Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #211
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,658
So I just took the little ts up to the gas station. Rode maybe 2 miles so far. Then I thought we should celebrate and go out for Pizza. I am now broke down at the pizza joint. Haven't looked at it yet because I'm starving. Hope I didn't blow up the engine. The kicker did fell tighter when I checked it. Uh oh.

hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #212
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,607
Hey Jenna, can you explain in detail how it broke down?

Did it slowly start to bog down then go dead or just refuse to start after you shut it down?

If it did the slow bog thing, it won't be a good idea to ride any more even if it starts up. without further investigation.

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #213
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

I rode it 6 miles with no issue, then it bogged out, it looked as though it was starved for fuel as there was no gas in the filter. I pulled the fuel line and got the gas going again and it would kick over fine. Then it bogged out again and the kickstarter was very hard to kick. I parked it and hitched a ride home and just brought it back. Brad thought it may be a stuck clutch and maybe I need to clean the carb and tank better than I did.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #214
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I rode it 6 miles with no issue, then it bogged out, it looked as though it was starved for fuel as there was no gas in the filter. I pulled the fuel line and got the gas going again and it would kick over fine. Then it bogged out again and the kickstarter was very hard to kick. I parked it and hitched a ride home and just brought it back. Brad thought it may be a stuck clutch and maybe I need to clean the carb and tank better than I did.
I hope that's the problem. Check the compression and plug, take a pic of the plug and post it.

Under construction
Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #215
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

I had a bad feeling this was going to happen. This was the whole reason why I was asking about engine break in procedures...

Before the madness..

Bleeding the oil pump...

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Shiny new chain after a few , errr', "mods"...

What I did yesterday...

New wheel bearing/hub assembly for the car.

Borrowing some gas from the exxon valdez.

The piston is shy, and rather difficult to shoot.

I don't really know what I'm looking at. There are some "score" marks on the piston, but nothing I could really feel. What's it supposed to look like?

Here's the plug..

I thought it looked good, but this is coming from someone who always looks at 4 stroke plugs.

Screened the oil, no chunks, no nothing...

Here's the clutch, not sure what I'm looking at here either. Everything looked brand new and not stuck.

I really don't know what to do right now. I also have an open ground somewhere as I was getting "shocked" when I brought it home. I need a new kickstart seal and not sure what else. A new top end>??? The oil pump was working and the lines were clean, did I starve it of oil looking at the plug? I guess they should look more oil fouled.

Anyway, I'm stepping away for now as I do not know how to proceed.

Suggestions???
Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #216
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,259

Looks like some scoring on the piston as best as my eyes can tell.
Hopefully just a soft seizure, it may be ok
Did you make sure oil was getting to the ends of the lines when you bled it, or just to the bleed screw. If memory serves me right, the bleed screw is just to make sure there is no bubbles in the line from the tank.
But don't take my word for it, between my bad eyes and drug and alcohol addled memory I could be wrong. Been many a year since I dealt with 2 smoke Suzukis.

Might be worth pulling the top end to check the piston.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #217
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73 View Post

Looks like some scoring on the piston as best as my eyes can tell.
Hopefully just a soft seizure, it may be ok
Did you make sure oil was getting to the ends of the lines when you bled it, or just to the bleed screw. If memory serves me right, the bleed screw is just to make sure there is no bubbles in the line from the tank.
But don't take my word for it, between my bad eyes and drug and alcohol addled memory I could be wrong. Been many a year since I dealt with 2 smoke Suzukis.

Might be worth pulling the top end to check the piston.

Yeah, I figured that. There are 2 small lines that go to the head, and they are uphill. Couldn't find a really good procedure for making sure it was getting there, so I filled those 2 lines with 2 stroke oil and then bled the pump. I guess I fucked that up royally.

Hey Andy, what's a "soft" seizure and what do I do about fixing it? Cylinder back to MSP and have them hone it and new piston rings? Just don't want to sink too much more money into it if I am incapable of not fucking it up. Thanks...
Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #218
norton73
drinkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Yeah, I figured that. There are 2 small lines that go to the head, and they are uphill. Couldn't find a really good procedure for making sure it was getting there, so I filled those 2 lines with 2 stroke oil and then bled the pump. I guess I fucked that up royally.

Hey Andy, what's a "soft" seizure and what do I do about fixing it? Cylinder back to MSP and have them hone it and new piston rings? Just don't want to sink too much more money into it if I am incapable of not fucking it up. Thanks...
A soft seizure means the scoring might not be bad enough to warrant new piston, rings and a bore job.
Sometimes the bike will run ok without a tear down.
You might be able to lightly sand the piston skirt and clean up the bore.

ummm...you did make sure the rings were located correctly using the pins in the ring lands? Also, did the guys that did the bore job chamfer the ports? Or expect you to do it?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #219
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

To me, things don't look too bad from what I can tell from the pic's.

What say the rest of Y'all?

Did you have the tell tale two stroke smoke, last time it was running? and is it still binding the kick start with the plug removed?

Under construction
Old 03-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #220
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73 View Post
ummm...you did make sure the rings were located correctly using the pins in the ring lands? Also, did the guys that did the bore job chamfer the ports? Or expect you to do it?
Yes, and, . They didn't mention anything of the kind one way or another. pretty sure they did it, I didn't notice the edge being sharp and the rings look complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post

Did you have the tell tale two stroke smoke, last time it was running? and is it still binding the kick start with the plug removed?
A bit of smoke, not a whole lot. Plug out, kick seemed, "normal".
Old 03-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #221
norton73
drinkin'

I was wondering if a ring had snagged in a port. Maybe call them to see if they just automaticly chamfer the ports. If they said nothing, then they probably did.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #222
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

The folks that did the boring, should have told you about washing the cylinder an chamfering the ports. We would have, but you had it all buttoned up before we had time to think of it.

Remember, I'm in the same boat with Norton73. (" Between my bad eyes and drug and alcohol addled memory I could be wrong. Been many a year since I dealt with 2 smoke Suzukis.")

Under construction
Old 03-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #223
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
The folks that did the boring, should have told you about washing the cylinder an chamfering the ports. We would have, but you had it all buttoned up before we had time to think of it.
So wait, are you taking the blame??? I know it's a learning process, but sometimes I feel like I ruin more shit when I try to fix it.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #224
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,141
... my 2 cents:

I think that the plug looks lean, aside from checking the oil pump, I would also take a good look at the intake boot to check for leaks. How was it idling?Fast idle is a sign of intake leaks and lean condition in a 2 stroke, and that could also cause that seizing by the exhaust port.

arguably.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #225
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
... my 2 cents:

I think that the plug looks lean, aside from checking the oil pump, I would also take a good look at the intake boot to check for leaks. How was it idling?Fast idle is a sign of intake leaks and lean condition in a 2 stroke, and that could also cause that seizing by the exhaust port.

arguably.
Idle sounded fine. Not fast. I will check for leaks and I guess I need to pull the top end again and take pics for you guys. Gonna take me a few days as I am afraid to go near it.