ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #1006
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 330
I rode from home to the studio on Thanksgiving morning in 55 degree sunshine and had a very hard time to turn in and not just keep going. The Peg will be in the studio for the winter for a complete go over. However, my eye has been wandering for something smaller and much lighter for the woods. I am tempted by a Craigslist ad for a Chinese 200cc dual sport with 1200 miles on it for $400. I just can't keep falling over on the Peg because it's just too heavy to keep picking it up. My old man's back just isn't up to it. It's either that or I need some real skill training to keep from tipping over.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #1007
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,159
There have been some nice 250 KLR's on craigslist lately, unfortunately everyone wants $1500+ for the bikes. I think gas prices have really increased the resale of the sub-400cc bike market.

I'm with you though, having a light bike for backwoods exploring is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymerle View Post
I rode from home to the studio on Thanksgiving morning in 55 degree sunshine and had a very hard time to turn in and not just keep going. The Peg will be in the studio for the winter for a complete go over. However, my eye has been wandering for something smaller and much lighter for the woods. I am tempted by a Craigslist ad for a Chinese 200cc dual sport with 1200 miles on it for $400. I just can't keep falling over on the Peg because it's just too heavy to keep picking it up. My old man's back just isn't up to it. It's either that or I need some real skill training to keep from tipping over.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #1008
akfalla
eazy rider

Oddometer: 69
I agree with Lutz! You could also do this...

But when i find that money tree, i might try doing this:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/20/228...rsion-Kit.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Not so fast guys. Winter doesn't need to mean riding is done until spring. It's just another type of riding opportunity, with different rider and bike prep needed. I think this year we ought to actually do a winter ride or two or three...
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #1009
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by akfalla View Post
I agree with Lutz! You could also do this...

But when i find that money tree, i might try doing this:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/20/228...rsion-Kit.aspx

That looks like fun.
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #1010
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
That looks like fun.
They have them on Youtube too.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #1011
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Some time in the past, didn't you do some sort of damage to your gear lever, or maybe a transmission, while navigating a snow covered, frozen lake? Refresh my memory.....
Um, yes that did in fact happen on March 3, 2011. The event did result in a broken shift star, a broken turn signal, and an aggrevated or repeat thumb injury.

Three lessons learned or relearned as a result of that ride. 1: the 2009 model KLX250S came from the factory with a poorly designed/manufactured shift star, prone to breaking even under light impact. 2: my bike was not properly prepped for riding on a frozen lake with ice ruts left from snowmobiles and trucks. With some kind of traction aid, aka studs, this wouldn't have been an issue. 3: the rider was not properly prepared with modified riding technique - in other words, I knew better, but I went too fast on the ice anyway and got caught off guard by a curved ice rut.

I'll always maintain that it was a really fun ride up to the point that I discovered my bike was broken, and even then totally worth it. However, I'll also try to have studded tires on when I do future ice riding.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #1012
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Shindig Swap Meet

Is there any interest during the Shindig weekend of holding a swap meet at the campgrounds? I have a bunch of riding gear, parts and accessories I'd like to sell so I can turn around and buy more stuff I don't need, I'm sure there are others in the same boat. What are people's thoughts on having a Friday or Saturday evening swap meet at the Wildhurst campgrounds?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #1013
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
Is there any interest during the Shindig weekend of holding a swap meet at the campgrounds? I have a bunch of riding gear, parts and accessories I'd like to sell so I can turn around and buy more stuff I don't need, I'm sure there are others in the same boat. What are people's thoughts on having a Friday or Saturday evening swap meet at the Wildhurst campgrounds?
Swap meet/garage sale/ yard sale. What ever I don't care. I'm going to bring spare tubes, JBweld, brake and clutch levers, and Mosquito spray to sell. Oh, and plaster for making a cast.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #1014
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Ya, example spares might not be a bad thing to have around the campground anyways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
Swap meet/garage sale/ yard sale. What ever I don't care. I'm going to bring spare tubes, JBweld, brake and clutch levers, and Mosquito spray to sell. Oh, and plaster for making a cast.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #1015
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
Sounds good, I also have extra riding gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #1016
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
That's kinda like an alcoholic opening a liquor store, isn't it? Hard to make a sale if you use up all the product. I joke, I joke.

A swap meet does sound cool, though. I've got some moto junk that I'd love to find another home for...but it's all pretty oddball stuff...well really oddball...and junk is a pretty apt description too. It must be worth a fortune!
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #1017
cuda
cuda

Oddometer: 30
Mike S you waiting for another blizzard?

Cuda here: Glad I was able to track you down last year when you were holed up in Two Harbors. It was good to see that you weren't crazy just a little slow getting out of town. I've parked the wee strom and have put the charge on the Arctic Cats.

Hope to make it up to the shindig this year, been off on either old car adventures or riding out west, so missed both. Cuda
cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #1018
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
Cuda here: Glad I was able to track you down last year when you were holed up in Two Harbors. It was good to see that you weren't crazy just a little slow getting out of town. I've parked the wee strom and have put the charge on the Arctic Cats.
I was surprised and glad you stopped in on that snowy evening. The last person I expected to see was someone with sympathy, interest, and curiosity. The snow was not part of the plan.

Who knows what March will bring? That's when cabin fever hits the hardest, waiting for the elusive signs of spring. Nine more weeks until a sunny month arrives....
Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #1019
jwalters OP
Farkle Proliferator

Hi Folks,
Some pictures from today's excursion. Arrowhead Rider and I swung up to Grand Marais in his Jeep to meet up with MikeS. After breakfast, we cruised some of the forest roads.

While on the Gunflint Trail, we scoped this sweet double decker pontoon boat near Gunflint Lake that would be a great portage machine for the international route next summer. Check out the loading/unloading ramp on that baby! We have a line on the boat's owner, we'll see if we can work something out. It would be great to be able to portage across Gunflint lake into Ontario and ride some of the Canadian dirt roads. We'll have to wait and see!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #1020
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 330
now that looks like an adventure