Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #31
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,558
The tires are mounted warmed on my Orange County driveway. I tried a lot of techniques and rotated the tire and wheels to get the least weights. popped the beads a few times too to check the rim for leaks.

Tourances can usually be mounted without any weight at all.
TKC80's that were from Germany used one or two weights, (tape)
The Korean models sometimes take more weight.

I don't ride in mud unless I'm stuck. I have ridden worn Tourances in mud and it was about as far as you can get from traction without being on slicks on ice. Very close to grease, but once I got moving steady was the key. Though the front would begin to plow and the rear would want to come around. I'd have to stop and re-group. Only about 200 yards or so. Three dabs no drops.
They did not feel real good on the loose sand at Alabama Hills, though I was fully loaded with much more gear than I would normally have for off road travel.
I have ridden some wet dirt and gravel no problems, the greasy stuff I stay off of as above. In really soft dirt or sand they don't feel quite as good as the TKC80. I suspect the blocks just don't dig into the soft surface as well. Though I am certainly no tire expert. Just feeling my way.

The blocks move around a little more when new than TKC80's but it isn't that bad. Nothing to lose traction from. I seem to recall seeing some early pictures of blocks shearing off, but my two sets have not exhibited this. I have not ridden hard on dirt with these either. All my dirt travel was pretty heavily loaded and alone out of the way gravel or graded dirt roads. I wasn't about to go traction testing 1,000 miles from home with a load of camping and travel gear on.

I'd buy more of these if
1. They were more easily available, (as in SWMoto stocking them)
2. The beads didn't leak so much, (A friend also has this issue, so I know its not just me)
3. that weight nit. And I'm none too happy about the super stiff sidewalls. That would make a field repair if I had to put a tube in, a major pain, maybe near impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
I wonder if you got the bead hot (very warm) before you mounted them if it would help seat the bead on the rim. I don't know your climate temp but I would think that the hot summer days here in Texas would let the compound soften enough to seat on the rim better. I like the fact that you are getting 13,000 miles out of you rear tire, that's 4,000 miles better than I average out of my rear Tourance. How do they do in mud, and I don't mean knee deep mud, just muddy roads.
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #32
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 964
Just to add, not sure if it's clear or not but, Heidenau is a German made tire and they've been making tires as long as just about anyone. The factory where's they're made also produces other brand name tires as well. Apparently it hasn't been until the last couple years that they've made it stateside mostly due to internet hype. I think we're lucky to have this brand here and I hope they sick around!!

P.S. I have no affiliation to Heidenau, just a happy customer after months of waiting and reading.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #33
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,129
Quote:
They are adequate on tarmac
Quote:
low on fun (noisy, less tarmac grip than TKC
Jeebus. Someone care to flesh this out for me? Are you saying that you just have to drone on tarmac at 65-70 because of wear? Or risk death every time you see/exceed the ton from a high-speed tank-slapping death wobble? Or can't lean the bike over and have fun in the corners because of safety issues concerning grip? I understand that there is a trade-off between Tourance/Anakee level canyon carving and the TKC , I expected similar of the Heidi and I can live with that. Even more performance drop from the heidi's? I sure hadn't heard/read that there was even worse cornering/higher speed performance out the Heidinau (compared to the TKC's). That may be a a couple of compromises I'm unwilling to make except if on a special trip where I get to
Quote:
safely motor at aggressive speeds down hundreds of miles of gravel.
I can maybe handle slowing down some on the straight paved bits (hard to do in Texas) but I'm not willing to ride the tasty twisty paved bits like I'm in a f'in parade.

Screw the noise. That is of zero concern to me. (I've ridden on Karoos and they sound like mud-grips. Didn't care.) Street ability, dirt road traction, mileage at speed. Each weighted at a third. I was hoping the heidi was the true all-rounder for my kind of riding on a GS Adventure. I don't think my expectations are that unreasonable, but maybe they are. I'll compromise some grip in the dirt and on the street, endure some wiggling, learn to ride around some shakes, but Good God, I don't want to ride like I'm in my pick-up truck.

It's looking more and more like a TKC 80 on the front and change out between a TKC/Tourance rear. Try to stay out of dirt/sand gnarlies on the Tourance and off the throttle on the TKC. Sucks.

I've owned my GS Adv for 34K fun miles but this tire choice thing is making me consider going orange to get some better all-round tires for how I ride. Frustrating. I need to pull the trigger again and there is just nothing out there.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 07:07 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #34
Highwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Slow Old Guy

Perhaps you missed this sentence:
"They are adequate on tarmac, excellent on gravel, good in rain, best mud tire yet, though a fully-loaded GSA in mud is just stupid."
Highwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #35
Refplusten
Relaxed...

Oddometer: 199
I've ridden my buds 1000 wee-strom on the version 1 K60 on some great paved twisties doing 100km/h (60km/h zone) and had a great time and had no feeling that death was imminent. Felt good and sure footed. I have no quams with getting the K60 for the rear of my GSA. I do have MINOR reservations about the front due to the somewhat common issue of it losing air for no apparent reason... But I usually don't make the best choices in life so I'll probably get it anyway. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #36
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,129
Quote:
Perhaps you missed this sentence:
"They are adequate on tarmac, excellent on gravel, good in rain, best mud tire yet, though a fully-loaded GSA in mud is just stupid."
Didn't miss it. I quoted part of it. Just wanted more info on what "adequate on tarmac" meant. Still wanting. Just asking for data. This concerns me
Quote:
low on fun ...... less tarmac grip than TKC
I ride for fun. I have a truck for transportation.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 09:01 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #37
jamesp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
I have pictures of all three versions if someone wants to see it or post it for other to see.
pics from PCfly (thanks).

first pic is version 3 on the left & version 1

2nd pic is version 2 on the left (with a front)
jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #38
rallen
"Lost with a Purpose"

Oddometer: 237
But they're all so purdy

I'd be happy with any of them if they would ever get here-
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #39
Refplusten
Relaxed...

Oddometer: 199
Does anyone know if they have changed the design of the front at all?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #40
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplusten View Post
Does anyone know if they have changed the design of the front at all?
From what I've been told about the fronts......no, they have stayed the same throughout.

I might be wrong saying this BUT........I believe it's just the big bike sizes that the thread patterns had the three version changes. Don't quote me, but I believe all the regular sizes for smaller dual sports still have version 1 or 2?!

P.S. Thanks Jamesp for posting the pic's! I think that takes away the myth of what these things look like and gives a clear idea of the evolution thus far.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #41
Rick001
Never too old

Oddometer: 616
I'm running the 140 on the rear of my R1100GS and the 110 on the front. They are a bit noisy on the tar, but I have learnt to live with that. I have just returned from a 2000km trip - Tar, dirt, rocks, wet dirt roads. I love them. They seem to be great all round tyre. I got 17,500 km out of my last front K60 - tar & dirt, so can't complain about wear. They appear to be reasonable in the wet ( common sense needed of course - they are not a road tyre after all.) and pretty good on the dirt. If the back wears like the front did, I would expect about 12000km - 13000km out of it.
All in all, I'm very happy with them as an "all round tyre"
Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 AM   #42
southern cross
WARDY

Oddometer: 309
K60's

I run 1st edition on my wee strom . So far 16000 kms with lots to go on front and rear has about 2/3000kms yet but is totally squared off, so much so that I can feel it rise and drop over the edges when cornering.
My experience has been; excellent milage, v good on all types of dirt (every bit as good as previous tkc80s), noisy as mud tyres and it bugged me, good in heavy rain, not as good as tkc80s on dry or wet bitumen but still o.k.
Was planning a change but edition 3 may change my mind.
In no way could they be labeled a bad tyre. Oh 110 and 150.
southern cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #43
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 722

Just received this new front tire for my GS size 110/80B19 seems to be the second version. So that size also went thru all 3 versions. I thought the 110/80 19 went from version 1 to 3 but apparently not!

BordenBmw screwed with this post 02-28-2011 at 11:29 AM
BordenBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #44
Lord Vader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Not so sure what some guys are on about? I ride my(old style K60) Bike usually at around the 90mph mark. Done over 100mph on them without any issues.In the DRY! i chuck the bike happily into any corner.I just take it a bit easier when wet
Old 02-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #45
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Not so sure what some guys are on about? I ride my(old style K60) Bike usually at around the 90mph mark. Done over 100mph on them without any issues.In the DRY! i chuck the bike happily into any corner.I just take it a bit easier when wet

Good to know.

Could you put a pic of your front tire. I wonder what is the difference between version 1 and 2/Scout for the front, lots of pics out there for the rear in all 3 versions but not much for the front, thanks

BordenBmw screwed with this post 02-28-2011 at 11:34 AM
BordenBmw is offline   Reply With Quote