ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #46
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,114
One question:
All pets must be kept on a leash and cannot be a bother to other campers. Do not tie your pets or anything else to our trees. "

No hammocks?

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #47
Old Man River
Possumdog!

Oddometer: 483
I'll double check but I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with a hammock tied to the large trees along the river. I think they mean the little trees they planted.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #48
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man River View Post
OK everyone .... ... its all downstream from there! ...
Very nice!
Thanks!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #49
H14 OP
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
Welcome to my world
Yep, I'm seeing it. Oh well.
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #50
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,089
add me,
2 nights camping, one day paddling I'll have my own kayak but will need a spot on the shuttle.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #51
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,238
Yes Kevin... still waiting on my son to vett out his schedule.... As of now it's me and Rosie, would love a canoe/paddles/vests for us two, camp Sat night for sure and undecided about Fri. which what time we leave the campgrounds Sat. am for the put-in will be a factor in deciding. If the 'boy' comes it would be another canoe set for him and his wife and same camping arrangement as us. The daughter and BF have already declined this wonderful opportunity; I tried raising her to appreciate this kinda thing but you can't win 'em all. No under 18 nor under 21 here for that matter.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #52
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Hey Kevin!
Muffynmonster and I will be there Saturday but just to annoy everyone (and fish) - I should be out of the cast but still in a brace and I will still be prohibited from doing anything like paddling or riding.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #53
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
add me,
2 nights camping, one day paddling I'll have my own kayak but will need a spot on the shuttle.
Brian, are you planning on doing what I think you are doing? I'll come just to see that rig. Maybe I can convince Teresa to come too. This is definitely something to think about.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #54
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,939
As far as the time on the river Saturday it's 12 miles at approximately 3 miles per hour plus stopping for lunch etc.
For example we could go to the put in around 10:00-11:00 and be back to the campground by 3:00-4:00 easy.
We could add a 2-3 hour ride to the mix, say a loop down the backroads to Luray and back up through Fort Valley.
Another thing...I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do but it would be a good idea to not drink too much while on the river. The water is still chilly then and if the air temp is chilly a spill in the river could make for an unpleasant experience.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #55
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

In April I'd be dressing for the water temp, not the air temps.

I used to teach cold water survival and hitting even 60 degree water can be an unpleasant experience.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #56
MapMaster
luddite

Oddometer: 670
Question

I'll paddle both days and will be camping for at least two nights.
I'm waiting on feedback from my son before specifying my hull preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Another thing...I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do but it would be a good idea to not drink too much while on the river. The water is still chilly then and if the air temp is chilly a spill in the river could make for an unpleasant experience.

As far as I'm concerned, & is for after the traveling is done. Whether its on wheels or water.

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #57
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
I'll paddle both days and will be camping for at least two nights.
I'm waiting on feedback from my son before specifying my hull preference.

As far as I'm concerned, & is for after the traveling is done. Whether its on wheels or water.
That's the right attitude.
I was just trying to cover all bases with my previous statement.

Like 6USMC6 said dress for the occasion. Cotton is not a good option. Polypropylene underwear, Pile and some kind of nylon windbreaker/paddling jacket and pants and a knit hat would be the best option for any cool/cold weather paddling.

Also I just want to get this off my chest and out to everyone who is thinking of coming. I'm not trying to discourage folks from coming out for a great time.
I have heard Laurel Fork has gotten a little out of hand in years past. That can't happen here. I know the owners of the campground and so does Old Man River. I also have friends who live within earshot of the campground. I know they would appreciate a low key group. I don't want bad blood between us because of someone elses stupidity.
The campground doesn't tolerate rowdy groups and like Old Man River said earlier they WILL call the sheriff if things get out of hand. I've seen it happen. I'm not saying you can't have fun...just do it with respect for others.

bwalsh screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 09:34 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #58
MapMaster
luddite

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I have heard Laurel Fork has gotten a little out of hand in years past. That can't happen here. I know the owners of the campground and so does Old Man River. I also have friends who live within earshot of the campground. I know they would appreciate a low key group. I don't want bad blood between us because of someone elses stupidity.
The campground doesn't tolerate rowdy groups and like Old Man River said earlier they WILL call the sheriff if things get out of hand. I've seen it happen. I'm not saying you can't have fun...just do it with respect for others.
So you're saying that the M-80's should only be used for fishing huh?

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 AM   #59
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Brian, are you planning on doing what I think you are doing? I'll come just to see that rig. Maybe I can convince Teresa to come too. This is definitely something to think about.

jeff
While it has crossed my mind to bring the yak up on the sidecar, I think a 15ft kayak may be a bit much to haul for 4 hours on 64.

I plan on doing it locally for fishing trips but will need to do a few test runs before I would even think about the highway.

I'll probably be in gore-tex waders with a dry top and also use my hands for holding a fishing rod instead of beer. Around the campfire will be a different story.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #60
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,664
If I can get a kayak before then I'll bring it down, but I'll probably end up hanging out with someone in a canoe.

What kind of kayaks do you have? Maybe I'd like to check out one of those
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote