Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #106
northern
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Don't worry about the road tomorrow, nothing like the winter road. 270 kms , 110kms is great gravel and the rest is black top.....well with the snow storm white top!
northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #107
Oznay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Damn,what a trip!I cannot imagine you NOT makin'the entire trip,I'm along on the ride with ya in spirit buddy.As usual,ride like hell,take lotsa chances....Nose
Oznay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #108
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Just wondering

Now that were friends again, I'd like to ask you something of a more personal nature. Do you find that your gigantic balls help to lower your center of gravity?
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #109
Oznay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher1 View Post
Now that were friends again, I'd like to ask you something of a more personal nature. Do you find that your gigantic balls help to lower your center of gravity?
Oznay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #110
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,656
Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #111
Ray-zer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Side Car Question

Paul, was there ever a consideration of doing the trip with sidecars? Or is this trip pushing beyond that too? Great report. I'm clenching my guts as I read.

Ray
Ray-zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:40 AM   #112
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher1 View Post
Hey!!

Actually! I cannot feel them most of the time.. So can't answer this..
I like to think that having only two brain cells is more useful than big Kahunas!!
paulmondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #113
atk_nut
and atk_nut_wife

Oddometer: 595
Awesome ride.

It sound like an awesome adventure so far!!

Keep safe amigos!

http://members.shaw.ca/fourup
http://vimeo.com/jollyrogerranch
atk_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #114
Norry
A Great Bloke

Oddometer: 64
"I like to think that having only two brain cells is more useful than big Kahunas!! " Paul Mondor said this ?

Paul maaate, yes, having two brain cells would be much more useful to you than your much discussed kahunas, but it is fairly obvious to us all that if you had another brain cell it would be very lonely! And because of this fact I would suggest you take very good care of those kahunas of yours, they appear to be your only option for a fulfiling and meaningful life. " look after what you already have, not what you pine for" norry said this.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #115
Yukoner2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Hey Paul, sounds like the trip is going good, aside from one bike missing alot in the front department.
Looking forward to following along with you on your travels. Right now the weather is not good in the Inuvik area, storms keeping Northwestel repair people grounded so there has been no telephone service or internet service to the outside world for a couple days now.
All is good here in Whitehorse though.
Jon
Yukoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #116
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Crazy trip. Enjoy the cold!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #117
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-zer View Post
Paul, was there ever a consideration of doing the trip with sidecars? Or is this trip pushing beyond that too? Great report. I'm clenching my guts as I read.

Ray
Hi there! No there was no consideration about it. Not that it is beyond that. I mean sidecars work great in this too i suppose. Rob1313 did the Tuk ice road a couple years ago on a Url and it worked great.
I for one did Labrador in 08 with a sidecar attached to my Frosty (650 Dakar) and I hated it. To me might as well drive a car. it takes the "Fear" factor out of it. Knowing what I know now I would use a one wheel trailer to crry my survival equipment if I needed to..

Hope this helped
Old 02-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #118
ooner
I wanna ride

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmondor View Post
...Mark approached me with a smile only a motorcyclist can relate to. A smile that says so much, and yet; cant be put into words. As he took two of my books and asked me to sign them, he proceeded to tell me how late last fall, on a dark cold day, he put a week permit on his 1984 R100RT and rode on a road he had never done in bad weather. One of these roads that most likely get covered with road debris, branches and everything else that can be thrown on the tarmac. He told me that even though he had ridden it many times in summer, he had always wanted to ride it during the off-season. (His off-season) I still see the twinkle in his eyes, as he told me about the many rear wheel squiggles, and how he is now comfortable with them. The way the road somehow now looks new, and the scenery so different......He told me about this peace, this comfort that took over him as the warmth in that coffee shop made him realize that his comfort zone had kept him from this for so many years. The same peace, emotion and comfort I have been preaching about for so many years now...

It was while I listened to Mark that I felt this realization.

Push yourself a bit more than you normally do, and you will learn something every time. Something you did not know; and most likely would have never known you could learn. Push yourself, push a friend, and together (It feels even better this way) you will see what I mean. If you dont? Well, to you, I will only be the crazy Iceman who rides in -60 C and writes about it...
I think this would have made a wonderful Prelude to your RR. This is great stuff, fuel for the soul.

I have never had a problem riding in snowy or flat out bad weather, but you take it to extreme. I can't get enough of this.

T.W.A.T. 2010
ooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #119
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Hey Hey Hey! we did the 300 clicks today between Fort Smith and Hay River NWT. this road reminded me of Labrador. Wide open spaces and a whole lot of nothing. it is nice to be somewhere where there is 300 kms space between town and places. No gas, No stores, No stops, nothing
You got to love it.

The temps was warm and hovered around -10 C. that was nice. But there was a nasty sidewinds that tossed us all over when we hit soft snow. Our lane was covered in snow and was not ploughed. Only few patches where you could see the ice. So for about 150 kms we rode in the incoming traffic lane. I stayed about 1000 feet ahed of Joe and the SV and when I saw a vehicle coming I put my right signal on. This way Joe had time to slowly come down in speed without using the brakes and move over in our lane. For the whole 300 kms we saw about 10 vehicles.

That was it.

There were times where we had to slow down to about 30 km/h. There was some snow drifts in our lane and after yesterday Joe was a bit weary of the soft stuff. But he did awesome today on his Mad Max 800!
We had to duct tape his bike a bit more. Some of the body panels were flapping in the wind. As of today another thing he owns is duct taped. His sunglasses. The lenses kept falling off. So FLora duct taped them while we were on the move. How great is that?

When we made to the end of highway 5 we took a break. I had this sense of peace all over me. It is hard to explain the peace one has seeing this hostile scenery go by from behind visor and at the same time be warm and comfortable.

Tomorrow we are heading to Fort Simpson and it is a 425 kms leg with nothing on it. At least that is what we are told. So we filled the three five gallon Jerry cans and the bikes. We stocked up on water and food. We are leaving at 7:30. This could take from what we know so far up to 9 hours of riding or more. They are forecasting 80 + km/h winds and the temps are supposed to dip quite south of the -20's. We will see. if the storm hits us hard we have agreed that we will put joe's bike in the trailer first and that I will keep at it till I cannot anymore. We bought some extra cargo ratchet type straps just in case it gets nuts.We want to have some wild videos of this, so I will push hard..

We are two days in Fort Simpson. I think it will be good timing. if the storm the locals say we are heading toward is there. We might see it blow by while we are there.

Sorry! I have plenty of pictures but I cannot upload them. I got a blender on my counter at home that is faster than this connection.
I will try to make up for it tomorrow

paulmondor screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 04:57 AM
Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #120
justanotherider
justanotherider

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmondor View Post
.....Update on the North of 60 bunch. This morning as Joe was unloading his bike Ziggie was beside him in his big Dualie! He had to say something.

He said "Ziggie! You stood there and told me and Paul to tough it up and you are riding a F%$@ puck up truck?"
Ziggie said "I did it a couple times when i was young" Joe's reply "We all did stuff stuff when we were young!"

I have to admit! I am impressed with them doing what they do for the municipality of Port Chipewyan. Hats off to them! But they sure are a bunch of guys who are derogatory towards others. Alvin was the best and he is the one who offered Joe to cannibalize his F800 for parts so Joe could fix his bike.

Damn! Why does it have to be about their big Johnson's? We are all out here doing what few do and share it with others. Why bring down your fellow riders? Because we did not have ice studs and heated vest over our 10,000 kms trip while they did for their 400 kms one?
Let me tell you. Some times you come across people (Especially men) that prove that a man can jerk off in a flower pot and raise a blooming idiot....
Paul:

Perhaps you need to grow a bit thicker skin, to appreciate support in tough situations. Siggy was just encouraging you to stick with it. He does that to all of us when we are having a tough time, (as sometimes happens when the snow is deep near Moose Island). As for him being tough, he works on our bikes bare-handed on the roadside, regardless of the temperature to get us going when we are broken down. In all the years he has wrenched on our ride, he has only had one bike he couldn't get going again, and it had a catastrophic mechanical engine failure. A blooming idiot he is not. A dedicated, tenacious mechanical wizard he is.

Your comment that the group is "a bunch of guys who are derogatory towards others" would seem to fly in the face of the reality that the group feed you, arranged a warm place for you to store and work on your bikes, offered to help you with your repairs, offered you parts for your bike, gave you information on the road conditions you faced west of Fort Chipewyan, and slowed down to check that you were ok when we passed you on the road. In fact, you comment seems to me be downright ingracious. If you want free dinners and support a second time from hosts, you might try a little humility and gratitude.

All the bikers I know tease each other about our various choices of bikes, our lack of riding capability, our gear, how fat or skinny we happen to be and how ugly we are. I think it's called comradeship. If you can't take a little teasing about needing a windscreen on your bike in cold weather, then you ought not to hang with any of the groups of riders I know.

Any of the riders or support drivers in our group would go out on a long skinny limb to help a friend or a stranger, and you were the recipient of some of that kindness. You might want to think about that before posting derogatory comments about the people who help you in the future.

Some of our riders do use heated gear, and our ride is only about 400 kms. long. You seem to suggest that this makes them less of a rider or less of a man than you. So who's wagging their Johnson?

By the way, you aren't the only guy who's done long distances in nippy weather mate. I've done Tuk to Rupert to Halifax in twelve days, (and we all know there ain't no summer road to Tuk) and I didn't come away from it posting derogatory comments about any of the riders I met along the way, whether they were supportive, indifferent, or told me I was nuts. (There, now you've seen my Johnson).

I hope you and Joe have a safe and pleasant ride to Tuk. The Dempster can be tricky in winter if there is a strong crosswind up north of Eagle Plains with drifting snow, and the tendancy for the wind to blow you off the road. If the road crew advise you to wait out the wind, I'd listen to them. As far as I know, the rest of your ride should be relatively easy, as I think you are correct in your view that the bit from Fort Chipewyan to Moose Island can be a bit difficult.