User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
1f2frfbf OP
full-time fool

Oddometer: 42
Run... Or run faster? Airhead transmission question

I've been looking for an older airhead to fix and ride and have recently been offered a R60/7 that has, according to its owner, transmission issues.

Apparently it tends to jump out of 2nd gear intermittently. Is this a deal breaker or a pleasant garage garage fix (Ha!!!). I turn to the gurus at ADV to either get me in a lot of trouble or help keep me out.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1f2frfbf View Post
I've been looking for an older airhead to fix and ride and have recently been offered a R60/7 that has, according to its owner, transmission issues.

Apparently it tends to jump out of 2nd gear intermittently. Is this a deal breaker or a pleasant garage garage fix (Ha!!!). I turn to the gurus at ADV to either get me in a lot of trouble or help keep me out.
It really depends on how much he wants for the bike. If you could get it for less than $1000 ... and replace the transmission yourself ... you come out ahead.

The R60 was not the most powerful beast out there ... but smooooooth as silk. You can get working transmissions for ~$300 to $500 for something 'garunteed'.

www.ibmwr.org
and flEbay ...
Look into this sites parts pages too ...
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,032
That would be an R60/6 I believe, since they were discontinued for the /7 line-up, when the 800 and 1,000 were the only ones available.

There's a slight possibility the transmission is fine and the current owner doesn't know how to shift it properly since a few of the gears have stepped dogs that can feel engaged when they're only part way there. But as I recall, that was in third and maybe fourth. But it could have been second and third.

So if the dogs aren't completely engaged, it can pop out of gear. Otherwise, the trans will have to come apart and they're not an easy fix for the home mechanic requiring special tools and knowledge even to just open them up.

But it is possible to get a good used trans for three to five hundred as Beater mentioned.

If you can pull the trans drain plug (be sure to not pull the engine sump plug) and check out the attached magnet, it'll tell you a lot. Just quickly remove the plug and stop the hole with your thumb. If it's got a soft fuzzy afro, you're fine; slivers and chunks, problems.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Actually the R60/7 was the last R60, in fact it was the only R60 to have a factory disc brake.
It was available in 1977 and some leftovers (very few) were actually sold as 78 models. Never seen a 78, but have had the fact corroborated by a reputable source.

So, the big question to the O.P. is: Does it have a disc brake or not?

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
Sounds like a fun little scoot. I'm unemployed right now, so I have time to investigate that bike if you can drive.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Jumping out of 2nd is unusual for a 5-speed. I'd want to hear it run and ride it to assess the general condition of the 'box. Since 2nd is on the output shaft, if it needs that gear, it's a relatively inexpensive repair.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
1f2frfbf OP
full-time fool

Oddometer: 42
To add to the confusion, I actually haven't seen the bike yet, I've only been told that it's a /7 with transmission issues and the owner is a stand up guy, even if he does have a thing for Fiats, so I'm pretty sure it is what he says it is. I'll ask about the disc brake and will report back more when I know it. thanks for the pointers, guys.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Actually the R60/7 was the last R60, in fact it was the only R60 to have a factory disc brake.
It was available in 1977 and some leftovers (very few) were actually sold as 78 models. Never seen a 78, but have had the fact corroborated by a reputable source.

So, the big question to the O.P. is: Does it have a disc brake or not?

had one pass through my hands many years ago. A friend swapped the top end for a R100 topend, but left R60 markings on it, street sleeper
Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
Jumping out of 2nd is unusual for a 5-speed. I'd want to hear it run and ride it to assess the general condition of the 'box. Since 2nd is on the output shaft, if it needs that gear, it's a relatively inexpensive repair.
If it needs second gear more than likely it needs fourth gear as well. I think the male dogs for second are on fourth. I have seen the shaft itself worn down enough to cause shifting issues too. That and sloppy bearings can be part of it. It can sometimes add up pretty fast.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
If it needs second gear more than likely it needs fourth gear as well. I think the male dogs for second are on fourth. I have seen the shaft itself worn down enough to cause shifting issues too. That and sloppy bearings can be part of it. It can sometimes add up pretty fast.
Had a 78 R100 that jumped violently out of second, replaced 2cnd and I think fourth and it's fine now.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Had a 78 R100 that jumped violently out of second, replaced 2cnd and I think fourth and it's fine now.
That's what I am a sayin. When it comes to popping out of gear. One gear is rarely going to fix it.

Plus, those dogs get worn more than any other as far as I can tell.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
There are many used and good transmission for sale for few hundred dollars on ebay. Just replace it. It's not worth to rebuild the transmission.
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpe57 View Post
There are many used and good transmission for sale for few hundred dollars on ebay. Just replace it. It's not worth to rebuild the transmission.
Paying a shop like $80/hour and having them clean and replace everything, a rebuild cost me $700. I know I have a good transmission. Some people do them for $600; maybe less. If you can do it yourself.. even cheaper. Probably a couple hundred.

I haven't seen many transmissions go for less than $500 on ebay. That's not worth the risk of some strangers word that "yeah, it works good!" when you could just have yours rebuilt.

IBMWR may be a better (ie cheaper) choice if you can sift through the scammer emails.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,811
+1 on CCD.

Anton Largadier told me that most trans leave the shop for about $600. Some more, some less. In the end you have a new trans that will go another 100k+
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I haven't seen many transmissions go for less than $500 on ebay.
Ooh, here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-...Q5fAccessories

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote