ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
MarcParnes OP
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 438
Talking Trip Planning Help Please

Hi Guys,
We're planning a month long ride this summer starting in South Florida and ending up in Newfoundland, Canada. We will spend a couple of weeks riding around the southeast loosely defined as Florida on the south where we're picking the bike up, DC on the north and as far west as Tennessee. If there are any recommended things to do, places to stay or fun roads to hit while we're there I would really appreciate hearing about them. I'm responsible to come up with the basic route and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing to be honest.

Thanks for the help!

Marc
A life of bikes
MarcParnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,081
Good luck planning the route. How do you eat an elephant? One piece at the time. What are the major points of interest you want to hit?

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
What kind of bikes?

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,081
oops, wrong thread.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
MarcParnes OP
Tinkerer

We'll be riding touring bikes so no dirt roads. Twisties are fine. I don't have any particular points in mind other than Barber's Museum, The Dragon, a bit of Blue Ridge and the like. I was hoping to get some suggestions that I could work a route around.

Marc
A life of bikes
Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
dhtugs
Easy Explorer

Oddometer: 329
Hey Marc
Kinda depends on what you want to see. Smokey Mts. up the Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive into Va is my cup of tea. Dragon is overrated unless you just want to be able to say you've done it. Avoid I95 at all costs but Charleston and Savannah are also worth it if you want a coastal route as well as the outer banks of NC. I'd crossover in VA from the mountains to the coast around Norfolk and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge up thru MD and Del to avoid the mess in DC. Unfortunately from there it could get ugly thru NJ or PA then it's either a route along the Hudson River in NY up thru VT & NH or crap along the coast in CT until you get to MA, NH & ME which are all beautiful along the coasts.
Enjoy the trip you lucky guy and ride safe.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:43 AM   #7
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
Marc,

I just started a new site for West Virginia - www.RidingWV.com - with ride reports, photos, and links for destinations, diners, etc. It's a new site, so some of the pages are still bare. Hopefully by the time you go, there will be more content. Check out the "Links" page, as there are several good tourism dept. links for information.

Hope this helps.

pnoman
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,056
Some great riding in SW VA and Shenandoah Valley area and pretty much anywhere in WV. You mught hit some roads around Burke's Garden if you're in SW VAhttp://www.virginia.org/site/description.asp?attrid=15134 and then make your way into WV and take Rt 20 or 219 north then hit Rt 250, 33, or 50 east and ride some of the best twistys in the area in to VA. And yes, avoid US95 or US81 at all costs.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
MarcParnes OP
Tinkerer

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll check it out :)

Marc
A life of bikes
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
I marked a few roads through VA and NC and included Colonial Williamsburg. Lots of history there and Annapolis, MD. That brings you next to DC. You probably want to stay outside of DC and take the train in. Look for a hotel with a parking garage, so your bikes are secure and have fun!

View Larger Map
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
MarcParnes OP
Tinkerer

Thank you! That's perfect!

Marc
A life of bikes
Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
will want to visit Barbers Motorcycle Museum near B-ham, AL. Well worth the time.

http://barbermuseum.org/index2.php

Yankee Dog
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,472
DC tips

It's pretty hard to ride the east coast without getting on I-95 at some point. Kinda like going from Ventura to San Diego without using 405 or the other major freeways through LA. The same common sense applies to both the 405 and 95, just avoid riding rush hour and other peak times.

Riding into DC is WAY over-feared for the same reason. Yes, we have nasty rush hours but the cure is simple. Come in on one of the main highways when rush hour is over. Do the museums during the day (may close at 5pm, so check), then the monuments, stay in town for dinner (riverfront south of L'Enfant is good), and then ride out at/after about 7pm.

There are motorcycle parking slots in the city, many of which can fill early on nice days. You can usually find motorcycle parking within walking distance of the museums and memorials, but they are not ON the National Mall. The one tip about parking is to NOT play with DC parking enforcement, as they are one of the city's most efficient profit-making enterprises.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Honkylicious
sup?

Oddometer: 1,126
Laugh Greenville,sc

Take I-85 out of Atl. north to Greenville, SC , and visit downtown. There are lots of good restuarant (many locally owned) on Main street. There is curb side parking and garages one block off Main Street. There are all kinds of festivals and events that are free to the public from time to time.
Falls park is right there as well. Its a great place to take a stroll and enjoy the Reedy River Falls, along with all the flowers and gardens. The best part is you dont have to stay all day to see it all, its all right there together.
This is also a great place to head out from to go to Asheville and the Blue Ridge Parkway (maybe an hour and ahalf?). Just Take I-85 north to I-26 west and look for the signs.
Have a fun and safe trip, Robert

P.S. Also consider I-81 in Virginia,This heads north through Virginia upto W.Va. This is some of the most beautiful interstate scenery I've seen! Keep me up to date, I' be glad to help in any way.

Honkylicious screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 05:19 PM
Honkylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
ToadMama
ToadMama

Oddometer: 11
Wv / md / va

Eastern WV and Northern/Northwestern VA have some great roads. I can totally help you skirt DC. But cities ain't all bad. And like one poster said, going into DC or any city is all about timing.

Once you get closer to narrowing down your route, give me a shout. I'd be more than happy to answer any specific questions and share what info I can. You can also feel free to check out my blog and web site established specifically to showcase WV, MD, VA, and PA roads.
Web Home: http://www.appalachiantours.com/
ToadMama is offline   Reply With Quote