Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #286
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,302
A leak will make it run lean, if it's in the intake tract or the main seal on the magneto side.
A leak on the primary side will suck oil out of the transmission, the bike will smoke a bunch.

Filling the head? Are you sure you heard that right?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #287
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
See? that's the stuff you can't learn from a book. What other secrets are ya'll holding out on us?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #288
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,369
Right seal will not give you an air leak!! It will suck oil from the tranny and make it smoke like a SOB, usually resulted in a toasted tranny, not and engine seizure.

From the look of the piston, does not look lean, looks like a lubrication failure or a tight piston.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #289
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Yeah, Rod was saying that it looked a bit lean, but that it didn't look lean enough for a seizure. When I told him about the carb screw he basically screamed "bingo". I had no idea what an air leak could do so quickly to a 2 smoker. He was surprised I got as far as I did. "What, did you make it to your 3rd heat cycle?" Heat cycle, what the hell is that, I made it far enough to eat pizza and drink beer, then I had a bunch of hot flashes pushing it uphill! Does that count?

As far as checking for leaks, he began to tell me the process for blocking the top end and filling it with air, and I freaked out trying to figure out how the hell I was gonna do that. So, he wants to see the carb and we'll go from there. I really think that's it, he described a bit about the "cooling" process and how the air leak caused it to heat up.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #290
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grider Pirate View Post
Any air leak is bad. A leaky seal on the right side should be super obvious, since there be oil on the outside of that one. It would smoke to high heaven.
A gazillion or so years ago, I worked on two strokes all the time. I had a setup I built from a radiator pressure testing set that I used to do 'leak down' tests on two-strokes. basically, you make an airtight plug for the intake, and an airtight plug for the exhaust with a hose barb on it. To the hose barb, you connect a line that goes to a hand pump and pressure gauge like a blood pressure dealy. Make sure exhaust port is uncovered, and pump away till you get to X PSI (sorry, I totally don't remember, but probably 10-ish). If all is perfect, it will hold pressure for HOURS.
Yeah, he mentioned something about a rubber boat plug...and I used something very similar in dwv plumbing except it had a wing nut and a large fender washer to compress the rubber. I'll have to figure something out for the hose barb situation. After replacing all the other seals besides the r crank, they all looked VERY good for their age and none were leaking. I will not be splitting cases unless my leak test fails. The bike did not smoke much at all. So, it isn't pointing to the crank seal.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #291
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Heat cycle, what the hell is that, I made it far enough to eat pizza and drink beer, then I had a bunch of hot flashes pushing it uphill!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #292
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
Important tip for TS-185's.

If the tacho isn't working, Murphy says it's because the plastic gear that drives the tacho AND the oil pump is broken.

(And you'll seize the engine soon).

BTDT.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #293
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
If the tacho isn't working, Murphy says it's because the plastic gear that drives the tacho AND the oil pump is broken.

(And you'll seize the engine soon).

BTDT.

Pete
Good to know, I'm lucky, my oil pump IS working!!!! I checked it with a drill. But even better news to report, Rod at MSP let me know that the cylinder wasn't totally damaged and only needs a hone and clean. Same size piston and rings. Pretty happy about that seeing as I seized it, oh, about 4 times. Got the carb straightened out and just waiting for the piston and a new pilot jet.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #294
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
Rod at MSP let me know that the cylinder wasn't totally damaged and only needs a hone and clean. Same size piston and rings
That's great news. I was worried that since you'd already bored it over once that there might not be an over-sized piston large enough to handle it.

Look on the bright side, at least your head doesn't look like this

Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #295
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Look on the bright side, at least your head doesn't look like this
Ouch. Just a complete noob here, but those valves are supposed to seat flush-like ... right?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #296
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Just for the fun of it I'd like to bang those things back straight and see if it runs. It is a KLR after all.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #297
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
If the head is still on it, I haven't read the entire thread. you can make a plate out of steel to seal off the exhaust, make a gasket from gasket paper and just bolt it in place. If it's sucking air from the ignition side then the bike won't idle very low, going lean will make it idle fast. If the cylinder is off bolt a plate in place of the cylinder, either gasket paper or silicone for a seal. Most likely is it's sucking air it will be on the stator side as the tranny stays lubed and supple.

Not a $200 bike anymore.........it's hard to buy a non running bike and get it running for very little cash. I've got a MT250, which needed a piston....part of the stator (one coil bad).........and so on and on, can't sell it for what I have in it. Good bike, and lots of lookers, but dang I'm not going to sell it for $500 which is what people want. Hopping to sell it and blow the money on the TAT this summer, how ever far $800 gets me. Work sucks right now, and no classes I need are offered in the summer. SO, might as well hit the road. If I was Brad I could travel for a year on $800, gas will be the worst part.

Good thing not being married or having kids, you can leave an no one bitches at you. I just can't think of why anyone would get married, obviously not for the sex as that's the 1st thing that goes.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #298
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,807
Miss Jenna...

Status Please? Inquiring minds want to know...

I wanna see it run...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #299
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Miss Jenna...

Status Please? Inquiring minds want to know...

I wanna see it run...
Sorry, sorry, sorry. Just got the head and new piston back the other day. And now, by some miracle, I'm working!!! Got a very nice "art project" wood floor repair on a 1912 bungalow. 5/16" top nailed strip, quarter sawn white oak and walnut with buchanan borders!!! It's very fancy.!

So the bike waits patiently for me to attack it. Hopefully next week I'll be doing 10s of 20s of heat cycles!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #300
robertjludwigsr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Nice

the MC gods smiled on you too
robertjludwigsr is offline   Reply With Quote