ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #46
oremike OP
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,359
Not to worry, it was 67 over there today

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #47
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike View Post
Not to worry, it was 67 over there today
Are you figuring on getting there on Friday, the 18th, around dinner time, just in time to set up camp?
Or are you an early type, and plan to get there early enough to RIDE on Friday?

And oremike, are you really sure you still want to stay at something called "Wildcat" campgound,
after all the warnings in that "Early Birds" thread?
And G-Funk lost his dog in the Ochocos a couple of years ago, so bring the Beagle-leash.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolburner View Post
Once I put my KLX back together, I'll head out there and take photos so you don't have to be skeered...
Petrolburner, the FS website says that this Wildcat campground is still closed this time of year.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
and open the bathroom, put the handle back on the pump, unlock the gate, turn on the fire pits,open the valves to start the creek, set-up the overhead projector (stars), inflate the picnic tables,plant new garbage cans, and all that campgroundy stuff,,
I don't think they're closed,, just not open,,
So please find out for us: Is it really closed, as in unaccessable, blocked by a gate or cable?
Or just "kinda" closed, without fee collectors and water and garbage cans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
.......that all could be doable for me. So put me on the fence.

G.
Ladybug says that sitting on the fence will just put splinters in yer ass.
Better to just commit to it, G.....and I'll look foward to meeting you
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)

Apple Jam screwed with this post 03-07-2011 at 10:40 PM
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #48
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Wildcat in March........camping??

All I can say is WOW.

I live in Madras and was riding yesterday. High of 48, snow on in a lot of the shaded areas. By the way Madras is much lower than Wildcat. I was gone for one hour and it took 45 minutes to wash all the mud (clay) off the bike when I got home. Was near going down numerous times because of the snotty mud.

Can I recommend, as someone else has, Prineville State park or any of the campgrounds along the Crooked River below Bowman Dam. If you camp along the river you'll have excellent access to riding including Millican.

The Ochoco's will be snowed in, absolutely no access above about 3500 feet. That means no connection from Trout Creek.

Trout Creek isn't usually crossable until May. There are 6 crossings in about 4 miles.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, or ride, but just giving local advise.

I'll keep watching here, I've got Monday's off so if you're camping somewhere........reasonable, I might come over for a day ride.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #49
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post

All I can say is WOW.

........ Can I recommend, as someone else has, Prineville State park or any of the campgrounds along the Crooked River below Bowman Dam. If you camp along the river you'll have excellent access to riding including Millican.
No State Parks for THIS country boy, never again. It's like camping in a fookin' city. Not gonna happen.

Quote:
The Ochoco's will be snowed in, absolutely no access above about 3500 feet.......
......Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, or ride, but just giving local advise.
We're shooting for optimism here, in the absense of actual proof....
I think that YOU and Petrolburner owe it to US, to get to get together for a riding/reconnaissance mission
Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #50
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
Mud and snow are guaranteed. I'm just hoping for reasonable temperatures. If someone would be so kind as to mark a few places on a google map for me so I know where to recon I will be happy to go out and get pics. I moved here in November and have never been deeper into the Ochocos than Skull Hollow.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #51
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Bluhduh

Just tried to ride to Wildcat on Sunday morning. A fair amount of snow on the road at 3600' elevation. I turned back about a mile from the campground as my Strom is a dismal snow vehicle.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #52
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
Is that off Wildcat mountain road and fs road 350?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #53
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Well, hell, you're gonna make me go find a a map?? East of Pruneville a ways, to Ochoco Res, then left on Mill Creek road.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #54
oremike OP
Motorcyclest

I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. I haven't been in the area since I was a kid rock collecting with my parents. We have another week and a half so hopefully more snow melts. I'd like to still go for it. South of Prineville is Chimney Rock campground could you locals tell me if that's a good second choice for camping and if there is good dual sporting around there?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #55
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Chimney Rock or any of the other 4 campgrounds along the Crooked River are much better choices than Wildcat. They are basic campgrounds with just pit toilets and some have a water pump. If a site was picked that had early morning sun, that would be best. All those camp sites are down in the canyon so you lose afternoon sun early. I've camped there several times.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #56
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike View Post
I'd like to still go for it. South of Prineville is Chimney Rock campground could you locals tell me if that's a good second choice for camping and if there is good dual sporting around there?
I'm still in,
I don't care which campground, as long as it's not one of the State Parks with Motorhome Sites by a highway or road.
Any primitive Campground will do, or NO Campground somewhere in the National Forest by a creek sounds even better.
I have my NW Forest Pass with a sticker for my bike.

By the Crooked River sounds fine, if it's away from the road a bit.
You pick a quiet spot, and I'll show.

Even if it's gonna be exceptionally shitty and I gotta trailer in for a drier and warmer place to sleep.
What the hell.....the trailer is an enclosed 6x12, and I can tow it with the cargo van for even more places to sleep,
with plenty of room for another Adventurer or two that might want to avoid a tent in crappy weather.

But I'd really rather ride & tent it there, if it's going to be anything close to NOT shitty weather.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #57
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,995
take a look at Big Summit work camp/campground on Ochoco creek rd. I think it's a bit lower,,but maybe not. There's a ranger work station there, but there is a small campground off in the back,,fish in the creek, lots of riding in all directions. Make a loop north, and come down the wildcat side, or the back way to Mitchell, or,, or,, or,,,
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #58
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:

All I can say is WOW.

I live in Madras and was riding yesterday. High of 48, snow on in a lot of the shaded areas. By the way Madras is much lower than Wildcat. I was gone for one hour and it took 45 minutes to wash all the mud (clay) off the bike when I got home. Was near going down numerous times because of the snotty mud.

Can I recommend, as someone else has, Prineville State park or any of the campgrounds along the Crooked River below Bowman Dam. If you camp along the river you'll have excellent access to riding including Millican.

The Ochoco's will be snowed in, absolutely no access above about 3500 feet. That means no connection from Trout Creek.

Trout Creek isn't usually crossable until May. There are 6 crossings in about 4 miles.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, or ride, but just giving local advise.

I'll keep watching here, I've got Monday's off so if you're camping somewhere........reasonable, I might come over for a day ride.
MadChap is right on...

Anything to the north and NE of town will either be snowed in still or extremely wet. Best bet would be to camp along the Crooked River. You will have access to a lot of different riding options right from camp to the south and SE.
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #59
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,033
...and depending on when you guys are here I can show you some of my favorite trails...
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #60
oremike OP
Motorcyclest

I'd like to wait until after the weekend before changing campgrounds. Could one of you locals check it out over the weekend? Would Ochoco divide be still snow covered? That's another way into the mining area I want to explore. If it's too snowy then I'll camp on the crooked river and ride out that way.