ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #31
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 793
Just caught scott_P's cross post to the Bald Eagle Bastards thread.
This looks like a blast! I'm IN!
Question about the reference to rapids (no problem with the concept, I've rafted Ohiopyle a few times - and Dimple Rock has had me for lunch every time ), how likely is an all-over baptism? Just want an idea of what gear to pack.

Ahoogah! Ahoogah!

Greg (SS)

edit, Okay OMR posted up an answer as I was typing the question. Secure the diving watch, prepare for heavy surf.
MapMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #32
Old Man River
Possumdog!

Oddometer: 486
Overall the majority of the trip is mellow flowing water with the exception of the three class II rapids. Two class II rapids on the first day and one class II on the second day.

Just keep the boat pointed straight downstream, follow the fastest moving water and continue to paddle and all should be fine. If not, we'll all get a good laugh!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #33
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,711
class II is that swirl when you pull the plug an your bath tub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #34
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326

and I see it swirl the other way when I'm in Ecuador!

Those "rapids" should be tame. Unlikely to even get splashed the way I remember Compton. Unlike running the North Fork from Turner Hams when the water's 5.5' at Cootes' store (if anybody on here is familiar with what I'm talking about). This is awesome, count me IN, with the wife! Is it cool to invite the kids... and kid's wife?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #35
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,475
Hmmm, this could be interesting.

Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #36
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,441
We might come down Saturday and fish and possibly stay for the night but I'm at least 5 months away from paddling.

OMR picked a good weekend. Earth Day is the 22nd.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #37
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
We might come down Saturday and fish and possibly stay for the night but I'm at least 5 months away from paddling.

OMR picked a good weekend. Earth Day is the 22nd.
Shouldn't you be out hiding a duck?

These guys get out of hand when they can't play...

You are probably getting some kind of frozen precip right now eh?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #38
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14xl View Post
So who's in?
h14xl
Old Man River
Bwalsh
scottP
ONO and wife
KShow
badguy
bloochdog
hscrugby
MapMaster

We also need a list of who is bringing their own boat.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #39
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

I looked at two more places this morning. Pretty good but access was a bit tight so I'm going back to the first spot in the AM.

Ice was the reason I stayed in this afternoon. It's hovering around 30 and the roads are ice up in the higher elevations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Shouldn't you be out hiding a duck?

These guys get out of hand when they can't play...

You are probably getting some kind of frozen precip right now eh?

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 02-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #40
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14xl View Post
I'll let OMR make that call. OMR how large of a crowd can you or are willing to handle?
Cool! FWIW, they fit in; my daughter passed the MSF and got her endorsement. I got my son a 250 and he's gonna take the MSF class this Spring. And y'all would enjoy my kids (I have no idea if they'd be able to make it, but if either or both could) they're very responsible and sociable and athletic. My son went on a five night canoe trip down the Spanish river in Ontario with me, camping along the way. I'd just like to know asap if it's cool to invite them so I can guage their interest and have them check their calendars. And get them on the in list if it works. I won't mention it to them until I hear...
thanks
Earth Day is my daughter's Birth Day
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #41
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
I looked at two more places this morning. Pretty good but access was a bit tight so I'm going back to the first spot in the AM.

Ice was the reason I stayed in this afternoon. It's hovering around 30 and the roads are ice up in the higher elevations.
Sorry, I didn't want to make it difficult on you two. I figured you would have dropped him off on the way home Saturday.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #42
Old Man River
Possumdog!

OnandOff, it's cool with me to invite your kids.

Note: All children must be at least 6 years of age to be able to go in an outfitter boat - just a policy!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #43
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Sorry, I didn't want to make it difficult on you two. I figured you would have dropped him off on the way home Saturday.
That was my plan.

I had the site picked out...

I dictated the post to Mary...

The battery in the camera was dead...

Go figure.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #44
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man River View Post
OnandOff, it's cool ... All children must be at least 6 years of age ...
Thanks OMR! I will see if they will go!
I don't have grandkids yet
Old 02-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #45
Old Man River
Possumdog!

OK everyone .... here's the deal:

1) 30 of my canoes will be available for the two days
2) 3 ten-hauler canoe trailers will be available for the two days
3) the more privately owned equipment that needs to be shuttled reduces the number of my canoes that will be available. This is due to the 30 spaces available on the trailers. Privately owned equipment can be transported to the put-in by the owner (very limited parking at he put-in), which will not reduce the number of available outfitter canoes.
4) 2 privately owned kayaks will fit into 1 canoe spot on the trailer for the shuttle.
5) I can provide some kayaks for those that want them, however with the increased work involved in moving and handling kayaks, I will have to charge a small fee for each .... say $20/per day.
6) It's up to you guys about children, but I think any children that attend should not be bothered by drinking and foul language. It is an ADV event after all!!! All children will need to be at least 6 years old and know how to swim to be able to be in outfitter equipment.

So from here on out, when responding please tell us how many people you have attending, how many canoes or kayaks you will need to have supplied, if you are bringing your own equipment and what kind, ie. - canoe or kayak, if you are briging anyone under the age of 18, and how many nights you plan to stay.

OH .... one more thing:
Campground Rules
Speed limit 5 mph throughout the campground. Drive slowly within the campground, children are playing and other campers don't want to eat your dust.
All children must be in the supervision of an adult.
All pets must be kept on a leash and cannot be a bother to other campers. Do not tie your pets or anything else to our trees.
Trash cannot be left on campsites. Put your trash in bags and place your trash bags in the trash bins located throughout the campground. (trash bags will be provided)
If you are going to be away from your campsite for any length of time, please tell someone in the office. (this is for your protection)
Respect the quiet time of 11pm to 7am.
No ATV riding in the campground. (no mini bikes, four wheelers, dirt bikes etc.)
Visitors coming to see you must check in at the office. (there is a day fee for visitors and a limit to how long they may stay) Don't worry about the day fee - remember I know the folks that own the camp.
Campfires are allowed only in the fire rings. (no bonfires)
If you become disruptive or annoy other campers you will be asked by a campground employee to correct your behavior. If you have to be asked twice to tone down the noise or correct your behavior, you will be asked to leave. If you are asked to leave, there will be no refund of your money.
Only one car per campsite. If you have more than one car we will gladly direct you to a parking area.
Observe and obey all signs posted throughout the campground. They are there for your protection.

It's going to be early in the campground season and I'm sure they will be happy to have us - just wanted everyone to know the rules and not have the Sherriff show up

PHEW .... .... after all the responses get in, its all downstream from there!
Don't wait to long to respond as I have a feeling this thing might fill up quick!!!

Now it's time for a