
Jim

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 09:01 PM
Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #882
Minus1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Ok it has come to my attention that a few of us inmates here would like to shoot some... Money, Dineros, Greenbacks, Clams, Cabbage, Bread, Loot, Mula, Scratch, Dough... (you get my point) over to Alex aka"Parepin" to keep his MISSadventure rolling. (NOTE: The kid would never ask for a penny and sooo... some of us have decided to sing on the street corner -so to speak- for him) He can't turn down a gift.. that would be rude dude!

Rust and DaFoole as well as others via PM, have been in cohorts with me (pressuring me with threats of bodily/mental harm if I don't get something posted up... as they'd like to chip in!!!

Sooo here it is........ We have already got him a new IMS tank and a new lid to protect his... Bean? You know that thing he seems to use every once n' a while to put the camera up to and report on his adventures. I'm working with a manufacturer now (KLIM) to get him some new riding gear at a discount, also.

So I spose if ya wanna... contribute to the cause, feel good about yourself , help a kid out, keep the energy flowing ooor just offload some of that extra $$$$ that's is Nooo doubt weighing you down.
You can PM me for a PayPal addy and we'll put it in the Jar. I'll post up where it's all going and keep everyone up to speed on the sitchiation. We were gonna have Janis's engine freshened up for him while he was healing from surgery, buuut ran outta time, (thought of it too late) as he seems to be ready to ride again and the time frame/window wasn't going to line up.

Thanx for... anything!
Peace,
JIm

Hey Jim.....Great idea I have a couple half helmets I could post in the Flee Market and all the mooney would be donated.

Minus1 screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 05:35 PM
Minus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #883
rust
No rust in AZ.

Lid arrived.

The new lid came yesterday,good choice (makes mine look like it came from toys r us). I'll be standin on the exit ramp all weekend with my cardboard sign and I'll pm ya with the results. Good job JJ.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #884
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb WoooHooo.... First donation is here from AK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust View Post
The new lid came yesterday,good choice (makes mine look like it came from toys r us). I'll be standin on the exit ramp all weekend with my cardboard sign and I'll pm ya with the results. Good job JJ.
Great the Revzilla folks don't piss around with shipping!
GaryAK and his wonderful wife Deb have jumped onboard with a nice gift for TFN...
Thank you folks, we'll keep ya posted on all the progress.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #885
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus1 View Post
Hey Jim.....Great idea I have a couple half helmets I could post in the Flee Market and all the mooney would be donated.
Hey Thanx Eric that would be GREAT!!!