Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #91
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,070
Well, I bought some dowels today, tapered them. Jammed them into the damper rod, I believe, and it most certainly held it, but still it won't release. I had to walk away. Currently, they are soaking in wd40.

P1050007

So back to cleaning. Took the front sprocket off...

P1050011

To clean the seal, and the shift seal. They both look much better.

P1050013

P1050014

Decided to blow out the oil lines and hit them with some silicone. Much more flexible now.

P1050015

More cleaning....bottom end.

P1050016

P1050018

much better....

P1050026

Cleaned all electrical connections, and greased.

P1050032

Check this awesome connection for the tail/break light.

<P1050027

P1050028

Got the horn sounding better. Turn signals and neutral switch working. Tail light, but no brake light. Filaments look good and switch tested good, wondering if not having a socket is messing with the ground. I know I'm getting a head of myself, but felt like being productive.

Not going to fight with the forks until someone can come over and help and attest to the fact that I am not a dumb shit....as I know I'm crazy.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #92
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,440
All the cleaning looks good, hope you get some help with the forks soon. Are you going to split the cases and install new bearings and seals? You might consider it,

as all the debris ( aluminum, dirt, gasket material) will damage the bearings in a big hurry. And wash right up to the new top end. Cleanliness is next to Dogliness applies to the inside of a motor at all times for long life and performance. Good luck, and keep posting your progress. Chris.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #93
Beater
Is it broke yet?

Oddometer: 3,070
Jenna - Got 2 gallons of the lemon oil ... Come by and grab some.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #94
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,143
front sprocket is shot!
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #95
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
front sprocket is shot!
Got it. New sprockets and chain are next. I tried to keep debris out of the bottom end. Guess I should drain it again? Planning to not split cases but replace the left seal as it seems to be able to replaced without splitting.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #96
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Ok. So how difficult is it to split cases? I'm think about racing this bike in isdt or vintage cc. I feel like I should just do it. So what am I in for and what kind of tools will I need? Thx
Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #97
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,440
At this point I would turn the motor upside down on run clean parts washer fluid into the bottom end liberaly. The substitute would be mass quanities of spray brake clean. Try not to turn the crank at this point, its not good for the bearings. Air pressure helps to wash it out too. After you are thru, use a squirt can or any kind of spray oil and hit the bearings good (mains and rod). WD40 after that to keep the rust down. Good luck, Chris.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #98
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I'm think about racing this bike in isdt or vintage cc. I
Now you definitely have my attention.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #99
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,708
As far as the damper rod holding tool: I was messing with a '76 RM370 a while back and also had a bitch of a time with the forks. I was able to order the proper special socket for like 5 bucks new from Suzuki. See service bulletin "Tools-8" for part number. You don't need the T handle, just the attachment and a long 3/8" drive extension.
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/te...ols%207-10.pdf

All bulletins here
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/techbuls/index.htm

I had a HELL of a time getting the old seals out too. Had to have a buddy with a good slide hammer help me out.

After all that work, I found out the forks were bent

There are some helpful guys on this Yahoo group too
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/tmsuzuki/
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:16 AM   #100
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:

To clean the seal, and the shift seal. They both look much better.

cleaning the outside of those seals does stop potential dirt migration. but you're right there, just replace them. they can't be $10 for both of them....
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #101
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
cleaning the outside of those seals does stop potential dirt migration. but you're right there, just replace them. they can't be $10 for both of them....
Will do. What's the best way to remove them.?

Hey bluebye, so flip it upside down and shoot it with a lot of brake cleaner, then keeping it upside down hit it with an air hose? Should I leave it draining for a bit? Really dont want to split the cases but do want to save the bearings. I've had 3 2stroke people look at the bottom end, and all of them said leave it. But can you really tell the condition of the bearings just by feeling the crank?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #102
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
As far as the damper rod holding tool: I was messing with a '76 RM370 a while back and also had a bitch of a time with the forks. I was able to order the proper special socket for like 5 bucks new from Suzuki. See service bulletin "Tools-8" for part number. You don't need the T handle, just the attachment and a long 3/8" drive extension.
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/te...ols%207-10.pdf

All bulletins here
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/techbuls/index.htm

I had a HELL of a time getting the old seals out too. Had to have a buddy with a good slide hammer help me out.

After all that work, I found out the forks were bent

There are some helpful guys on this Yahoo group too
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/tmsuzuki/
Man...thanks for this!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #103
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Will do. What's the best way to remove them.?
pull them out with seal puller.

they should not be difficult to remove like your fork seals :)

there is no pressure behind them, so they should be rubber with a spring. they don't have metal insert in them like the fork seals. after removed, wipe the shafts clean, grease the new seals and press them in with a deep well socket. be careful not to nick the seal edge that rides on the shaft..
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #104
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

So, got sprocket seal, spacer, and oring, chain and sprockets, manual (as the one i borrowed, sucks) grabbed a few master links, generic bearing removal tool. This little bike is getting pricey, but i've got to tell you...as much as I wanted to throw the forks and other things, I'm very happy to have a project there is no time constraint on. This little bike makes me happy just sitting idle in my basement, waiting for me to fix it. And thanks to all you guys, I'm not afraid to go forward knowing you'll back me up. I'm stuck until parts arrive. May tinker a bit with the bottom end and clean it up, but can't go near those forks as I still want to wrap them around a support pole.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #105
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,052
I think it's cool to bring old stuff back to life. I used to restore cars, it was great making the transformation from near junk to like new car.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote