Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #346
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I know I suck. Just drug a SL350 home and a R90 S, so I've got my hands full. I will be getting back to the TS soon, I promise.
, if we had this a year ago we would not lose you to Blasphimy

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #347
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,693
Just an update....

I've been teaching with a guy that used to own a small Husquavarna shop back in the 80's. He's well versed in 2 stroke motors, so I struck a deal. I have a habit of running out of steam, in this case, I ran out of money and patience. One thing I can't stand is to watch a vehicle rot away. I'd rather sell something cheap with the promise of "I'll get it running" instead of it sitting there. Well, he has a farm and a few cattle and just wants a bike to ride on the property. So I'm giving him the bike with the promise he'll get it running, and have all the electrical bits working and he can ride it all over his property. I'm in the city, so I don't have property. When I want to ride it, I'll ride it around his place, and when I'm ready to race it....I'll race it! It's a win win, I keep the bike and can free up some time and funds to get the SL350 going and he can ride and maintain the TS. I'm not quitting, but I know it will be up and running in no time once he gets ahold of it.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #348
Betteron2wheels
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Another CCI question

I also have a recently purchased 2 stroke fun for but for 100 bucks! And I got what I paid for; I cleaned the carb and it fired right up! The problem is, it has a lot of noise coming from the engine; itís hard to tell, it sounds like itís coming from the jug, but I suspect itís coming from the crank case. The oil injection tank is missing, the oil line that goes to the tank was plugged with a screw and the throttle cable from the handle bar only goes to the carb. The oil pump cable is still attached to the oil pump but it is not connected to the throttle cable splitter. The lines from the oil pump to the intake and crank case are still in place and appear intact. I added some 2 stroke oil to the oil tank to oil pump line and ran the bike for a few minutes with the pump held open, but didnít see any green appear in the intake and crankcase oil lines. The bike came with aftermarket Koni shocks, a chain tensioner, aftermarket tank, cone air filter and a few other modifications. My hypothesis is that a previous owner disconnected to the oil injection oil supply and starved the bearing. I took the magneto cover off and was able to get a small amount play in the crank at the magneto. I could use a sanity check, does this sound correct. If so, will both left side crank bearings need to be replaced, what about the right crank bearing? Is it worth the time and $$ to replace the upper rod bearing while there? Iíll be scouring ebay for a replacement oil tank and cover. Any help will be appreciated.
Betteron2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #349
john479
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteron2wheels View Post
I also have a recently purchased 2 stroke fun for but for 100 bucks! And I got what I paid for; I cleaned the carb and it fired right up! The problem is, it has a lot of noise coming from the engine; itís hard to tell, it sounds like itís coming from the jug, but I suspect itís coming from the crank case. The oil injection tank is missing, the oil line that goes to the tank was plugged with a screw and the throttle cable from the handle bar only goes to the carb. The oil pump cable is still attached to the oil pump but it is not connected to the throttle cable splitter. The lines from the oil pump to the intake and crank case are still in place and appear intact. I added some 2 stroke oil to the oil tank to oil pump line and ran the bike for a few minutes with the pump held open, but didnít see any green appear in the intake and crankcase oil lines. The bike came with aftermarket Koni shocks, a chain tensioner, aftermarket tank, cone air filter and a few other modifications. My hypothesis is that a previous owner disconnected to the oil injection oil supply and starved the bearing. I took the magneto cover off and was able to get a small amount play in the crank at the magneto. I could use a sanity check, does this sound correct. If so, will both left side crank bearings need to be replaced, what about the right crank bearing? Is it worth the time and $$ to replace the upper rod bearing while there? Iíll be scouring ebay for a replacement oil tank and cover. Any help will be appreciated.
Hi, I am so glad I readyour post. I bought a TS250 a few months ago and it sounds like I have the same problem as you. I have a vibration when I rev it and it sounds very 'vibraty.' Big end bearings are fine but I too noticed play on my flyhweel side so I assumed it was that. I changed just that side and found nothing had changed. My oil pump works btw. This made me think that the bearing journal (where the bearing sits on the crank on that side was worn) I've asked people and they say this is unlikely but it's my only explanation for the play. I'm not sure though if this is the source of the vibration.

I haven't taken it apart yet to inspect it further but I bought another bottom end of a slightly old TS as I hope to use the crankshaft from that as a replacement. Strange thing is when it arrived I checked for play and there is a little in the new one. Not sure if that is from worn main bearings but the play is definitely there and about the same amount. I'm wondering now if the crank is slightly out of line or something. Will know more when I strip it down again.

Keep me posted,

John
john479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #350
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,693
Welp, I feel like I should close this thread. Bike was sold a while ago. Running very well, I might add. A young feller from the New Orleans area had one when he was a kid, same year, color....yada. Well, he had to have it and it felt good to give it to someone who really wanted one. I wish I could've met him, but he had no time to get the bike himself. Thanks to all of you guys for your help. Currently working on a '72 SL350 I drug out of a chicken house down in middle GA. $200 bucks.......hmmm......
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #351
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 640
Cool2 The End

Nice to see a COMPLETION of this thread.
Thanks,
spo
Old 04-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #352
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
I was wondering what happened to this thread.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #353
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,141
Heck yea that's cool.

Now on with the SL resto thread
Old 07-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #354
Betteron2wheels
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Reviving an old post

I dropped this post here many moons ago and am finnaly getting back to it. With a lot og other project, I was distracted by lower fruit/easier bikes to play with. The bottom end bearing was the culprit, since 2012 I have repaired that and replace all of the bearings and seals in the engine, mostly reassemble it and am working on the frame. I'll go ahead and start a new thread with pics and all! Here's a progress pic,
Attached Images

Betteron2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote