ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #61
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy View Post
If I can get a kayak before then I'll bring it down, but I'll probably end up hanging out with someone in a canoe.

What kind of kayaks do you have? Maybe I'd like to check out one of those

Ocean Kayak Trident 15
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #62
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
So you're saying that the M-80's should only be used for fishing huh?

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
While it has crossed my mind to bring the yak up on the sidecar, I think a 15ft kayak may be a bit much to haul for 4 hours on 64.
I want to see that!

[QUOTE=scott P;15267461]Actually, that is more boasting than reality.

That's not what I have heard but I just wanted to get that out. I'm not trying to discuorage anyone from coming. That was more or less a disclaimer.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #63
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy View Post
If I can get a kayak before then I'll bring it down, but I'll probably end up hanging out with someone in a canoe.

What kind of kayaks do you have? Maybe I'd like to check out one of those
If you're looking for a river boat, try to find a Dagger Outburst. If a great boat to get started in and learn and yet it remains a lot of fun for an experienced paddler.

If you want a sea boat, there is so much out there now that I've lost track. I still have my slick deck Anas Acuta and for me, it's ideal. If I ever bought another boat though, I'd get a Feathercraft. It's a folding boat and the smaller versions are okay up to class II and in some cases class III. The beauty is that it folds and can easily be transported on a bike.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #64
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
... I know they would appreciate a low key group. ...

A bit contrary to our adventure-prone personality types, but I'm with you Bob! I told the kids the people putting this on and those participating are respectful, intelligent, interesting, kind, and generous people from all kinds of backgrounds who all love to have a good time...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #65
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Okay, so I forgot about the SMIBS....
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #66
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Well I guess I got bad info. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
I'm all for having a good time myself.
Badguy I'll see about getting OMR on here to tell you what type of kayaks he has. I do know the are recreational kayaks.

Here is an example I pulled off the internet. This is not the model he has but for the most part they all look similar.

This is the boat 6USMC6 was referring to, more of a whitewater boat.

Then if you want to get more radical there are "squirt boats", thin kayaks

that you can run rivers with, do all sorts of aquabatics with including going underwater. That maneuver is called a mystery move.

That's what I used to do on a weekly basis for over twenty years!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #67
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
...That's what I used to do on a weekly basis for over twenty years!
Wow, you had to be in some kinda shape!!
Congrats on graduating to motorcycling, though
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #68
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Hey, more options!
The campground is right on the river and there is National forest land bordering the campground for about a mile upstream so whoever doesn't want to float could still come to the camp out and bank fish, or take a long ride, while the rest of the group is on the river. Just make sure you have a fishing license. The chances of a Game Warden coming by are slim but you never know.
Also to free up space on the canoe trailers, we could run all the private boats upstream, drop them off before hand, leave someone there to watch them, drive back and ride up on the shuttle. If there are too many people to shuttle because of this we could always run a vehicle or two back up and leave them there or get folks who are not floating to drive them back.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #69
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Wow, you had to be in some kinda shape!!
Congrats on graduating to motorcycling, though
Both sports require holding ones breath occasionally.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #70
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Ocean Kayak Trident 15
I meant what's for rent, but that looks like a nice kayak Would definitely be an interesting sight on a sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
If you're looking for a river boat, try to find a Dagger Outburst. If a great boat to get started in and learn and yet it remains a lot of fun for an experienced paddler.

If you want a sea boat, there is so much out there now that I've lost track. I still have my slick deck Anas Acuta and for me, it's ideal. If I ever bought another boat though, I'd get a Feathercraft. It's a folding boat and the smaller versions are okay up to class II and in some cases class III. The beauty is that it folds and can easily be transported on a bike.
Thanks for the advice!

I rented a Current Design Kestrel 12 footer last fall and really liked it, but I have nothing to compare it to. The guy I rented it from might be selling one, so I was thinking about asking him about it. I like the idea of being able to strap some luggage on it and taking a short trip downstream, and it's not too big either.

Those Feathercraft boats look awesome, but I can't see myself spending that kind of dough on something I'd use only once in a while. The Dagger looks nice, but I think I want the ability to carry something...it could definitely be fun though.

Quote:
Badguy I'll see about getting OMR on here to tell you what type of kayaks he has. I do know the are recreational kayaks.

That's what I used to do on a weekly basis for over twenty years!
My roommate in college did some whitewater kayaking...that stuff is insane! I thought about trying it, but still don't know if I have the balls for some of it The mystery move is wild as hell! I've never seen that before.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #71
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Re the Feathercraft.

If you decide that's what you want to do, watch eBay and craigslist. They come up every once and a while for a lot less than retail.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 02-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #72
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
I was thinking the same thing at lunch today.
What was for lunch? Did you save me any?

Hey Badguy, you live an hour from the best whitewater training area in the world...The Potomac from Great Falls down past Little falls. Some of the worlds best have started out, and still paddle, in that area. I used to make the trip up there once a week years ago.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #73
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

John Lugbill, Davie and Cathy Hearn and a slew of others all practiced up there.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #74
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
John Lugbill, Davie and Cathy Hearn and a slew of others all practiced up there.
I was working safety on the Savage River in 89 When Lugbill won the world Championship. Have a picture of Davie running the course somewhere around here.
I am good friends with Davies father, Carter. Years ago he and his girlfriend, Ursy, wanted some big water experience before a Grand Canyon trip.
We were going to run the New river gorge in West Virginia. The Wednesday before, the river gauge was at -1.5. Kind of boring. They were getting heavy rains in North Carolina which is where the headwaters of the New are.
The day of the trip we were dropping off a car at Fayette Station( the take out) and went over to look at the gauge. It was at 9.94'! Kind of BIG!
That was an interesting day. There were waves on there in the 14' category and the eddy lines where 30' wide, full of large boils and huge whirlpools!
When they got back from the Grand Canyon they said they didn't encounter anything on the Grand as big as they had on the New!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #75
Old Man River
Possumdog!

Oddometer: 485
The boats that I have to offer are as follows:
Old Town Discovery 158 (15'8")

Wenonah South Fork (15'8")

Wenonah North Fork (16'9")

Kayaks that are available:
Old Town Loon 111 (11'1")

Current Designs Kestrel 12 (12')

I should have enough .....

I will have a lot of new Kestrels in stock by the time of the trip. The new Kestrels are the Kestrel 12X that is brand new for this year - built with more volume and a lot wider in the middle for more stability.

All of the above boats are in excellent condition and are well suited for use on the Shenandoah.

Some additional information:
http://www.shenandoah.cc/safety.html
http://www.shenandoah.cc/what2bring.html