ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #76
Old Man River
Possumdog!

Oddometer: 483
I know this is a pain in the a$$, but, I will need everyone to read, fill out and sign a Release/Waiver before you can use the equipment or ride in the shuttle. CYA ya know!

You should print and sign the waiver ahead of time and bring it with you, this will save some time the morning of the shuttle. I will have a supply on hand for those that forget them. Please bring both pages of the waiver with you.

Link to the waiver:
http://www.shenandoah.cc/releaseform.html
Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #77
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,196
Never been up that way, we are just doing calm water right?
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #78
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,196

B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #79
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,676
^ About time someone asked that question. I didn't wanna sound like the wuss guy from Delaware that doesn't have a clue. I will leave that little detail for the day I jump in the river
Old 02-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #80
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Nice site, OMR!

As for the river, it's the kind of thing college girls can do on their own with no prior experience. Oh well, still pretty
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #81
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,676
Liver killer! Jeff Foxworthy-If you strap a bowie knife to your motorcycle, you might be a Smibneck

Hack screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 02:39 PM
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #82
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,322
You're kidding!!!

I worked river right on one of the gates about 1/3-1/2 down. Mary still has a hat that Davie, John, Cathy and a bunch of others signed for her.

I never did a lot of white water Bob but instead used to paddle places .like the mouth of the Delaware and Hen and Chicken shoals in sea kayaks. I have literally paddled from Main to Florida (at least pieces of it) mostly in British boats - Nordkapp, Pintail, Baidarkas (2), Orion, and my Anas Acuta. All of my white water stuff was on the Shenandoah with my brothers (Istill have an Outburst and Mary's Blast). My mom's place is right below Bloomery Bridge on Rt. 9. Brother Kevin has paddled most of the water on the East coast and he spends a week or so paddling in Costa Rica every winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I was working safety on the Savage River in 89 When Lugbill won the world Championship. Have a picture of Davie running the course somewhere around here.
I am good friends with Davies father, Carter. Years ago he and his girlfriend, Ursy, wanted some big water experience before a Grand Canyon trip.
We were going to run the New river gorge in West Virginia. The Wednesday before, the river gauge was at -1.5. Kind of boring. They were getting heavy rains in North Carolina which is where the headwaters of the New are.
The day of the trip we were dropping off a car at Fayette Station( the take out) and went over to look at the gauge. It was at 9.94'! Kind of BIG!
That was an interesting day. There were waves on there in the 14' category and the eddy lines where 30' wide, full of large boils and huge whirlpools!
When they got back from the Grand Canyon they said they didn't encounter anything on the Grand as big as they had on the New!

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #83
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
You're kidding!!!

I worked river right on one of the gates about 1/3-1/2 down. Mary still has a hat that Davie, John, Cathy and a bunch of others signed for her.
You know...I was thinking of the 87 invitationals. That year I was running safety with a throw rope on the bank.
In 88 I was a safety boater(in my squirt boat). Good thing not too many people swam! I got to paddle the course down to the mid section where the harder part of the course was with all the spectators gawking.
89 I didn't get my volunteer paper work in on time and they wouldn't let me help. I was up and down the course though watching the action and paddling the river before the races.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #84
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
...Here is a picture of compton rapid...

Did the Shen Rvr Outfitters outing once with work, years ago. They said we went through Compton rapid, but I don't remember seeing it

Water height is probably a factor in how exciting it can be. I only had that one experience with that area and that was over 20 years ago

I do know the North Fork can be pretty exciting when the water's up
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #85
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post

Did the Shen Rvr Outfitters outing once with work, years ago. They said we went through Compton rapid, but I don't remember seeing it

Water height is probably a factor in how exciting it can be. I only had that one experience with that area and that was over 20 years ago

I do know the North Fork can be pretty exciting when the water's up
Yep, in summer when the water is low, if you blink you will miss it but that doesn't stop people from dumping in it. High water produces 4' waves.
Speaking of high water...if it is too high OMR wont be able to put boats in because of insurance reasons.
He is at a meeting right now but when he gets back he can tell you all what the cut off level is.
Here is a link to the gauges..

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/current/?type=flow

Look at the Front Royal gauge reading. The company I work for uses the Luray gauge. I'll try to find out what the cut off is for the Luray gauge too.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #86
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,322
Quote:
You know...I was thinking of the 87 invitationals. That year I was running safety with a throw rope on the bank.
In 88 I was a safety boater(in my squirt boat). Good thing not too many people swam! I got to paddle the course down to the mid section where the harder part of the course was with all the spectators gawking.
89 I didn't get my volunteer paper work in on time and they wouldn't let me help. I was up and down the course though watching the action and paddling the river before the races.
I still have my boat sticker around here from the Worlds.

Prior to the start, a group of us got together and paddled the ICF flag up the river from the Bay - at the same time they hauled it up with the power flotilla. Running two boats at a time we paddled the 81 miles to DC in 27 hours (and we stopped at dark) and beat the power flotilla. When we got there the jackass from the ACA refused to recognize what we'd done and refused to accept the flag. I have very little respect for the ACA because of that.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #87
Old Man River
Possumdog!

Oddometer: 483
Over 4' on the Front Royal Gauge is a no-go for hard boats, but it depends on if the river is rising or receding. That's an hour by hour call.

If we can't go in hard boats, I can move everyone to our 6-man rafts. We will run rafts up to 5' on the gauge, but above five feet it's a no-go for all watercraft and we'll all be taking a nice long ride. Bwalsh has a great ride plan that he & I & some of my friends from DC took last Fall. Great ride! I'll let Bwalsh elaborate more.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #88
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,670
Thanks for the info on the boats and put-in conditions. I'm down for a Kestrel

I'd love to try the whitewater stuff, but I don't want to get into it without knowing whether I'd stick with it. Maybe I should get more flatwater time first though...
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #89
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Looks like it tends to run around 1.5' about this time of year. There was a spike of about 6.5' about Dec. 3. I guess it all depends on the rain pattern at the time. The best we can hope for is that it's as high as possible to still allow doing it. I wonder where the 4' limit stems from... it says flood stage is 12'

We've done the NF at Cootes Store at 3', 4', and 5.5'. It's most fun at 5.5'
Old 02-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #90
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Looks like it tends to run around 1.5' about this time of year. There was a spike of about 6.5' about Dec. 3. I guess it all depends on the rain pattern at the time. The best we can hope for is that it's as high as possible to still allow doing it. I wonder where the 4' limit stems from... it says flood stage is 12'

We've done the NF at Cootes Store at 3', 4', and 5.5'. It's most fun at 5.5'
The 4' comes from an arbitrary height an outfitter calls "to high to put out boats". It sort of correlates to the low water bridge in Bentonville being flooded over. 4' on one river may too high while 4' on another may be perfect.
A good example is the gauge on the New river I mentioned. You can run the river down to something like -2.5'. That correlates to what height the gauge was installed on the river bank.
Another example, based on an old guide book, paddling from Cootes Store(rt. 259) down to rt. 617, 3.0' is considered 0'(canoeing zero) on the Cootes Store gauge, ie: the lowest level an experienced canoeist can get down without scraping. 6'( a 3' rise) is considered a maximum level.
Each stream, creek or river has a different canoeing zero and maximum level based on the location (in elevation) of the gauge in regards to the level (in elevation) of the water.
Did I make that any clearer?