Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #166
Crooked Creek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Looking forward to the next update, Paul. I'll be driving to Tuk for the first time in a couple weeks myself, so can't wait to see the pics.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #167
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultzjr View Post
hey paul.

great trip.

is there a road between inuvik and tuktoyaktuk and did you get any pics/vids?

any thoughts of going to nunavut area someday?

thanks,
charles.....
Hit there! yes there is and it is where we are going. It is an Ice road. I will take a lot of pictures and we will shoot the whole thing as this is the destination for this documentary.
Ninavut??? Oh yeah!!!! Maybe this summer
paulmondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #168
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Beep! Beep! Beep! beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! beep!Beep! Beep! Beep! beep!

Shot the hell up! is it 6 already?

Got up in Watson Lake this morning and I made a mistake I try to never make again. I looked at the weather channel. Holy crap! -35C. It was one fo these morning where I would have stayed in bed. You know! The less you do, the less you want to do?
So I suited up and went outside to start the bikes. By now, I am the cold weather bike starter..

I put the key in and it went.. Ughhhhh-hhhhhhh-fuuuumpphh! And that was all she grunted. Out came the jumping cables and I jump-started it. It came to life after protesting a bit. I am sure I could hear it say.
“You got to be F%$#@ kidding me.! Didn’t you hear the big (Plugged in) diesel pick up next to me hesitating a few minutes ago? And you want me to start?”

Then I did Joe’s bike. It did “Click” and that was it. I guess missing half its fairing makes it a bit more prone to cold? I know it makes no sense, but it feels like it. After warming up the X5 as well for about half an hour we took off. Somehow everything I have learned over my two cross Canada trips in winter has to be tossed out the window, because I cannot figure out this humidity thing here. You go down the road at 80 km/h at -35, then you down a hill for about half a mile than it cools off 5 degrees.

The moisture in the air reaches you inside your suit like nothing I have ever seen. You go up and then it warms up five degrees. Even the road surface looks wet at times. It is as if the moisture sits there in pockets that are highly localized. Even the suit suddenly feels like cardboard and is hard to move. Anyway. There was about 130 kms to Rancheria where we wanted to stop and have breakfast. It came not a minute too soon. We had to stop every 30 clicks to thaw out the fingers.

I know I always said I would never use them, but on the next Frozen Butt Tour I am bringing heated gloves. This morning I would have used them. My core was warm, but my fingers were frozen solid. The same gloves I wore at -60 C would not work here at – 35 C.

Anyway! After a few cups of coffee and a Yukon Meat lovers breakfast, we were ready to go. Or were we!! Joe’s bike is losing a bit of oil, but nothing that cannot be replaced once in a while.
Breakfast cooked straight in heaven. Methane producin, Artery clogging, heart stopping, stomach caressin, liver overloadin and intestine stuffin, but Ohhhhh Soooooooo Gooooood!

There were a total of 425 kms to Whitehorse and only 375 to the Lodge where we would stay.
Mid morning the temperature warmed up to about -25 C. at this point we were comfortable, but the moisture in the air was still reaching in. I decided to try to block it with duct taping my fingertip son my gloves. Guess what? It worked.

I look like an arctic version of Edward Scissorhands, but it works. At times there was a strong winds that caused the snow to drift on the road and cover it with an almost impossible to see layer of snow. When we’d meet a rig it would blanket us in a cloud of snow. Can’t se where you are going, but if you have mastered the pucker technique enough, and can remember the next 100 feet of road that just disappeared you are OK.

The road on our way to our next stop was icy most of the time, but when we had no ice it was really nice as well. It is rough though. So at times I preferred to ride on the right shoulder, which turns out is smooth as a baby’s butt. We rolled along at 80-90 km/h most of the time.
The road from Rancheria to Teslin was absolutely what winter riding is all about.

Blue sky beyond belief! (At times).

Mostly lots of ice and good traction (Kind of) and snow capped mountains, frozen rivers and endless valleys asleep under a thick snow blanket. At one point the temp hovered around -16-17 and it was heaven.

I had a grin on my face that most likely would have got me committed.
About two hours after this huge at Rancheria, we stopped in Teslin where Joe had half a wrap with fries. He got out of there and could hardly move. I think I could hear fart and burp 200 feet behind me. I, on the other hand could not have one more bite.
The Yukon Meat Lovers breakfast which had enough stuff in it that at one point had a mother and a face was still producing enough energy in my tummy that I could run on the proteins it had till net spring.

I know I said it before, but the Alaska Highway in winter is something to be reckoned with. It is busy in summer with all sorts of thing on wheel. From bicycles to rigs and Straw hat wearing- map reading- camera toting- flower pattern short wearing tourists driven RV’s and anything else on earth that can be moved on wheels. But at this time of the year you do not see that much traffic.

Those who travel on the AH are doing it by absolute necessity. The rigs own it all right and a few work pick up trucks. But unless you can handle cold harsh dangerous driving conditions? Stay home! Not for the faint of heart. Not quite as wild as the Trans Labrador, but considering there are major towns and a lot of people scattered between point on the AH from BC to Alaska it is wild to see so very little traffic.
The pictures speak for themselves.

We eventually made it to the Inn on Lake lodge about 40-50 clicks south of Whitehorse were we will be roughing it.. What can I say? No flat screen TV..
It is a beautiful lodge on the edge of Lake…..
A log home I should say. And cabins you rent are not cabins. They are houses.

Absolutely stunning!

I also made a new friend here.

The friendliest Rottweiler dog I have ever seen. He loved to fetch his log. Yep! This puppy does not do stick shit! What he fetches is a quarter of log that weighs about 10 pounds. Try to throw this around for about an hour.

Jesse was also doing his own work out by puling Joe on the lake in a tube.. Staff abuse? You bet your ass it is. This far north and this cold? Good luck finding the Labor rights commission’s office.
We went on the lake to take pictures of it and also of the imposing log structure.
A great place to relax! The place was busy as it is a great place renowned for its location and also because it is a great spot to see the Northern lights..
Apparently tonight we should have some, but I would have to be out at about 4 AM. The only place this face will be at 4 AM is deep in a pillow, drooling and snoring.

We had dinner at the lodge.

Talk about being pampered. 2 course meal, gourmet soups and desserts. Yep! Roughing it is the way to go.. It was delicious. Of course it was French style cuisine. I mean the French from France and even though we had our food served in four different plates; it would have fit in one small regular bowl..
It was very good, but very small. A huge plate with a tablespoon of whipped potatoes, a little splatter of sauce accompanied by about one ounce of veggies. Like I said, it was delicious no doubt. But I am used to great food like this, but enough in your plate that would fill more than a tooth.. If any of you ever go by, this lodge is worth checking out. It is beautiful, quiet, an the settings are unreal.

OK! On my way out for breakfast. Hey! Got to use the ammenities.

Iceman out.

paulmondor screwed with this post 03-05-2011 at 09:50 AM
Old 03-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #169
indianscout
Dexter

Oddometer: 617
Incredible! More please!!
indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #170
Oznay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianscout View Post
Incredible! More please!!
+1, ditto that.super ride,great pics
Oznay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #171
shultzjr
n00b

Oddometer: 5
roads in google maps.

hey paul and joe,

so happy to live through your trip, keep the pics coming.

the reason I asked about the road to tuk is that google maps do not show ice roads just regular roads (been trying to follow you guys with google maps).

I understand that nunavut has no regular roads into it but there might be an ice road or two into it. do they stay hard even in the summer? that area of canada sure is sparse.

later,
charles.....
shultzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #172
justanotherider
justanotherider

Oddometer: 177
Paul:

If your hands are still giving you trouble, try big floppy mitts. You can pick them up at Canadian Tire, etc. If you get them a bit over-sized, you can still use your brake and clutch without difficulty, and we've found them much warmer than gloves of any kind. I like the leather ones, since they cut wind to zero; but even nylon mitts with thinsulate work. You can also toss in a pair of "hot paws" had warmers into your mitts to give you a bit of help if required.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #173
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherider View Post
Paul:

If your hands are still giving you trouble, try big floppy mitts. You can pick them up at Canadian Tire, etc. If you get them a bit over-sized, you can still use your brake and clutch without difficulty, and we've found them much warmer than gloves of any kind. I like the leather ones, since they cut wind to zero; but even nylon mitts with thinsulate work. You can also toss in a pair of "hot paws" had warmers into your mitts to give you a bit of help if required.
Damn good idea. I will look for some here in Whitehorse..
Somehow my setup has always worked. But here it does not. DO you know why? They worked in Labrador at -60 and here at -40 they do not.. I ww\ould love to hear some explanations here. I really would
Old 03-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #174
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Humidity, humidity, humidity, it is the same here and was the same in Alabama when I was a kid. 50 below at Tete Jaune Cache with no wind and humidity in the single digits, no problem outside. 30 above in Alabama with 80-90 % humidity, I froze , my bike riding was miserable. Naturally that was in the mid 1950's and bike clothing was not what it is today.

Over size mitts as suggested are very very good and from my small experience of cold weather/icy road riding you almost can never use the front brake anyway and that take the challenge of having to cover that lever.

Great RR Paul , you have so many of us hanging on for the ride. Ride smart , have fun.
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #175
Eire Sonic
In to deep.......

Oddometer: 14
Thumb What a great thread

Just found this thread today just before midnight here in Ireland and spent the past 2 hours fighting the stinging eyes to get up to date on this RR...

Fairplay to ye because im sure ye must be tired after each day of riding in them conditions so thanks for taking the time and effort to post this with so many great pics.

Keep up the great work and I wish ye all the best of luck...

Ride safe
Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #176
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
How was riding across that bridge outside Teslin in the winter? Those steel bridges are interesting in the summer, just wonder what it would be like with a little frost on it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #177
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fuzz View Post
How was riding across that bridge outside Teslin in the winter? Those steel bridges are interesting in the summer, just wonder what it would be like with a little frost on it.
Hey hey! Actually the bridge was OK. Steel grade bridges never worried me. The front end danced a bit but it was OK. Joe has never been a fn of these bridges, but like he said now has new fears and other worries. So he was OK with it.
But you are right, it is an interesting one. The grade is sure not designed like regular one. The openings are wider than deeper. So good sideways movement.

Cheers
Old 03-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #178
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
Humidity, humidity, humidity, it is the same here and was the same in Alabama when I was a kid. 50 below at Tete Jaune Cache with no wind and humidity in the single digits, no problem outside. 30 above in Alabama with 80-90 % humidity, I froze , my bike riding was miserable. Naturally that was in the mid 1950's and bike clothing was not what it is today.

Over size mitts as suggested are very very good and from my small experience of cold weather/icy road riding you almost can never use the front brake anyway and that take the challenge of having to cover that lever.

Great RR Paul , you have so many of us hanging on for the ride. Ride smart , have fun.
All good points. I will look for them.. DO not core to repeat the other morning..
Thank you
Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #179
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
At first when I brought it back to Victoria from Vancouver, I was not sure what to think. The front end felt light in dry and grippy condition and I did not know how it would feel on snow and ice. Our first day going across the Coquahala was the best way from hell to find out. I had said I wanted bad stuff and we got it.. a storm that stopped rigs on their tracks and even the tow trucks that were trying to help them. 6 inch of slush and snow is the worse. No traction and no control. Stopping was hard cause taking off again was challenging. I know how Frosty felt in this and her weight is something I am familiar with. I know how much to squeeze her and how to use my weight to work with hers.
This DID NOT work on the 800! I had no feedback from the front end. It felt vague as if floating on this crap. In a way it was, but I felt I could not use the bars to steers the bike at low speed. 10-15 km/h was incredibly hard to do. Frosty has enough weight on the front end that just me putting my weight back on the seat at times or low on the pegs was enough for us to work well together. Not on the 800
========================
Now that you've had some serious saddle time on the 800, how would you compare it to Frosty?
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #180
justanotherider
justanotherider

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmondor View Post
Damn good idea. I will look for some here in Whitehorse..
Somehow my setup has always worked. But here it does not. DO you know why? They worked in Labrador at -60 and here at -40 they do not.. I ww\ould love to hear some explanations here. I really would
Paul:

I really don't know why some gear seems to work for a while and then not. I'm riding in the same gear I used 4 years ago at -35 to -40. Four years ago, I felt fine in it, last year, and this year, I found myself cold in it. The only explanation I have for it is that I'm getting older.

I don't think there is much humidity in cold weather; but it could be your gloves were a bit damp from sweat? At any rate, I find my little fingers are warmer in mitts where they can keep each other company; and, as I said earlier, in a pinch, hot shots, or hot paws can always be popped in for some assistance if required. When my thumbs get cold in mitts, I take the opportunity on straights to pop them over the bar and hold them with my fingers to warm them up, and just use palm pressure on the bar to hold the throttle. Of course, I'd never do that with both hands and the same time, as it would surely seem unsafe.

Let me know if mitts work for you.