Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #31
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Is there a good Bultaco book? One that explains all the model differences?
The only english one I know is Haynes Nr. 219:

But covers only models from 1972 to 1975.

There should be original shop repair manuals for some models in
Spanish available, but used or as copy's they are $$$.

There was a German Bultaco repair manual also available,
printed in Switzerland, I have one, good, it's based on the Hanyes
but covers models from 1972 up to 1977/78.

For my model 199b which was only build in small numbers there do
not even exist any parts book either, in cases like this or
similar best way IMHO is to ask former Bultaco dealer or importer,
that is what I did because in some cases I could not get
any information:

- Orlando Calonder CH,
- Dave Ranham from BultacoUK GB,
- Hemut Pfahler D,
PSchrauber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #32
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
the clymer manual is significantly better than the haynes...... i use both, each have their own bits of information.

cylmer manual:
ebay #
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #33
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Hugh's has a ID chart, not exactly what you're looking for, but you can learn a few things looking around his site.

I went to his Museum a few years back, brand new bikes, some still in crates, restored bikes, lots to look at.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #34
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
there's this one : here

and this one is the best - a friend has a copy i've perused a couple of times, i gotta get a copy eventually. it has all the technical data in the back....

this is good for model id - has pics
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #35
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
there's this one : here

and this one is the best - a friend has a copy i've perused a couple of times, i gotta get a copy eventually. it has all the technical data in the back....

this is good for model id - has pics

Yes yes the Francesco Herreros book is extremly good, it's also in german availalble.

The Swiss repair book with a lot of explosion drawings and pic's:

Good ressource the French Trial Magazine (also in English available) and of course Trial Classic, (only in French):

Best ressource so far IMHO are old issues of Trialsport, from 1977 - 1982 where these bikes where tested discussed and improvements where made, but they are very rare:

Good are parts books to the right model, you get them in Spain:

Which is important to get the right parts:

Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #36
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
thanks! I'll see what Amazon has and do some reading before I go looking for a bike. I appreciate it.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #37
tenorjazz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
The Parts Books and Service Manuals from Hughs Bultaco are very good, I'm doing my whole rebuild from these. They also have a lot of other books and things.

http://bultaco.com/Manuals.htm

05' BMW R1200GS - If you can only afford one bike...
06' VStrom 650 - Fond memories (gone)
06' Suzuki DRZ400 - Wish I could afford two bikes (gone)

=================================

S.O. Bikes
07' VStrom 650 ABS (Silver)
05' VStrom 650 (Red) - Sold to get one with ABS
tenorjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #38
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenorjazz View Post
Hey all... I'm in the middle of restoring a mid 60's Bultaco Matador. Using the serial number the bikes been dated from 1964 to 1966, sure would be cool to really know how old it is.

My short term plan is to try and get this bike ready to ride vintage trials this coming summer. The bike actually belongs to a friend of mine, but since I'm building it for him, he said I could ride it for the next couple of years, if I wanted.

I'll try to get some pictures up as I get a little further along on this project

I have another 65' Matador in pieces, that I own, and hope to put it together when I get done with this one. That one I hope to do some trail riding with and maybe use it as my vintage dual sport bike.

Anyway this is my first ever attempt at restoring a motorcycle. I have most of the pieces and the motor was put together, but I had to open it up and clean it out because the main bearings were frozen. My plan is to take every last nut and bolt off, clean, powder coat, paint and polish and repair everything that is broken.

I got the motor completely apart, replaced the bearings, seals, gaskets and so on. Got everything all nice and clean and put it back together... Now it doesn't shift. Actually I don't know if it ever shifted, because it was frozen, but now when I push down or lift up the shifter, it feels like its shifting, but it's not. With the case open I was able to make everything work by hand, but when I put the case together the "wishbone" doesn't seem to turn the shifting wheel inside. Is there anybody out there that knows what I am talking about and might give me some ideas as to what is going on?
Hi Tenorjazz,
4 speed Bultaco’s are interesting beasts. The bikes are crudely built with water pipe frame tubes and hand made parts that are literally hammered to fit in a dirt floored factory. The bikes handle amazingly well and are tough as nails. Bultaco made many changes to the clutch assemblies and I have seen at least 3 different versions of clutch’s, all the 4 speed bike have a woodruff key holding the inner clutch hub to the transmission shaft and alternating cork and metal plates. The clutch’s seem impervious to wear and work just fine on the low horsepower motors even when completely worn out. Removing the burs from the plates and inner clutch hub tangs help with smoother operation. The 175cc model 13 motor I raced all last year in my Sherpa S was bought off eBay for $85.00. I changed the primary chain and crankshaft seal and that’s it. I am retiring the motor in favor of a Matador 250cc motor for this next season. The crankshaft assembly is the heart of any two stroke and I would suggest that the “rod kit” as installed in your project should last a good long time in a trials bike. It felt just fine when I examined it. The bike you are building is special. The frame has been heavily modified by Herb (an ex Bultaco semi factory rider) to work better for trials. There are changes to things like the forks and wheels that are outrageous and I hope you appreciate how trick the bike is going to be. I am thrilled you have taken on this project because I have way to many myself and am really happy to see that the bike is going to be used in competition as per Herbs request. See you at the trials!
Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #39
tenorjazz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Dave,

I was wondering if you have been "lurking" around this thread.

It's an amazing opportunity that you have provided me with a bike to learn how to build and ride. I know you are as interested in seeing how the modifications on this bike affect it's performance as I am in building and riding it.

I got the replacement piston ring yesterday, but between the weather being so cold, the limited capacity of heating my shop and having a cold, I probably won't get back to work till later this week. I figure that with cleaning up and installing the rest of the parts, including figuring out what to do with the magneto and carburetor I have a few days left on the motor.

After that I would like to get that "test frame" set up to test the motor. Originally we had talked about cutting up that other Matador frame, but I'm either going to build something from scratch or hook the frame to some kind of stand. I figure when I get done with this bike and my bike, we might be able to use the frame and left over parts to build another. By the third bike, I might have this process figured out and it might be pretty nice

Until I get back to my build I thought I would post some pictures I found while surfing around the web.

S.O. Bikes
Old 02-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #40
Dreamdaddy
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Matador

Hey there,

My brother and I had a '67 Bultaco Matador. I remember when my brother first brought it home. Later on he repainted it from red/black to black/yellow and put a accessory Bultaco expansion chamber on it. It was a strange pipe in that it didn't have a stinger and it had metal bumps (weld bumps) inside to act as a baffling method. I was not impressed with the bike as I felt it was under-powered, but it looked real cool!
Dreamdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #41
tenorjazz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's a couple of videos of Dave riding his Trials Bike:

S.O. Bikes

tenorjazz screwed with this post 02-26-2011 at 02:14 PM
Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #42
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

My personal No. 1 street Bultaco, F A N T A S T I C color scheme!

Quote:

Only OK to mint, seat doesent fit, gaps, no logos, ...

Quote:

No. 2 street Bultaco, because the color scheme shown in first pic is better!

Quote:

Nice but not first when it come to Bultaco cirt-bikes:

[/QUOTE]

Bultaco Sherpa Kit Campion A model 80 I believe this is my personal No. 2 of the dirt-bike's from Bultaco, a real beauty.

Quote:

Also nice a little earlier or may be aSherpa model 80 too, but without the Kit Campion", I'am not so keen on the early ones. A nice bike but not number 1 somewhere between 5 to 3.

Sadly my personal No. 1 is missing the 198b or 199b, (first series build only in 1981 not the later ones that where assembled using the left over spare parts after the bankrupty of Bultaco)

This is the only bike IMHO that can wear the blue white color scheme, sadly the lamp mask is missing and the rear shock is something else then original. Here is one with a lot of scratches but in original used status:

Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #43
tenorjazz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
color scheme shown in first pic is better
Quote:
Also nice a little earlier or may be aSherpa model 80 too, but without the Kit Campion", I'am not so keen on the early ones. A nice bike but not number 1 somewhere between 5 to 3.
Quote:
sadly the lamp mask is missing and the rear shock is something else then original
It's interesting to read PSchrauber's comments about the various bikes pictured here, but I don't understand the comment: "not number 1 somewhere between 5 to 3".

It makes me wonder what other opinions are about restoration or rebuild projects in general.

S.O. Bikes
Old 02-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #44
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
It's interesting to read PSchrauber's comments about the various bikes pictured here, but I don't understand the comment: "not number 1 somewhere between 5 to 3".

It makes me wonder what other opinions are about restoration or rebuild projects in general.

There are marks for restauration, but the marks I submitted where more personal. (*)

With somewhere between 3 and 5, I only wnted to express it's not my personal number 1 not even number 2 depending the dirt bikes Bultaco made. In my personal order it comes between 3 and five. There are others that a

Or in my personal view dirt bikes Bultaco:

#01 model 199b amd 198b
#02 model 80 with kit campion
... the other Dirt Bike Bultaco is somewhere here

I probaly have a certain connection or tie wehn it comes to numbers, (has to do with my profession I think, (not so interesting in this matter and therefor not worth here to mention)).

(*) Restauration Marks in Europe, (in short, I will not get lyric here:
1 like new, in running and perfect technical order, (very very hard to get)
2 minor visible used marks, in running and perfect technical order
3 visible used marks, some small corrosian, in running and good technical order but nothing worn out or missing
4 corrosion marks, some parts missing, some technical failures but still running
5 below 4

To my opinons in reatauration this is difficult, here I personally divide the old bike world between street and all purpuse or light enduros and real dirt-bikes that where made for motorsport.

Where patina is great for street and all purpuse ...

You have dificulties to restore them to sporty dirt bikes.

In my opinion sporty dirt bikes will be used to their limits they are build to be competive so all parts and components are build to get out the maximum of speed, power, suspension, weightloss, ...

These bikes are not build to last they are build to win and to be regular maintained, there has to parts swapped, ...

When these machines getting old and are not competive anymore many of them get abused, no maintance, .... just ridden until something breaks down and the bike does not work anymore.

Then it will be stored somewhere until a fool like me comes and try to get that thing running again. If you ant to get it in a good running status than you have to change out so many parts that again it is nearly like new.

With road bikes there are not so many differencies between new machines and yesterday beside the older one's are not so fast, don't break so good and the suspension is also only as good as the old bike accelerate. But still you get from A to B.

(In short I hope this is somehow understandable)
Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #45
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Thumb

Quote:

My personal favorite Bultaco’s are:
Any SSDT Matador
Model 23 Metralla
Model 10 Sherpa T
Model 48 MK3 Pursang
Model 198 Sherpa T 250cc

Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote