ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #16
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
If you come further East in Virginia, skip the crossing of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel... You'll save yourself $12 and about 3 hours of straight, flat riding.

If it was me, I wouldn't plan riding East of Richmond/Petersburg area in VA as the western part of the state has much better mc roads...IMO
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #17
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Riding in DC isn't bad - the roads are relatively wide, logically laid out and easy to navigate. Traffic usually moves better in the city than the surrounding burbs. There's a decent amount of motorcycle parking and a fair number of alleys and places you can stash a bike as well. Parking in the burbs and taking the train in will add a ton of time to your travels and is a huge hassle - the trains don't run terribly frequently, are generally pretty slow and stop running way early (so you'll end up having to take a cab back if you want to go out at night).

Even at rush hour it isn't too bad. I live 10 miles away in NoVA and a morning commute is usually 30 min door to door in rush hour (and that includes walking a few blocks). Where its really bad is rush hour 30 miles out of the city in the burbs. You don't want to be on a major road at rush hour outside the beltway. Once you get inside it isn't as bad. Also, I-95 cloggs up a lot on weekends with vacation traffic and in the afternoons with construction so its clogged up more often than not. :laugh

I-81 is sorta pretty for an interstate in the east (nothing like say I-25 even though) and is usually less congested than I-95. It might not take you where you wanna go though.

I-95 also isn't bad other than that traffic gets really slow at times. It tends to be pretty green with rolling hills - not as nice as I-81, but not flat and boring (the northern half of VA anyway). Further south it gets flat and boring, but all roads do. Riding in FL is pretty miserable - hot, humid, lots of speed traps, no scenery and the worlds most boring roads.

Not being able to lane split will be maddening for you coming from CA.

I ride every day in NoVA/DC for transportation. I wouldn't chose to ride on the east coast for fun - CA or the Rockies offer far better roads with less traffic and less aggressive cops. I've ridden FL to Boston and while there are a few nice roads and some ok scenery, there's nothing spectacular, a huge number of people, a ton of traffic and way too many cops.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 08:30 AM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote