Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #121
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Nope, still cannot get them apart. it's a long, boring story, but it just doesn't seems possible anymore. The hole at the top of the damper rod is a narrower opening than the damper rod itself. So, once you get your wooden dowel past the opening, it really doesn't hold the damper rod very well.

Did you ever say what year this bike is? The fitting I bought for my '76 RM370 works on some years of TS185 (L and M models, have to look up to see what years those are). I could mail it to you as long as you send it back
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #122
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
So, I'm at a standstill with the fork seals. I've tried everything. Removed both snap rings and cleaned very well. Bottom in vise and using the fork tube like a slide hammer. Everything fell off my workbench, but the seal didn't budge.
Then I tried to pry it out which is what the book says. Sure, pry 30 year old, crusty rubber out while using an instrument that bends because of the 30 year old rubber. Then I reassembled the forks, pressed down to keep the damper rod from spinning and using the air wrench. Nothing.
Then, I flipped them around in the vise and hung from the stanchion WHILE using the air wrench. Fucking nothing!!!!! I mean, what the fuck?!!!!

This is stupid, I'm pms-ing so had to walk away before I threw the forks across the room. Next I'm gonna try to melt the fuckers out. Not really, but I'm left with no options. The book sucks. The really don't even tell you how to take this fork apart. And in the process of trying to dig it out, I nicked the tub. Fuck. Not sure what to do now. Any advice besides taking them to a shop?

P1040995

P1040992

P1040987

P1040991
Take a wooden broom handle and sand/grind the end down to an angle. Now take this "tool" and stick into forks jamming it between the fork tube and the dampening rod. Next take air impact with hex socket and remove lower hex screw. I've done this on three sets of forks with no issues. The wood won't hurt anything. Next remove clip and pull out fork seals, clean, replace, assemble, ride.

SP
Old 02-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #123
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
Did you ever say what year this bike is? The fitting I bought for my '76 RM370 works on some years of TS185 (L and M models, have to look up to see what years those are). I could mail it to you as long as you send it back
Hey thanks, but it's an X model. 1981. Not sure it will work, but thanks a lot for the offer.!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #124
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil View Post
Take a wooden broom handle and sand/grind the end down to an angle. Now take this "tool" and stick into forks jamming it between the fork tube and the dampening rod. Next take air impact with hex socket and remove lower hex screw. I've done this on three sets of forks with no issues. The wood won't hurt anything. Next remove clip and pull out fork seals, clean, replace, assemble, ride.

SP
Phil, are you referring to the "tool" bird wanted to loan me? I don't believe it will work. Looking at the fische, my forks are quite different from previous models.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #125
yamty175
5 every section

Oddometer: 56
http://blackcatvintagetrials.com/200...oil-seals.aspx
These instructions on how to change fork seals are for a yamaha, but I followed them to the letter including buying the same tyre spoons. Once the forks were apart I soaked the seal area in a mix of ATF and Acetone - great penetrant. Still had trouble getting the seals out so I poured boiling water over the end of the slider, couple of whacks on the spoon with the hammer and out they popped.
Jonny.
yamty175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #126
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 12,505
These forks are gonna need Gorillia action Jenna, the standard procedure for leakie forks are ride the hell out of it after you get it running and the fork seals come later, unless there gushing! You cant teach these young kids nuthin!

Btw It was dusty on the power lines today.

Name:  dusty.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  131.8 KB

Under construction

Al Tuna screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 11:11 PM
Al Tuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #127
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,332
I've settled on a bike, Jenna. I want a Bultaco

there's a guy selling 2 on CL right now. He wants $400 for the pair...which I don't have I think I'm going to have to get a job. I'm running out of things to do without money.

Anyways, they're 2-strokes. I'm going to start tracking down info on vintage 2-stroke racing. Maybe we can start a season within the next year or so. We'll need to get bikes sorted out and practice a bit. If you can talk to those folks you know that race we could get some insider info. Damn this is gonna be fun.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #128
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Here's some more stuff...

There's this here thingy-mabob...

Then, this doohickey...(strange, that's actually a part)
Absolutely awesome.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #129
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
So, I'm at a standstill with the fork seals. I've tried everything. Removed both snap rings and cleaned very well. Bottom in vise and using the fork tube like a slide hammer. Everything fell off my workbench, but the seal didn't budge.
Then I tried to pry it out which is what the book says. Sure, pry 30 year old, crusty rubber out while using an instrument that bends because of the 30 year old rubber. Then I reassembled the forks, pressed down to keep the damper rod from spinning and using the air wrench. Nothing.
Then, I flipped them around in the vise and hung from the stanchion WHILE using the air wrench. Fucking nothing!!!!! I mean, what the fuck?!!!!

This is stupid, I'm pms-ing so had to walk away before I threw the forks across the room. Next I'm gonna try to melt the fuckers out. Not really, but I'm left with no options. The book sucks. The really don't even tell you how to take this fork apart. And in the process of trying to dig it out, I nicked the tub. Fuck. Not sure what to do now. Any advice besides taking them to a shop?
I apologize for missing this thread.
And I'm amazed and flabbergasted and a bit alarmed that, with the exception of the PMS bit, you pretty much precisely described many of my instances of frustration with my /2 project.

I guess they're right. Women really are better at talking about feelings.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #130
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post

there's a guy selling 2 on CL right now. He wants $400 for the pair...which I don't have I think I'm going to have to get a job. I'm running out of things to do without money.
Which bultacos do you speak of? I'm still in the dirtbike market
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #131
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew View Post
I apologize for missing this thread.
And I'm amazed and flabbergasted and a bit alarmed that, with the exception of the PMS bit, you pretty much precisely described many of my instances of frustration with my /2 project.

I guess they're right. Women really are better at talking about feelings.
Ha ha....no worries Matt. I gotta admit, I'm a different kind of chick. At 19, I was riding around downtown Detroit with a pink, pearled handle 25 sticking out of my jeans. No work today. No parts to destroy, it's all good.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #132
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,332
The guy at the local VW shop happens to own a Bultaco, a Hodaka and a Husqvarna. He said he used to do trials and hare scrambles with AHRMA. I told him if he knows anybody with a Bultaco for sale that I'd trade them a Volkswagen for it I'd like to try racing if it's not too expensive and knowing people that do it would be helpful. I'll tell ya what I find out.

I tried to turn over the engine in the bug today. Seized. One plug was rusty so I'm betting some moisture got into the cylinders and stuck a ring. I poured ATF in all 4 cylinders and rocked it back and forth until it finally broke free. Valves are adjusted, new plugs, a healthy soaking in oil and a new battery. I think I'll try to fire it up first thing tomorrow.

When the weather turns bad I'm throwing a tarp over the bug. I'll likely be busy on it tomorrow but I'll be free the rest of the week. If you get some parts in for the Suzi and want some dumb muscle let me know.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #133
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
If you get some parts in for the Suzi and want some dumb muscle let me know.
Got some seals in today, but probably won't work on it till this weekend or next week. I'll let you know, but I did get the crank seal that we can replace without splitting cases. Sorry about the bug.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #134
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Flywheel removal question. Here's my flywheel tool.

So, I don't get it?? The inside isn't threaded and all the manuals I have on these bikes use this flywheel tool. So what do I need to pull this sucker? Is it tool making time? I'll need to get my welder back I guess. Beater to the red courtesy phone...
Old 02-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #135
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 12,505
Hi Jenna, here is what the flywheel puller should look like. You could make one fairly easy.

http://www.repairmanual.com/online/f...bolts-ds-mp13/

Or a Harmonic balancer puller you can get at most auto parts stores. might work.

Under construction
Al Tuna is online now   Reply With Quote