ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #16
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,677
I've been wanting to get into kayaking, but OMR's idea sounds great considering I probably won't have a boat in time for this.

I'm in as long as my schedule is ok with it.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #17
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,759
Looks like old man river has the ball now. Sound like he has a painless plan. I have an extra tandem canoe and a couple sit on tops if anyone needs them this summer put in in elkton an out at cabin. Use of ford f- teen thousand for shuttle is authorized.
Camping is a go here too. May 13-15 is not good for us. But don't let that stop you.

bloochdog screwed with this post 02-16-2011 at 10:39 AM
bloochdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
Hack

Oddometer: 3,793
Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
Hack

Oddometer: 3,793
Is this an atgatt event?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #20
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,529
ATGATT? I won't paddle that river without a helmet.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
Old Man River
Possumdog!

Oddometer: 493
We shouldn't have trouble finding boats ....

Or the shuttles ....

Y'all work out the date and let me know. I'll show up with the troops!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #22
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,759
I paddle my own canoe. A shuttle would be nice
Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #23
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man River View Post
...Maybe this way the event will actually take place ...
That is totally awesome of you, man!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #24
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I'll be more than happy to help in any way I can!
+1 & ditto on that!

I may want to bring a wife and a kid or two
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 AM   #25
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
Sounds like someone is pulling a "Badguy".......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
That is totally awesome of you, man!
Big +1
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #26
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
22-24 would be cool. only weekend in the spring I don't have a rugby game.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #27
Old Man River
Possumdog!

April 22 - 24 sounds fine to me. Let's just go with that weekend.
I have a thought to throw out here.
This is an entirely different stretch of river. My thought is to camp at Low Water Bridge campground in Bentonville. I would supply all needed equipment and shuttle. Folks could camp Friday and Saturday nights. Shuttles will pick up right at the campsite and take everyone 12 miles upstream for the float back to the camp. Next day those that want to paddle will continue 11.5 miles downstream to my shop and get shuttled back to the camp. Camping would cost $8 per person per night. The campground has Picnic tables, fire rings w/ grill tops, potable water, flush toilets and hot showers! And the bikes would be secure during the day while everyone is on the water.
The river on this stretch is considered the best of the South Fork, which includes Compton rapid, the Ledge and Karo rapid. Another benefit to this stretch is that there are no dams to portage.
Just a thought - I'm good with whatever you guys want to do. Let's just post
up what everyone wants and set the plan in stone.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #28
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man River View Post
...I have a thought to throw out here. This is an entirely different stretch of river. ....
I can see where this would be a lot more convenient for you to shuffle us around than clear the other side of Elkton. But is this wider, probably slower section of river as exciting and canoe-friendly as the narrower part? I seem to recall hearing that motorboats operate in that stretch of the river. I know the upper part where it's narrower is easy canoeing, good current, and no motorboats. What about this lower part - would it be as fun and private as the upper part?
The idea sounds like super convenient with great amenities. Never had it this easy
Old 02-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #29
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I can see where this would be a lot more convenient for you to shuffle us around than clear the other side of Elkton. But is this wider, probably slower section of river as exciting and canoe-friendly as the narrower part? I seem to recall hearing that motorboats operate in that stretch of the river. I know the upper part where it's narrower is easy canoeing, good current, and no motorboats. What about this lower part - would it be as fun and private as the upper part?
The idea sounds like super convenient with great amenities. Never had it this easy
No motorboats any bigger than this

It's considered the best of the South Fork. No boats. It is wider but there is also more water. It has a nice current except through Overall, which you can see from the road. It has no dams to portage. Some of the land on the left bank is National Forest.
I'm sure I can think of a few more things if I think about it. Like Kevin said ^, but get a dry bag...much better at keeping things dry.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #30
Old Man River
Possumdog!

The fishing on this stretch is going to be equally as good as up at Elkton - smallies, largemouth, catfish, pan fish and a rare muskie on occasion.

I think everyone will be pleased with the river in this stretch. Nice rapids (strong class II - hence the mentioned dry bags), lots of National Forest land to hang out on and great fishing. Combine that with a weekend ride with nice twistie roads and it sounds sweet!

Keep in mind that in Virginia if you have a motor on a boat of any kind, the boat needs to be registered for motor use - all outfitter boats ARE NOT registered.

If anyone wants to camp Friday night also(extra $8), just let me know and I will make the arrangements.

As we get closer to the date of the trip, we will discuss arrival time at the camp to be prepared for the shuttle. Anyone that has their own boat, feel free to bring it along if you really want to paddle your own stuff, otherwise I will have all the equipment you will need. Also, if you are bringing your own equipment, you can, if you want, bring it a few days ahead and drop it at my shop for the shuttle to bring on the day of the trip. This way you can still ride your bike to the camp.

Now ...... lets get the "IN" list fired up!!