User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #151
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,205
Quote:
KRULL! Oh my god. What an obscure reference.

Good movie, though
looks sorta like Datchew. Maybe we could photoshop some /2 slingers in place of that star-thingy

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #152
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,719
Ok, seriously agitated...

Ran to the auto zone and waited for a good 20 mins to "borrow" their harmonic puller. Take it home, and it's not as easy as it looks if the thing hasn't been removed since the factory installed it....
Marked the flywheel with the best stuff I could find..

I mean, is it always this hard? Check out the washers.

Took me 3 tries, but I finally got it off. Only to find this...

Not sure if I did it, probably, even though I was being very careful. I mean, this is supposed to be fun. And so far, it hasn't. Everything is fucked up and impossible to remove.

Such as...

and...

Not sure what to do. I really just want to throw the fucking bike through the window. I feel like I'm doing more damage by removing things to prevent further problems!!! I mean, WTF?! All I wanted to do was remove the crank seal and replace it like everyone was telling me to. But if I had know all this shit was going to take place, I would've left it up to faith. Shit.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #153
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Ran to the auto zone and waited for a good 20 mins to "borrow" their harmonic puller. Take it home, and it's not as easy as it looks if the thing hasn't been removed since the factory installed it....
Marked the flywheel with the best stuff I could find..

I mean, is it always this hard? Check out the washers.

Took me 3 tries, but I finally got it off. Only to find this...

Not sure if I did it, probably, even though I was being very careful. I mean, this is supposed to be fun. And so far, it hasn't. Everything is fucked up and impossible to remove.

Such as...

and...

Not sure what to do. I really just want to throw the fucking bike through the window. I feel like I'm doing more damage by removing things to prevent further problems!!! I mean, WTF?! All I wanted to do was remove the crank seal and replace it like everyone was telling me to. But if I had know all this shit was going to take place, I would've left it up to faith. Shit.
Those screws are screwed now... my next step would be needlenose type vice grips to speak sternly to them.

If the bike was brand new, shit would just fall off of it. I find one of the hardest parts of mechanicing is just trying not to bugger the stupid little screws and bits on my way in or out. Esoteric valve shim depths and cross ventilated spark plug gaps be damned.

Look how much fun youre having for only $200
Old 03-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #154
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,635
Go buy one of these before trying to remove any more JIS screws.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/150-...utm_medium=cse

Under construction
Al Tuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #155
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
Go buy one of these before trying to remove any more JIS screws.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/150-...utm_medium=cse

+1,000.000 and subscribed!

I know how all of this can be extremely frustrating, but keep it up and you'll be sure to enjoy the rewards. Those coils can be rewounded, nothing is impossible!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #156
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Don't usually see that in a motorcycle thread

I'm not going to say 'oh dont get frustrated'. Heck with that! I've been there. I think you oughta smash something. Preferably not your fenders.

I bent an axle on that trailer I spent all last week welding up. The right wheel is at a 20 degree angle The pipe's way too stout for anything I've got to bend it with and I don't have a torch.. So, now I have to take a cutting wheel to the top of the pipe, bend it down, then reweld it along with some braces so it doesn't happen again. It's a sunny day, I just had a good sammich and Len left a six-pack of Blue Moon in the fridge. It never occurred to me to get frustrated about it. It sounds like a heckuva good day

I've got a small collection of phillips screws from the Honda that look like that. A bunch more that have slots Dremelled in to them. You really can't touch one of them without an impact driver. I've got one if you want me to bring it over. Though I think you'll likely need the Dremel first

Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #157
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Were you trying to kick a wheelie with the trailer?? That how you bent the axel.?? I take it my Tecate is gone?? Takin a break from running around. Had a slice a beer at fellinis, back to auto zone for a wheel stud for the car. Then back to the house where I will break more shit
Old 03-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #158
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I took 1600 pounds of wood to the dump in the trailer. I think it bent on a speed bump. A bike won't usually be more than 600 so I think'll be alright.

Quote:
Then back to the house where I will break more shit
That's the spirit!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #159
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,996
sounds like my day.....

and +1 on the cut a straight slot and use an impact driver....

BTDT.....

Have 2 impact drivers..... Bought a second one cause it was cheaper than a new straight slot bit to go in the old one....
Old 03-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #160
MPH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Just Found This Thread, and ...

subscribed.

Here's my girl, bought it brand new back in 1978, rode it around until 1992, in storage since then, brought it back out last fall, did a lot of the stuff you're talking about. Ron Ayers has a lot of the parts you need, would recommend staying w/ same air filter setup, new foam is ~$5. Need to do my fork seals too, have some rust/corrosion on the fork tubes (rode it in the winter on salty roads, it was my only transportation after all!)
Attached Images

MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #161
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Hey MPH, nice ride!!

So, MSP was really cool. No charge for fork separation, and 5 bucks for shift seals. They didn't have the thickness I needed, so I bought 2 and stacked them per their advice. So, it doesn't pay to be thrifty when it comes to tools, and I know that. But, I don't know much about pneumatic tools if nails aren't shooting out of them.... (for Brad) so I bought a kobalt air wrench. MSP said no problems getting them removed and they didn't think my gun had the nuts to break the bolts on these, what, 25mm tubes!!! I am a dip shit. No worries, I'll return it someday.

Anyway...

Got my new favorite tool....why I never had one or lived without, I can't explain. Thanks KIRK!!!

I moved the coils and exciter to get to the stator screws with my new toy.

And, yes, had to cut slots in 2.

Ok...forks apart.

But check this out....

I broke my f'in' vise trying to get the seals out!!!!!!!!!!

Fuckers.....

But I did get them out and off to clean the stanchions and legs really good. Kinda knackered the outer edge since I had to use a pry bar to get the little shits out. But will not interfere with the seals. So, I'm now ready to pull the left crank seal, and if I have it my way, I'll be splitting cases by sundown.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #162
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
But I did get them out and off to clean the stanchions and legs really good. Kinda knackered the outer edge since I had to use a pry bar to get the little shits out. But will not interfere with the seals. So, I'm now ready to pull the left crank seal, and if I have it my way, I'll be splitting cases by sundown.
If fork seals have been in place for a few decades, I always get the fork sliders good and hot (smoking) with the heat wrench before attempting to pop them out.

Sorry about the vice!
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #163
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer fred View Post
If fork seals have been in place for a few decades, I always get the fork sliders good and hot (smoking) with the heat wrench before attempting to pop them out.

Sorry about the vice!
I need to buy a heat gun, another thing for the list. I use the torch sometimes, but I screw more things up when using that.

So, I'll leave the forks for the morning and focus on the top end.

Out with the old...

and in with the new!

Ohhhh.....shiny!

\

Those clips are a bitch to get in. Only had one commit suicide and fly around the room. Was scared it may fly in the bottom end. But no. I got them both in with little drama and just a small show..

Voila!

Did happen to forget to install the reed valve gasket, but no issue popping it on without removing the jug. I put a little 2stroke oil on the wrist pin and needle bearing for ease of install. Hoping to get the forks back together and on the bike tomorrow and pop the engine in the frame. I already found a complete stator for cheap, so I'll be waiting on that while I take care of what I can. Stalled again.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #164
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,259
Quote:

But check this out....

I broke my f'in' vise trying to get the seals out!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of weight lifting program are you on that gives you the strength to do that?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #165
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73 View Post

What kind of weight lifting program are you on that gives you the strength to do that?
P90X BABE!!!!! Haven't you seen my abs?!!! I can destroy a 6 pack in about 90 mins!!!!