User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #136
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,691
Studs?

Hey Joe and Paul you ARE using studs Right?!!
Fromm the way it sounded when Joe hit the trailer you weren't. And with comments on the North 60's studs youv'e got me questioning myself
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #137
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Hey Joe and Paul you ARE using studs Right?!!
Fromm the way it sounded when Joe hit the trailer you weren't. And with comments on the North 60's studs youv'e got me questioning myself
We are using studs. They are not as grippy on the ice as theirs, but like they were saying, theirs are worthless on the asphalt. I know that if we had had the type of studs they have he would have more chances to stop on time. Just not sure. But like Mike said. They were falling on asphalt just coming out of a gas station. There is no such thing as a perfect multi surface stud. They know that too.
You should have sen them pass us on the first 55 kms of the road from Fort Chip to Fort Smith. It was impressive.. But once we were just on ice pat this I was going over 100 km/h no problem on solid ice.
So just like them we had to make compromises. I think like Joe said that his main mistake is that hew was not paying 100 % attention to the truck and did not see it was stopped.
And I did withdraw my comments as I was completely wrong and judgemental and reacted too quickly in a time where I was really bagged and on edge. I corrected all this...I hope this answers your question... On ice?? Shit happens...

PS: Just curiosity. What experience do you have in conditions like the ones North 60 group and mine are in? Just curious.. I am always looking for advice from people who can TRULY help..

Cheers

paulmondor screwed with this post 02-28-2011 at 07:31 AM
paulmondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #138
Norry
A Great Bloke

Oddometer: 64
Paul the photographs are first class, i love black and white photography, it gives an old world charm to a scene,very artistic. I noticed you took some colour shots in the beginning of your RR, did you run out of colour film ? or does it not work in the cold ?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #139
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmondor View Post
... There is no such thing as a perfect multi surface stud.
indeed

two words "Paul Mondor"

Kyler screwed with this post 02-28-2011 at 02:45 PM
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #140
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
I just wanted to post this one. This is my favourite so far. it captures the essence and beauty of this trip..

To each their own...I'll stick next to the fireplace in that stuff.
Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #141
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norry View Post
Paul the photographs are first class, i love black and white photography, it gives an old world charm to a scene,very artistic. I noticed you took some colour shots in the beginning of your RR, did you run out of colour film ? or does it not work in the cold ?
I don't think the photos are black and white. There is little sun out there in morning and afternoons and with the weather and everything white it just looks black and white. I would guess it is dusk till close to 8:30 in the morning and around 4:00 in the afternoon kind of deal. In the summer you could golf at midnight.

JimmieA.
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #142
obsidian
Scared of the dark..

Oddometer: 837
Here's a couple extra shots to add to Paul's post on Hay River - Fort Simpson.

Paul riding in the morning sun

Me in the morning sun. Notice how streamlined my front end is... I should patent it...

Where'd the sun go?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #143
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I don't think the photos are black and white. There is little sun out there in morning and afternoons and with the weather and everything white it just looks black and white. I would guess it is dusk till close to 8:30 in the morning and around 4:00 in the afternoon kind of deal. In the summer you could golf at midnight.

JimmieA.
I've got one like that...it looks like it was photoshopped....all looks black and white, with big yellow Shell sign in it!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 AM   #144
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACjac View Post
For the non-Canucks who might read this, equalization, roughly, is a program whereby $ from richer provinces is redistributed to poorer ones. The idea is that the level of public services remains the same across the country.
For the Canadians, WE (your southern neighbors) call that the federal government. YEP! We feel the same as you do

Am enjoying watching someone else play in the snow. I don't like cold anymore.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #145
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
We are using studs. They are not as grippy on the ice as theirs, but like they were saying, theirs are worthless on the asphalt. I know that if we had had the type of studs they have he would have more chances to stop on time. Just not sure. But like Mike said. They were falling on asphalt just coming out of a gas station. There is no such thing as a perfect multi surface stud. They know that too.
You should have sen them pass us on the first 55 kms of the road from Fort Chip to Fort Smith. It was impressive.. But once we were just on ice pat this I was going over 100 km/h no problem on solid ice.
So just like them we had to make compromises. I think like Joe said that his main mistake is that hew was not paying 100 % attention to the truck and did not see it was stopped.
And I did withdraw my comments as I was completely wrong and judgemental and reacted too quickly in a time where I was really bagged and on edge. I corrected all this...I hope this answers your question... On ice?? Shit happens...

PS: Just curiosity. What experience do you have in conditions like the ones North 60 group and mine are in? Just curious.. I am always looking for advice from people who can TRULY help..

Cheers
I didn't mean comments on the attitudes you all had flying around.... I meant with regards to their studs -vs- yours. It had me questioning my information intake on the stud setup, since I'm using this info for getting a winter tire set up of my own.

My living on the EDGE experience varies from season to season.... 56,000km of winter riding, BUUUT thats's on Sleds. Studded and non studded lots of OPEN WATER riding day and night. (Studs especially important for ice to water to ice transitions!!!)
Many 10p.m. to 2a.m. nights in -30 to -40 temps, riding alone just to be pushing it and feeling alive :) 60-70km out from the next inhabited area, knowing that if the sled failed to get me through... It would be a LONG WALK in the COLD!
And as far as being on the EDGE and finally feeling alive. I don't know many people who have pushed it much further than I, these are just a two examples of a lifetime.

Your deffinately doin alright in that department to!

Jan '06 I rode a 600cc Polaris 1-1/2 miles down a TWISTY river channel dead of winter open water... alone. When I hit the shore again my hands were shaking with addrenaline from that one! I didn't realize how hard it was to turn a 48" ski stance sled on water at 80km/h... skipped like a rock on the turns. (Later found out the water crossers ski stance is 25") Doh!

Riding and Racing bikes from age 5-22yrs. Now back at it again at 45 yrs young, in the last 2yrs Ive ridden 100,000km and am enjoying the shit out of it! Ridden the last 2 winters as low as -10, but with mostly clear roads....Though I did hit snow on the North Cascades Hwy and in Ely Nevada in Nov. '08
So reading your RR has woken me up again to get some studs and do more winter riding! (Lately I'm Walleye fish'n all winter)

So thanx for all the information on studs, air pressure ect.....
I share your CRAVING for Soul food that only exist on THE EDGE!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #146
Norry
A Great Bloke

Oddometer: 64

JimmieA.

Thanks Jimmie for clearing that up but I was joking mate. Oz humour seems to be rather unique at times. we tend to not take ourselves or things too seriously as do other cultures.
playing golf in the snow at midnight would be different, you might have to fit an epirb to the ball though Jimmie !
Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #147
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,752
Well, I don't think everyone missed the black and white photo joke...

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #148
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
I didn't mean comments on the attitudes you all had flying around.... I meant with regards to their studs -vs- yours. It had me questioning my information intake on the stud setup, since I'm using this info for getting a winter tire set up of my own.

My living on the EDGE experience varies from season to season.... 56,000km of winter riding, BUUUT thats's on Sleds. Studded and non studded lots of OPEN WATER riding day and night. (Studs especially important for ice to water to ice transitions!!!)
Many 10p.m. to 2a.m. nights in -30 to -40 temps, riding alone just to be pushing it and feeling alive :) 60-70km out from the next inhabited area, knowing that if the sled failed to get me through... It would be a LONG WALK in the COLD!
And as far as being on the EDGE and finally feeling alive. I don't know many people who have pushed it much further than I, these are just a two examples of a lifetime.

Your deffinately doin alright in that department to!

Jan '06 I rode a 600cc Polaris 1-1/2 miles down a TWISTY river channel dead of winter open water... alone. When I hit the shore again my hands were shaking with addrenaline from that one! I didn't realize how hard it was to turn a 48" ski stance sled on water at 80km/h... skipped like a rock on the turns. (Later found out the water crossers ski stance is 25") Doh!

Riding and Racing bikes from age 5-22yrs. Now back at it again at 45 yrs young, in the last 2yrs Ive ridden 100,000km and am enjoying the shit out of it! Ridden the last 2 winters as low as -10, but with mostly clear roads....Though I did hit snow on the North Cascades Hwy and in Ely Nevada in Nov. '08
So reading your RR has woken me up again to get some studs and do more winter riding! (Lately I'm Walleye fish'n all winter)

So thanx for all the information on studs, air pressure ect.....
I share your CRAVING for Soul food that only exist on THE EDGE!
Holy Crap.. You do thrive on hard stuff.. Cool!
Let's put it this way. if doing icy surfaces is the only thing you want to do? Then their studs or ice screws are THE thing to have. Ours suck compared to theirs in these conditions. Ours shine at being more versatile as far as a wider range of condition. They fly on snow and ice as we pucker up. We are comfy riding on frozen roads with asphalts and concrete and ice when they will do down in flame..

I was raised on sleds too and I cannot say I have nearly done what you did..
What is cool is that one can push his or her limits in so many ways..

Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate it..Thanks also for the kudos! And my frozen hat off to you Sir as well!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #149
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Ok! Left Fort Simpson this AM and not a minute too soon.

Actually this little town is depressing a bit. People seem sad. Very sad! Or maybe it is just us because we are use to see so many beautiful things and people who have this Joie de vivre. Or is it actually the town?.. Let's just say that except to see the frozen MacKenzie river,

i cannot see why one would go there from the "Vacation" or "Touring" point view. In winter you have to go through it if you will do the Fort Mac to Port Chip to Hay River ice road, and that is if you need to hook up to the Alaska Highway. Other than that it is not like you can keep driving "Lost" and end up there. In summer? To be able to say you have travelled this road? Sure. And for course to see Nahanni National Park.
Some say it is the most remote and most beautiful park in Canada which would explain why it gets only 700 visitors a year.
It is in these mountains that are only accessible by river (Canoeing and Hiking)

So the road from Fort Simpson to Fort Nelson BC is over 510 kms..
When we left his AM it was -29 C. an the humidity was over 80%. We know by now that the humidity in the air at -30 is paralyzing. Like I said the other day. It felt warmer when I rode in Labrador at -61 C with dry air than at -35 C with moisture.
If you want to see how much moisture is in the air? This is what the front TKC 80 looked like after being parked outside.

Enough said??
The first place you get to about 280 kms past Fort Simpson is Fort Liard..
Beside a gas station where regular sells for $1.47 per litre and where you will pay $6.99 for a pre-made frozen sandwich that was past due by 5 days, there is not much. The scenery on your way to these places though is something to be seen. Vastness, emptiness and isolation are part of the daily life. There are a lot of Natives in these parts and I can honestly say that if they were not here??...........These places would be non-existant.

About an hour after Fort Liard the road started to ice up seriously and softly packed snow was appearing in places you did not expect. the shaded areas of the road which are almost 80% of it at these time of the year with the low sun packed nasty puckering surprises.. Good for the skills.
As we approached the BC-NWT border the terrain changed quite a bit from Tundra to Mountains and endless valleys. The road curved quite a bit too, which was nice... There is something beautiful about leaning a bike at 80-90 km/h on an ice covered road..

There is one thing though we all agree with is how sad we are that we did not see ANY wild life. Not one buffalo, not one moose. We quickly saw a lynx on the road, but he scrammed quickly when he heard us.. I am sure we will see more as we go north toward Inuvik.
About 80 kms before the Alaska highway we could see the snow fall and cover a mountain where we were heading. In a second we ended up in a beautiful whiteout. There was no wind though , and it felt like we were captured in a post card. it was about -20 C and it was peaceful and picturesque. The road was covered with a light dusting of snow which just swirled into a beautiful dancing cloud under the passing of our wheels. I could see Joe about 200 feet behind me, and he looked as if he was constantly emerging out of a cloud. It was hypnotizing. I had to focus on what was in front and not what I was leaving in the back. Plus the quiet, almost silence of our wheels turning on this snow, which always reaches me so deeply. Hard to explain.

We are at the Woodlands in Fort Nelson BC tonight and tomorrow we are heading north to Watson lake.
We have a 500 kms day tomorrow and the forecast calls for -30 C or -35 C depending where we look.

We will see. As long as the air is not too damp we will be OK.. But ifit gets to 80 % humidity again? we might have to trailer it for a while as we would get to late to Watson Lake.. We will see.

Iceman out

paulmondor screwed with this post 03-02-2011 at 06:06 AM
Old 03-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #150
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Holy Crap.. You do thrive on hard stuff.. Cool!
Let's put it this way. if doing icy surfaces is the only thing you want to do? Then their studs or ice screws are THE thing to have. Ours suck compared to theirs in these conditions. Ours shine at being more versatile as far as a wider range of condition. They fly on snow and ice as we pucker up. We are comfy riding on frozen roads with asphalts and concrete and ice when they will do down in flame..

I was raised on sleds too and I cannot say I have nearly done what you did..
What is cool is that one can push his or her limits in so many ways..

Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate it..Thanks also for the kudos! And my frozen hat off to you Sir as well!
Cool Paul, I like the line that one can push his or her limits in so many way's. Very TRUE yet most do not ever get to the Zone....Fear will stop most short of living.

So they're running studs like the ice oval racers use... Gotcha
I see some pics in the Stich catalog of your tires with the studs 2-1-2-1-2-1 down the center, Are you still studding the center only?
Can you go to the outer edges a bit more before affecting (I assume) the on pavement cornering. How far have you went? Or is it just plain a no-no.
Anyway again thanx for the info and look forward to meeting you on an icy highway for a cold beer in the future! Cheers

Edit: now I see you've posted some pics with about the same pattern as the '08 Stich catalog.. you musta read my mind. And very nice pics too!! I'm gonna try to find a blog or other site to see if I can find your route.... Ross River after Watson Lake maybe....

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-01-2011 at 06:22 PM