ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #91
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
...It sort of correlates to the low water bridge in Bentonville being flooded over. ...from Cootes Store(rt. 259) down to rt. 617, ...
That's interesting, Bob. So not knowing the section of river in question, I don't know what it means in terms of danger and difficulty. Certainly some people are willing to go in higher levels than others, based on experience and sense of adventure (much like motorcycling with other types of "levels"). So that's what I had in mind wondering about that limit.... like say that's where the novice begins to get in trouble. I'm totally with you on the nature of the arbitrary zero.

I think my friend Kirk has the same guiide you do... hehe... we always look for 3' as a gating condition. We put in at Little Dry River Rd. and take out just below the gauge actually, at an unofficial spot. That's because it's always been after work when we got started and that's about the end of the day there. It can get cool in the evenings in the Spring, and after getting showered in some of those rapids, it's good to get out. If we could get started earlier in the day, it would be cool to go to 617 or maybe further. That is definitely a cool little river to paddle, but it isn't where you'd choose to teach somebody who's new at it. I hope we get to do it again this Spring; it's been an annual event that we've enjoyed together the last few years.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #92
KShow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
All this talk has me hoping for some whitewater. I've got a Dagger g-ride 6.5 sitting here collecting dust. Last time it touched water was deep in the Grand Canyon a couple years ago. So if anyone plans on hitting any rivers around here id love to join. Doubt I'd bring it for the camping trip, kinda hard to fish out of it, but if someone would like to try it out I could bring it. Does the campground have space for a 21 ft camper, or is it a tent affair. I need to start following this post more closely.

Harley Davidson (noun) -The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effect of horsepower.
KShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 AM   #93
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 4,197
I'd like to do this with you all, but I don't have the time.

For anyone on the fence, here is a trip description.

This is one of the first rivers I boated many years ago. Very scenic! And very easy.

They used to run the "Virginia Championship Canoe Races" on this section. Lots of novice/first time boaters were in this race. A lot of people with children. There was carnage everywhere. But nobody died.

There is no odometer when it comes to pie - VACommuter
$5 Smug Mug coupon
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #94
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,958
Hey Badguy, or anyone else interested. The CCA(Canoe Cruisers Association) has a beginners whitewater class coming up May 14/15 on or near the Potomac just upstream form DC. They have about 7-8 spaces left.

http://www.canoecruisers.org/cca_mes...983972388a9d1a

You would have to get equipment. I am trying to figure out who rents equipment without having to take their high $$$ classes.
Man, I should get my certification if these places are getting $150+ for one day classes

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #95
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,664
That CCA class sounds pretty good, but I guess I'd have to get my hands on a whitewater kayak to take it? I see myself using a recreational type boat more often than a whitewater, so if I'm going to buy one, that's going to be it. If I could rent one for the class that would be cool too. Thanks for the heads up!
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #96
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

well I say go out with somebody experienced... cheaper and better than class
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #97
badguy
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
well I say go out with somebody experienced... cheaper and better than class
Works for me. You got a boat I can borrow?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #98
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Mike...
I said "somebody EXPERIENCED"!
I've never been in a kayak.
Better than a N00b in a canoe, but far from a master.
Watch for the guys who say things like "did this every week for 20 years" and/or similar such admissions
Might be a touch better than the average bear on a bike, though...
Old 02-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #99
badguy
Susan

Ok well I'll have to come down there to ride around the forest roads one of these days then

end threadjack
Old 02-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #100
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

restart threadjack

Okay, cool; I'll be waiting for ya

and now back to your regularly scheduled topic
Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #101
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Okay this is odd.... haven't experienced this before... this morninig it's telling me this thread is updated "Yesterday 10:55 PM
by scott P" but the last post coming up is my 7:55PM post. What gives?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #102
MapMaster
luddite

Oddometer: 670
Plans are set.
My son can join me Saturday night and canoe Sunday, so for me, two nights camping (Friday and Saturday). Him - one night, Saturday
I'd like to do a kayak on Saturday and a canoe for the two of us Sunday, but if splitting the mix like that is not doable, then I'll settle for a canoe both days.

Thanks,
Greg

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #103
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,073
If you are caging it, could I get yunz to bring me a case of Straub Dark down from the Burg n'at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
Plans are set.
My son can join me Saturday night and canoe Sunday, so for me, two nights camping (Friday and Saturday). Him - one night, Saturday
I'd like to do a kayak on Saturday and a canoe for the two of us Sunday, but if splitting the mix like that is not doable, then I'll settle for a canoe both days.

Thanks,
Greg
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #104
scott P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 10,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Okay this is odd.... haven't experienced this before... this morninig it's telling me this thread is updated "Yesterday 10:55 PM
by scott P" but the last post coming up is my 7:55PM post. What gives?

I may have NUKED a non family friendly post
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
The good old days, when cousins weren't considered off-limits.
scott P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #105
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,847
HBN and HBNette in for Sat night camping

Probably not going to float it this early
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is online now   Reply With Quote