ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #1561
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
Dead ends aside, it was the best 3 hours spent in a long time!
There is a log cabin on the end of that road, on the top of a mound, with a 180* view that includes the GFT. I had my log truck on that road, and it gets steeper and rougher. My RT too, prior to my F650. We commuted on that road to work for a while - in pickups.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #1562
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
If I'm reading that MDNR sign in the third picture correctly, it looks like the road behind the gate is open to:
-Hikers
-Hikers with laser vision
-Mountain bicyclists

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
There is a log cabin on the end of that road, on the top of a mound, with a 180* view that includes the GFT. I had my log truck on that road, and it gets steeper and rougher. My RT too, prior to my F650. We commuted on that road to work for a while - in pickups.
Rough commute Mike! I should have known you've built a log cabin or two on that section of forest road! That's probably your Menards bucket holding up the sign!

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #1563
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 325
love the yodelers comment.
I'm going to be at the Pancake breakfast at Trail Center but I'll be riding back to work when most of you are coming up the trail. Saturday is the last of the 7 day a week schedule till next summer.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #1564
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Look out for those North Shore Leprechauns that make rock cairns on motorbikes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymerle View Post
love the yodelers comment.
I'm going to be at the Pancake breakfast at Trail Center but I'll be riding back to work when most of you are coming up the trail. Saturday is the last of the 7 day a week schedule till next summer.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #1565
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,184
What time is the train leaving for Trail Center?
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #1566
tommymerle
advwanabee

I'm going to leave my house at 7AM in Lutsen. Be at Trail Center at 8 to order and eat my pancake and be back on the road at 9. I'm gallery boy at the studio tomorrow so I have to be there at 10 to open.

On another note I see that C-Zulu posted his message in both NE MN riders and This Shindig post. I'm always confused. Which one should we use for just chatting about stuff? Sometimes I don't have time to look at everything but I don't want to miss out on anything at the same time. Jeez! what a dilemma!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #1567
tommymerle
advwanabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
Look out for those North Shore Leprechauns that make rock cairns on motorbikes...
so that was you! often I get customers that want me to use rocks they find for bases. My guess is you are the tallest of your Leprechaun klan.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #1568
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymerle View Post
so that was you!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #1569
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,041

There are 21 tracks left to scout for a total of 134 miles.

Exchanged newer version: 4 Oct Revision 27
Old 10-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #1570
cuda
cuda

Oddometer: 30
need a good vstrom mechanic

24,000 miles probably time for a valve clearance check and maybe and adjustment, plugs etc. Anyone know of a good (competent) shop in NE MN. Thanks Cuda
cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #1571
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,041
About 76 miles of segments left to scout. We can still get this done!

Newest track is version 28.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #1572
tommymerle
advwanabee

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
24,000 miles probably time for a valve clearance check and maybe and adjustment, plugs etc. Anyone know of a good (competent) shop in NE MN. Thanks Cuda
I'm wondering and waiting for a reply on this one too. I'm not going to have enough time to do my own wrenching this winter. I don't want to take my bike to the cities (Leo's south is an Aprilia dealer now). Who should I take it to in the Northland? It's a Rotax motor.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #1573
xveganxcowboyx
Sitting on my ass

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
About 76 miles of segments left to scout. We can still get this done!

Newest track is version 28.
So I will likely be riding from Cook, MN to Schroeder, MN on Oct 18 or 19. I feel like I could cover that big section near highway 1, but I am still totally lost on mapping, route planning, etc....

I downloaded MyView for my tablet and imported the .GPX file, but it has tons of files.... I'm not sure how to make sense of them, how to integrate them in to a full route or how to log data when I'm actually riding. If I can get this all figured out I will try to ride that section (and maybe some others while I am up for the weekend).
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #1574
tippedover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Self tought GPS

I use my (i)phone and it works well regardless of cell phone reception. I utilize a handfull of apps depending on what I'm doing.

To follow a track I save it in my dropbox (app) account that way I can access it on my phone or comp. From dropbox on my phone I open the downloaded route in whatever program I feel like using for the day. GPX Master and GPX Viewer are both free and work well but don't have a lot of features. GPS Tracks is $4 and has a tone a features including laying down tracks which can then be saved in your dropbox and be waiting on your home computer.

Buybits on Amazon has a lot of good gear for mounting a phone. My only problem was my own shoddy installation job. The Velcro I put on the switch didn't stick, fell between the fork tube and frame and didn't have full travel. Ended up putting the bike down at slow speed, jwalters had a front row seat, crushed the plastic housing on the switch but it still works fine.

All and all for the cost of the mounting Kit ($50 waterproof case mount and charger) and a $4 app I have a pretty good gps setup.
tippedover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #1575
xveganxcowboyx
Sitting on my ass

Oddometer: 81
So I am pretty well set as far as equipment goes. I have a Garmin as well as my smartphone and tablet with Google Maps and Nav Free (though I will most definitely look in to the programs you mentioned for my phone and tablet). Most of my cunfusion is in how to do any mapping/recording of routes. I typically just use my GPS to get from point A to point B.

More concretely: I would like to be able to map out a route from Cook to Schroeder that includes the unridden highway 1 before I actually set out. I don't know how that is done (on a computer? specific programs? where does the data for the routes come from? etc...). That part is a pretty big mystery to me. I think you might have to break it down to the super newb level for me.

*edit* I did find the file which shows the entire route I would be attempting to ride so that helps a little. I still know nothing about integrating that in to a functional route, logging data, etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippedover View Post
I use my (i)phone and it works well regardless of cell phone reception. I utilize a handfull of apps depending on what I'm doing.

To follow a track I save it in my dropbox (app) account that way I can access it on my phone or comp. From dropbox on my phone I open the downloaded route in whatever program I feel like using for the day. GPX Master and GPX Viewer are both free and work well but don't have a lot of features. GPS Tracks is $4 and has a tone a features including laying down tracks which can then be saved in your dropbox and be waiting on your home computer.

Buybits on Amazon has a lot of good gear for mounting a phone. My only problem was my own shoddy installation job. The Velcro I put on the switch didn't stick, fell between the fork tube and frame and didn't have full travel. Ended up putting the bike down at slow speed, jwalters had a front row seat, crushed the plastic housing on the switch but it still works fine.

All and all for the cost of the mounting Kit ($50 waterproof case mount and charger) and a $4 app I have a pretty good gps setup.

xveganxcowboyx screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 02:01 PM
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote